Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 2:09:38 AM EDT
I know Craigslist says not to but I see people doing it all the time anyway.  What kind of enforcement does Craigslist use and can someone get in trouble for this?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:13:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know Craigslist says not to but I see people doing it all the time anyway.  What kind of enforcement does Craigslist use and can someone get in trouble for this?

As long as you follow state and federal laws, there is nothing they can legally do to you.

The users of craigslist manage posts by hitting the buttons at the top for inappropriate content and spam. Once a certain number of people complain, they ad is pulled.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
This makes me angry, because the nanny politicians want to force private businesses to serve customers who the business owner would not serve if he had the freedom to choose, or by law force a private business to ban normally legal activities such as smoking in property that they own, but a leftist online business like Craigslist can ban selling firearms or animals even though these things are perfectly legal to sell between 2 people anywhere else.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:49:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, Craigslist allows ads for Erotic services which is illegal, and that service has it's own section which is created by the Craigslist website designers.  WTF?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:51:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This makes me angry, because the nanny politicians want to force private businesses to serve customers who the business owner would not serve if he had the freedom to choose, or by law force a private business to ban normally legal activities such as smoking in property that they own, but a leftist online business like Craigslist can ban selling firearms or animals even though these things are perfectly legal to sell between 2 people anywhere else.

Eh, it's a private company. IMO it's their choice. I'd take the stand that many take with companies like that (ebay, paypal, etc) and take your business elsewhere.

I don't know the name off the top of my head, but there is a craigslist type website that allows firearms.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:59:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I agree a private business should be allowed to serve whoever they want and sell whatever they want.  But this is not how the law currently stands.  It is hypocritical to force a business to ban smoking, such as in a bar or restaurant, when the customers and owner both want to be able to smoke, but allow Craigslist to ban selling legal items on their website just because they have a personal bias against guns.  This type of contradiction in laws causes people to have less trust in government and the justice system because the law is not applied equally to everyone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:09:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Also, Craigslist allows ads for Erotic services which is illegal, and that service has it's own section which is created by the Craigslist website designers.  WTF?

i think they just changed that

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:28:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I've thought about selling a couple guns on Craigslist. I've seen ads worded so as non gun people might not know what they are.

I think if you get caught they just pull the ads. I've never heard of anyone getting banned from Craigslist for it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:00:18 AM EDT
[#8]
While I was in the process of moving, I sold a lot of stuff on craigslist. I gotta say a lot of the people who came to my house to buy shit were scary looking people. I always went outside to meet them packing. One guy kept asking me If he could come inside my house to look around for stuff he might wanna buy. I just got the feeling some of these guys were casing my joint. I sold a little wallmart safe, and the guy asked me what I used it for. Some really stupid fucking questions from these guys. What Im saying is if the crazies came out for little bullshit items I would hate to think who would come out for guns. I wouldn't sell guns on there. Just to be safe.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:32:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Craigslist used to be okay, now you have to sift through emails figuring out which are legit.  I had a boat and trolling motor on there for awhile, got rid of the boat for $50 more than paid last year, but the motor I keep getting nickle and dimed on so I pulled it.  I can only imagine what itd be like with guns.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Texas guns for sale is free; why mess with craigslist?  

I could see if you lived in some commie state, but it's a good, safe site; I've bought & sold alot of stuff thru them.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:38:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I could see if you lived in some commie state, but it's a good, safe site; I've bought & sold alot of stuff thru them.....

Craigslist isn't free in texas?  And your calling other states commie??

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:39:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to sell or buy a gun on Craigslist, I just wondered what kind of legal reasoning they used to ban gun sales on Craigslist.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:46:28 AM EDT
[#13]
"Hunting Equipment", almost never get's flagged for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll let you know what happens, I just posted.

Colt.   1200.   City

20" pre b, h bar, excel. Condit.

Or trade....

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#15]
believe it or not, some states are commie enclaves; I lived in Kalli for 20 years before moving
back to a free state; you can't even legally sell a gun to a private party without going thru an FFL;
that and +100's of other draconian laws make it a COMMIE state.  

disagree if you want,,,,free states allow that
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Erotic services? Really? I may have to place an ad in there to offer my erotic services to hot ladies then!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#17]
ive sold guns on craigslist. just keep reposting the ad. it will last a few hours before it gets pulled and i always got lots of emails.

the last time i sold a gun on craigslist i showed up at the guys house and it ended up being a contractor i knew from work. he had also bought a chainsaw and we both showed up at the same time, i think the guy selling the chainsaw was a little freaked out.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

While I was in the process of moving, I sold a lot of stuff on craigslist. I gotta say a lot of the people who came to my house to buy shit were scary looking people. I always went outside to meet them packing. One guy kept asking me If he could come inside my house to look around for stuff he might wanna buy. I just got the feeling some of these guys were casing my joint. I sold a little wallmart safe, and the guy asked me what I used it for. Some really stupid fucking questions from these guys. What Im saying is if the crazies came out for little bullshit items I would hate to think who would come out for guns. I wouldn't sell guns on there. Just to be safe.
Do you have any building blocks for sale?   How many do you think it would take to make a 8x8 shed out of them?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought an AMD-65 on craigslist last month for $350.   Dude wanted $450.     I'd have grabbed it even if he hadn't negotiated.    Guy ended up working for the local juvenile probation office, and had i called him from my work phone, we'd have already had each other's number's programmed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Backpage.com

The pro-guns sales friendly version of craigslist.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

hey, they call it adult services now
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I have listed guns on there but I use different names like Shrubmaster and My Little PONY (no brush included)
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#23]
WTS: 16" DPMS M4a3 TENNIS RACKET.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I've seen it done lots of times usually by 'coding' the ad words so that knowledgeable people can search/pickup on what is really being sold.

Bought a Glock 21 that was simply listed as a "G21 with 45hp".
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup, heard that on the news today

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#27]
They just pull the ad. I had some tumbled brass on there as "Spent brass for reloading/ hobbies and it was pulled in less than an hour, but not before someone emailed me about it,
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Funniest ad for a gun on Craigslist was an ad for a "target"  for $300. I clicked on the link and here was some Fudd gun sitting next to a sheet of copy paper with a small circle crudely colored in with black marker. I sold an AK and a bunch of mags on CL. I think I listed it as  a "Wasr with accessories" or something.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Backpage.com allows gun sales

They are functionally identical, aside from stupid rules like firearms sales.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#31]
You may get an email asking if you will ship to Nigeria
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

hey, they call it adult services now

It's called [censored] now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yes, I agree a private business should be allowed to serve whoever they want and sell whatever they want.  But this is not how the law currently stands.  It is hypocritical to force a business to ban smoking, such as in a bar or restaurant, when the customers and owner both want to be able to smoke, but allow Craigslist to ban selling legal items on their website just because they have a personal bias against guns.  This type of contradiction in laws causes people to have less trust in government and the justice system because the law is not applied equally to everyone.

You make a good point except:

" but allow Craigslist to ban selling legal items on their website just because they have a personal bias against guns"

You may list your guns for sale on Craiglist they will just remove it from thee site.  This is there rule not a law.  

If Craiglist started a new policy not allowing Black people to post ads then they would be breaking the law.

" It is hypocritical to force a business to ban smoking, such as in a bar or restaurant"   yes the goverment has no right to make laws on what you do in your business as long as it is legal.

We currently have the most racist goverment in history.  So quit you belly aching about some private company and there rules and look at how BHO is dividing the county by Race.

Go forward and sell yor guns on craigslist and STFU

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Also, Craigslist allows ads for Erotic services which is illegal, and that service has it's own section which is created by the Craigslist website designers. WTF?

Not any more. Both the Erotic services and adult gigs sections have been removed.

As for ad enforcement, they have bots that go through new posts, anything that gets flagged by the bots gets rejected from the indexer, meaning you'll see your post as active and can even open the ad page it will not show up on the search lists.

I had this happen to 2 adds of mine, one for a "tacticool" vest and one for some Glock holsters. I got around the filter by posting a jpeg file with text explaining the items.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, it's a private company. IMO it's their choice. I'd take the stand that many take with companies like that (ebay, paypal, etc) and take your business elsewhere.
I don't know the name off the top of my head, but there is a craigslist type website that allows firearms.

Backpage.com allows the sale of firearms. Look under sporting equipment.

ETA: I didn't see that two other people had posted this info before me.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I've done well with CL, I've sold quite a bit and given away a few things, I have never tried to sell firearms there though...in my area the percentage of people who use it is small anyway, up in Boston where my brother lives everyone uses it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I just use arfcom or falfiles and gunbroker mostly to sell guns or gun stuff.That way you reach your target market anyway. I cant be bothered with craigslist ––too many weirdos and e-mail bots plus my virus detection usually goes crazy when I go there. They really should call it "fence list"we found a trash pump stolen from a job site on there less than 24 hrs after it was taken––still had the chain we locked it up with on the chassis.... If I have flea market stuff to dispose of I use Upillar or ebay.  The PAFOA classifieds are pretty good too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top