Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2004 9:35:33 AM EDT
I always thought the appropriate thing to do if you shot someone in self defense would be to approach them make sure they are not a threat and boot there weapon across the floor so they can no longer get off a cheap shot.

My friend who supposedly is well informed says leave the weapon were it is. It will save you alot of trouble in court.  Because how are you going to prove he actually had a weapon, lawyers could say you just use a throw piece.

I think this is valid but you dont want some Ass hat shooting you because he was still holding the weapon.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah things are going to be cleaner if the gun is gripped in the guys hand, most likely it will be some (oppressed minority) who has 8 priors.

But if the gun is within 10 feet and has his prints on it and you are a good guy with no record I think you would still would be very much in the clear.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure he is not a threat. Thats the most important thing. If you're dead you'll never get a chance to tell your side of the story anyway. Besides, leaving the gun there may say to others that you didn't really feel threatend by him anyway.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#3]
That may be OK for an LEO  to do , but a private citizen maybe should just leave everything as it is, if you have already put a couple of rounds in the chest area and he's not breathing, chances are hes no longer a Threat , but I would keep one eye on him till the Leo's show up, just my .02 worth  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I was taught to continue firing until there WAS NO THREAT!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#5]
some DEMOCRAT OPORTUNISTIC PROSECUTOR in Arizona has already tried to prosecute an Arizona man on charges I beleive volunrary manslaughter, calling for a more scrutiny of " shoot till the threat stops".  The story as I understand it goes A man walking in a rural area drew and fired his weapon to scare away 3 dogs who approached him acting aggressive, not actually hitting the dogs.  All the dogs ran away one ran yelping like it had been hit, the dogs owner hearing the shot and the dog came running with some sort of weapon in hand yelling "you shot my dog, I'll kill you " well the man who the dogs came torwards repeatedly said stop, the owner didn't.  So he stitched a pattern of 3 10mm shots neatly in the dog owners chest.  As I heard over the radio the Liberal D.A. thought 3 shots of a high calibre was excessive force, combined with the shooters accuraccy making it seem in the D.A.'s veiw even more excessive!!!!!  So I guess " shoot till the threat stops "  is now open to interpritation!!!!

Also if anyone knows the outcome to this particular case I would love to know what has or is happening in it!!!!!!!!!

Matt
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#6]
"Leave everything as it is" is excellent advice...provided circumstances allow you to do that. What happens when a large, unruly crowd of the deceased' friends starts gathering and calling for your head on a stick? What about when his girlfriend takes the weapon, pockets it, and starts walking away from the scene? (Are you gonna shoot her too?) Or any of a hundred other possibilities.

Lots to consider, huh?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoot until the threat stops, then STAY AWAY from the wounded/dead attacker. Call 911 and ask them to roll medical FIRST, then ask them to send the police.

Always reholster and conceal (you don't wanna have a smoking gun in your hands when someone with a badge arrives!) and try to preserve the scene until the authorities arrive. Don't allow onlookers to approach the downed attacker or walk through the shooting scene, and most of all don't allow anyone (unless they are stringing yellow tape that says POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS) to TOUCH anything!
Good samaratans sticking their nose into a "good" shooting can bring you from Hero to Zero very quickly.

Just my two pennies.....  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"Leave everything as it is" is excellent advice...provided circumstances allow you to do that. What happens when a large, unruly crowd of the deceased' friends starts gathering and calling for your head on a stick? What about when his girlfriend takes the weapon, pockets it, and starts walking away from the scene? (Are you gonna shoot her too?) Or any of a hundred other possibilities.

Lots to consider, huh?

There's a good piece of advice in that comment.  If the circumstances work for you, etc.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]
If you shoot someone ,you shoot to kill them! You don't wound, you don't fire warning shots you don't help them in any way. If the situation calls for you to use your weapon , you are in fear for your life! You shoot to kill them! The BG will not be moving!The first thing you do after you shoot somebody is make sure ALL the threat is eliminated. This includes him/her AND anybody else that is attacking you. Then you call the police. The next phone call is to your lawyer. Leave all weapons where they lay. In the mean time go through as many self defense courses that you can afford. Study as much as you can. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I would suggest getting behind cover, calling 911, staying on the line with them until units start arriving (give a detailed description of yourself to include you are armed), and keep the threat covered. You'll be disarmed when the officers get there, there is no sense in lowering your threat level prior to thier arrival.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Matt,
There have been a couple of several page threads about that shooting. The issue isnt so much as three shots. It's using a gun in what was at that point only a potential fist fight between grown men.

Anyone that thinks deadly force is reasonable in school yard scuffles or bar fights is just trigger happy.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Matt,
There have been a couple of several page threads about that shooting. The issue isnt so much as three shots. It's using a gun in what was at that point only a potential fist fight between grown men.

Anyone that thinks deadly force is reasonable in school yard scuffles or bar fights is just trigger happy.  

thats bullshit, if you are carrying and someone gets in a fight with you they will soon have access to a weapon.

remember what they teach officers every call you go to there is a firearm.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Alot of it depends on the laws of the state your in.

A guy with a concealed weapons permit in Oregon was attacked while walking along a sidewalk by two guys..  he shot and killed one, wounded the ohter, but got in trouble for having two seperate weapons that he admited were concealed before the attack.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you shoot someone ,you shoot to kill them! You don't wound, you don't fire warning shots you don't help them in any way. If the situation calls for you to use your weapon , you are in fear for your life! You shoot to kill them!  

You shoot to stop the threat. Saying that you are shooting to kill may get you in legal  hot water. Death may be a  legitimate by-product of shooting to stop the threat, but it should not be your stated goal.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Matt,

thats bullshit, if you are carrying and someone gets in a fight with you they will soon have access to a weapon.

remember what they teach officers every call you go to there is a firearm.

Bingo. if you are armed you DO NOT allow someone access to that weapon.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Lots to consider, huh?

Honestly, the moment she picks up the weapon, she becomes a threat...I would shoot her...flame me if you want, but she's going down...not that I expect such an unlikely event...people usually scatter when they hear gunshots, not stand around...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top