Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2007 6:28:46 AM EDT
looking for any tips or issues i should be aware of before sending a care package over to iraq...

so far all that he has asked me for is some hoppes 9... i don't know how well that is going to ship... but i'll bubble wrap it...

some of his guys are jealous of the mags i gave him (D&H w/ MP Gen IIs), so i am going to send over a bunch of magpul gen II followers for them... i was also going to ship over some surefire batteries and maybe a couple lens pens (apparently there are quite a few ACOGs in his unit)...

we were also going to send him some magazines, DVDs, powdered drink mix, trail mix... any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT for night crowd...

no one has ever sent a care package over before?
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Magazines (the reading kind), Wolf dip, batteries, calling cards(this is a biggie, I hear), jerkey, tea, hard candy, dehydrated food, energy bars, to name a few.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
If he has a microwave you can send easy mac, soup mix, etc...
I lived on easy mac.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank God somebody brought it up again.

If i send Skittles will they make it without becoming a big blob of sugar?

About how much does it cost to send to Iraq?
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The post office has two flat-rate boxes that cost $8.95.  Stuff and ship.

Remember, we who are sending boxes, only pay to the APO/FPO and the military picks up the freight from there.  All USPO shipping methods may be used including Parcel Post for bigger boxes.  

5sub
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
looking for any tips or issues i should be aware of before sending a care package over to iraq...

so far all that he has asked me for is some hoppes 9... i don't know how well that is going to ship... but i'll bubble wrap it...

some of his guys are jealous of the mags i gave him (D&H w/ MP Gen IIs), so i am going to send over a bunch of magpul gen II followers for them... i was also going to ship over some surefire batteries and maybe a couple lens pens (apparently there are quite a few ACOGs in his unit)...

we were also going to send him some magazines, DVDs, powdered drink mix, trail mix... any other suggestions?

We've been supporting soldierts in Iraq for a while now.  Thread is tacked at the top of GD.  See page 4 for some lsts of suggestions.

5sub

Oh, Gold Bond foot powder ALWAYS seems to be needed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 1:59:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#8]
FYI..don't go to the UPS store to ship anything..They will charge you 5 times what the PO will..The flat rate international/domestic boxes work well for snacks and stuff..if you pack it well the stuff won't get destroyed when they toss it on the pile or drop it from the truck..  I always made sure to have the custom form and everything filled out before I showed up b/c the line goes quicker when you don't have to stand in it twice..
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#9]
In this thread it lists what many are shipping.  I have sent several care packages based off the list in the thread.  Its a Great cause and I know it will make for smiles on the other side!

Skip towards about page 25.
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=601471
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
In this thread it lists what many are shipping.  I have sent several care packages based off the list in the thread.  Its a Great cause and I know it will make for smiles on the other side!

Skip towards about page 25.
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=601471

Check Page 4 also.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#11]
One of my fraternity brothers has been there for awhile.  When I asked him about what he needed he mentioned that they (at least his unit) gets alot of packages from churches and what not, so in his case, he asked for the stuff that usually gets left out.  Cigarettes, Dip, Magazines, etc.  He only gets back to the FOB once a month so those things are in HIGH demand.
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Assembling one for a church group shipment now.

4 Tuna pouches
3 boxes of Propel
24 AA batteries
2 packs of Baskin-Robin's hard candy.
1 pack of coffee candy
1/2 case of Easy-Mac
1 bag of disposable razors
1 bag of q-tips
2 packs of wet-wipes

and my wife insisted on calling the pastor to get clearance for:
4 MP followers
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We've been supporting soldierts in Iraq for a while now.  Thread is tacked at the top of GD.  See page 4 for some lsts of suggestions.

5sub

Okay, so when my husband was activated with a local reserve unit, the guys got to talking about the benefits of using Gold Bond to keep their, um, junk nice and dry/fresh.

Somebody said, "Just DON'T use the medicated kind. It kinda stings."

A buddy of ours, who is practically a legend in that unit, pipes up: "What? I think it feels like a thousand fairies tickling your balls."

Direct quote.

Anyway, we're sending over a couple packages this week - DVDs, jerky, granola bars, energy drink mix - always winners.

DON'T send microwave popcorn unless you're positive they have access to a microwave, or else that's just annoying.

Depending on where they're at, some guys have access to an xBox/PlayStation, so you could send some games.

Keep in mind, as somebody said above, the USPS shipping only gets it to a military installation. Don't pay for overnight shipping thinking it's going to get to Iraq tomorrow. Similarly, shipping insurance is not going to cover what happens in the back of a C-130.

ETA: Best plan is to get in touch with him somehow and ask for requests. What's available in his PX/chow hall is probably wildly different than the next guy.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 2:54:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Assembling one for a church group shipment now.

4 Tuna pouches
3 boxes of Propel
24 AA batteries
2 packs of Baskin-Robin's hard candy.
1 pack of coffee candy
1/2 case of Easy-Mac
1 bag of disposable razors
1 bag of q-tips
2 packs of wet-wipes

and my wife insisted on calling the pastor to get clearance for:
4 MP followers

Unless they asked for those items specifically, skip the wet-wipes, q-tips, and most especially the razors.
Those items are normally very easy to get.  
Toiletries and playing cards are in abundance.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5sub

Okay, so when my husband was activated with a local reserve unit, the guys got to talking about the benefits of using Gold Bond to keep their, um, junk nice and dry/fresh.

Somebody said, "Just DON'T use the medicated kind. It kinda stings."

A buddy of ours, who is practically a legend in that unit, pipes up: "What? I think it feels like a thousand fairies tickling your balls."

Direct quote.

Anyway, we're sending over a couple packages this week - DVDs, jerky, granola bars, energy drink mix - always winners.

DON'T send microwave popcorn unless you're positive they have access to a microwave, or else that's just annoying.

Depending on where they're at, some guys have access to an xBox/PlayStation, so you could send some games.

Keep in mind, as somebody said above, the USPS shipping only gets it to a military installation. Don't pay for overnight shipping thinking it's going to get to Iraq tomorrow. Similarly, shipping insurance is not going to cover what happens in the back of a C-130.

ETA: Best plan is to get in touch with him somehow and ask for requests. What's available in his PX/chow hall is probably wildly different than the next guy.

Laurel, All,

there is Gold Bond FOOT powder AND gold Bond BODY powder for those 'sensitive' areas !!

5sub
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

About $8.65 for the standard USPS shipping box, about 12" square by 3" thick, any weight that'll fit.

Be prepared to fill out a customs form.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:37:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

About $8.65 for the standard USPS shipping box, about 12" square by 3" thick, any weight that'll fit.

that was definitely a surprise i wasn't expecting... standing in a crowded USPS line and when i finally get up there having them ask if i filled out a customs form...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I just sent off a box of goodies to the Marines in Haditha City. Candy, toothpaste, crackers, coffee, jerky, babywipes...

52#s for $70.00...next time I'll do the $8.95 boxes. They are small, but the boxes are free and it's no trouble. Just extra paperwork is all!

Be aware of the restricted items...

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that was definitely a surprise i wasn't expecting... standing in a crowded USPS line and when i finally get up there having them ask if i filled out a customs form...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top