Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2005 10:58:32 AM EST
We all seen the tv ads. So does anyone own one ? Do they really work . What this about they cause cancer ? My mother keeps talking about buying one for the house should I stop her form wasting her money.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:01:08 AM EST
I'll have to check on this but, I think there's a lawsuit against them going on right now. Something about false advertising / unrealistic claims.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:05:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By SigBlueStar:
We all seen the tv ads. So does anyone own one ? Do they really work . What this about they cause cancer ? My mother keeps talking about buying one for the house should I stop her form wasting her money.

If you check Consumer Reports they get really poor reviews compared to other air purification systems that are 1/2 the cost.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:07:33 AM EST
do they clean the air?
ya

are the worth 300$?

no

kmart has a knock off for 150 that aint to bad.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:08:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By rcoers:

If you check Consumer Reports they get really poor reviews compared to other air purification systems that are 1/2 the cost.

i was just gonna say the worst rated. sharper image sued for loss of bidness and l-o-s-t!
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:19:23 AM EST
I have one & also have a Honeywell HEPA. There is no contest, the Ionic breeze is a hunk of $300.00 trash, yes the hepa is more costly to run, louder & eats more juice. The ionic breeze is in my bedroom & does fairly well there, if I could get my money back I'd do it in a heart beat. If the ionic breeze was that good it would have replaced the hepa's in the hospitals & microchip mfg. plants.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:24:49 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:26:10 AM EST
You'd be better off getting high quality HEPA filters for you HVAC system.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:30:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By brouhaha:
Some people are reporting REALLY bad headaches after using the IB.

This is because the IB creates ozone, which can cause headaches as well as being linked to cancer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:36:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By QuantumPion:

This is because the IB creates ozone, which can cause headaches as well as being linked to cancer.

Is there a link or a source on this ?
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:37:16 AM EST
Our dispatch center was going through "colds" and "viruses" with all of the police/fire dispatchers. This lasted for almost 4 years. Our PD was new then, and we all just kind of chalked it up to new construction, use of some kind of fibers in the insulation, whatever. We tried all kinds of stuff to rid ourselves of problems. Alcohol swabs on the telephone handsets, every shift vacuuming, dusting, etc etc.

Then the Chief bought an ionic breeze. Now I am not saying it works. But, our sick leave in dispatch dropped dramatically. I mean 60-70 %. I watched them clean it once. They take out the blades and wipe them off. They are dirt black after just a couple of days. (There is no smoking allowed in the building, by the way.) I was impressed.

Anyway, for us they work, they are now installed all over the building.

A side note: I have seasonal allergies, but none to speak of in the last couple of years while at work. But, when I leave the building.......................aacchhooo.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:38:23 AM EST
I asked the same questions, and still bought that POS. The top of my TV collects more dust than the Ionic Ripoff. Run away.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:41:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/25/2005 11:52:49 AM EST by npd233]

And they make a peculiar odor too. Hard to describe, not offensive or anything, just odd.

Get a Venta. Much more effective.
Another Edit: Bed Bath and Beyond sells Ventas if you want to check them out. Buy it, try it if you don't like it, return it!
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:42:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By npd233:

And they make a peculiar odor too. Hard to describe, not offensive or anything, just odd.

its called OZONE
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:43:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By npd233:

Like after a lighting storm??

Ozone.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:44:54 AM EST
Ozone bad for you right ? Same stuff that protects us form the sun right ?
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:45:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/25/2005 11:49:30 AM EST by ch2000]

Originally Posted By ClayP:
I asked the same questions, and still bought that POS. The top of my TV collects more dust than the Ionic Ripoff. Run away.

Same situation in our house, it seems to pick up some dust but damn mine is only 5 ' from the television and you said it the TV works better than these pieces of crap. I recently read in Consumer Reports that it was suggested and recommended that people should save their money as of 10 units they tested only one seemed to work. The unit that did work to some degree was a unit produced by Whirlpool and they state specifically that the Sharper Image unit was the worst one of the group.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:46:26 AM EST
yes, that weird sweet smell is ozone. The Denny's near me has an ionic breeze in the smoking section and it drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:47:56 AM EST

ozone in the upper atmosphere blocks UV radiation. if you breathe it, it is poisonous just like carbon monoxide. small amounts from the IB or a thunder storm won't hurt, just like a small amount of car exhaust won't kill you. But it's still not good for you, and is known to cause migrane headaches and may possibly cause cancer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:50:02 AM EST

its called OZONE

Like after a lightning storm??

Ozone.

Yeah, I know ya wiseacres... I was adding that to the ozone quote to let him know about the smell.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:52:51 AM EST

ozone in the upper atmosphere blocks UV radiation. if you breathe it, it is poisonous just like carbon monoxide. small amounts from the IB or a thunder storm won't hurt, just like a small amount of car exhaust won't kill you. But it's still not good for you, and is known to cause migrane headaches and may possibly cause cancer.

Ozone is also a highy reactive oxygen molecule.

Known as O3.

Research has proposed that it MAY hinder oxygen binding sites!
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:53:05 AM EST
so what do we recommend. I am in small apt and have been considerring an air purifier.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:54:14 AM EST
OZONE-like the laser printer smell
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:54:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/25/2005 11:56:05 AM EST by Gary_631]
My buddy has 4 IB in his house. Him and his wife both say it work. 3 of the units sound like jet hiting ABers evey 5 sec or so and I can't stand being in a room with those 3, other one is very quite. At my work we have 3 smokers in a small office. They run www.ecoquestintl.com/home_promo/index_home.asp and other then the color of the walls you can't tell they smoke in there. The ozone on the eco quest can get really bad but you can trun it to a level you like or turn the ozone off and it still works great. I've taken the unit home to try out on a flooded basement after we had clean the carpet and it had dryed out. 30 mins after I had it on full power you couldn't smell the stinky carpet and its been over a month and smell hasn't came back.

just my .02
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 12:03:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/25/2005 12:04:23 PM EST by Merrell]

Originally Posted By chapperjoe:
so what do we recommend. I am in small apt and have been considerring an air purifier.

Sears sells (or used to anyway) Kenmore & Honeywell HEPA units (both made by Honeywell). Far better than the IB (which is little more than a precipitron, and not a very good one at that). Electrostatic filtering is nothing new, and the Sharper Image unit is far too small to be effective.

A good HEPA air cleaner will have a washable foam element on the outside (to keep the big stuff from prematurely plugging the more expensive HEPA filter) Expect to pay $100 to 150. (yes HEPA's do work very well)

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 12:06:03 PM EST
Id get the oreck model. Besides being a quality brand, david oreck has consistantly told liberal groups to pound sand when they complained he was advertising on rush limbaugh's program.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 12:37:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/25/2005 12:37:29 PM EST by brouhaha]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:13:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By Cleatus:
OZONE-like the laser printer smell

THAT'S IT! well almost!!

Reminds me... remember the "ditto paper" smell from school days way back when? I think that's where huffing got its start.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:31:05 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:53:27 PM EST
I was at sharper image today and pulled the core out of one. The metal rods had nasty dirt/dust on them, so they do work. I like them at $50, but not at $300.
Top Top