Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 8:19:58 AM EDT
I have a network in my office with a server, and 8 desktop/laptop workstations.  Various anti-spyware/adware/security suites.  

I need to monitor some employee activity and am thinking about installing keylogger/screen-capture software.  My first question is can this be done without my own security measures removing or disabling them as it would if installed thru a virus or worm, and if yes, how?

Also would love to have some recommendations of quality programs that I can install as the system admin.

Finally, is anyone aware of a program that will email me the info on some kind of a schedule so that I don't have to physically sit down at each terminal to retrieve it?

Thanks a lot for any input.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't/haven't used them but google will come back with LOTS. If you have access to install it locally you prolly won't have to disable the other stuff.

Have you ever used VNC in view only mode?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#2]
You can get WinVNC (it's free just google) that will allow you to see their screen when you connect or you can also get PC ANywhere (not free) for the same thing.  Most good anti spy software will block keyloggers, or atleast the freely available ones.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#3]
What activity are you trying to monitor?  Internet activity, file/application usage, or what?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I am trying to see exactly just what happens during a typical business day.  How much time they are spending on the net, and where,  whether the computer is being used for other personal stuff on my time, and keeping an eye on chat, IM, and e-mail that is non-business related.  

Sounds like eblaster is what I am looking for, and ByteTB you were right, I should have googled first.  Found it right off, and not expensive. Business expense anyway.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
They probably have some kind of keylogger on the bosses computer to see how much time he spends on ARFCOM...or the pron sites!

BigDOzer66
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]
So I'm a hypocrite.  It's not like they are signing my check though. And I don't go anywhere that I am ashamed of.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]
some routers have a logviewer built in.   i have seen  linksys, smc,and a couple others have this feature.  log into the web interface..  http://192.168.1.1    
                                             http://192.168.0.1
                                             http://192.168.2.1
tell you what if your running behind a router the easiest way to find out how to connect to it is to type ipconfig and a dos prompt and the default gateway is what you type, to configure the router.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top