Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 10:05:11 PM EDT
I am currently about you complete my 2 years of college/get my associates and transfer to complete my 4 years. My plan was to go into marine ocs which at best case scenario would be 2 years when I am 24. On top of being antsy and impatient it's also been brought to my attention how officers are expected to be political and social.  I am beginning to question whether or not this route is correct for me and if I for myself am better of enlisting. With that in mind I would be counting on the idea that I would opt to finish out school at a later time.

Looking for suggestions and opinions from you guys as I respect what you've done/are doing.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Go the officer route.  Trust me your military life will be alot better.  Always remember, always listen to trust worthy senior NCO's
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#2]
you can go to OCS while you're still in college yano....I looked into it but I had already finished my junior year of college so it was to late for me

....that said I enlisted in the Army instead
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Officer side seems to be alot more social and definitely more political. Enlisted side is not bad at all. I currently am working on my college degree while active. Can't do it everywhere due to the nature of certain units but many places you could finish out your degree. If you decide to go enlisted take your time with the process of signing the papers. You have that recruiter by the balls until you sign those papers and take the oath. Make sure you fully understand what you sign days before you sign it. Ask on here if you don't understand anything and make sure your getting what you want out of it. Depending on your qualifications there are many good  MOS's on the enlisted side. I just hit three years and can honestly say that things are never boring.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am currently about you complete my 2 years of college/get my associates and transfer to complete my 4 years. My plan was to go into marine ocs which at best case scenario would be 2 years when I am 24. On top of being antsy and impatient it's also been brought to my attention how officers are expected to be political and social.  I am beginning to question whether or not this route is correct for me and if I for myself am better of enlisting. With that in mind I would be counting on the idea that I would opt to finish out school at a later time.

Looking for suggestions and opinions from you guys as I respect what you've done/are doing.

Thanks.

You should be looking at PLC Jrs/Srs right now.

There's several ways for college students to apply for USMC OCS.

1. PLC Jrs/Srs is 2, 6 week sessions. One during your Freshmen/Sophomore year summers, and the second right before your senior year. This is what I'm in the process of getting selected for.

2. PLC Combined. One 10 week session between your junior and senior year.
3. OCC. One 10 week session for college seniors/graduates.

MarineOCS.com
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I was aware of those possibilities however I would have to wait till junior summer for the 10 week. I have classes over the summer to finish up my 2 years. I'm still debating between ocs or enlisted would be a better choice for myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top