Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 4:55:55 PM EDT
anyone have a tricked out one. i'm tinkering with one and need a few ideas.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You might get a better response here.  www.perfectunion.com/forums/

They are more mini-14 friendly there. I have a ranch rifle and I like it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
1. Dump the factory stock for a synthetic aftermarket version
2. Have a gun smith cut down the barrel to about 13-14" and install a M14 type flash hider
3. Add H&K type sights to it
4. Use only factory Ruger or PMI hi-caps on it

5. Or just sell it and put the funds toward an AR or AK and save yourself the trouble

But seriously, the Mini-14 is a good design and could be a great gun out of the box if Ruger put any effort into the gun at all. It's basically what the name implies, a scaled down M-14. But Ruger builds it with shitty parts so it suffers from accuracy problems. The thin barrel and the material the barrel is made from results in what is called "barrel whip". By reducing the length of the barrel and replacing the stock, accuracy is often improved. Ruger also uses rather crappy sights as well, so replacing those should be an improvement.

It's a shame they don't build these the way they should be. If they did, these could be a very good alternative to the AR series. But you can make them better if you want to bother. If the Mini has one thing going for it, they are reliable with good mags. I would rate them right up there with AK's in that regard. I've got one I can fire 3000 rounds of dirty ammo through between cleanings without any hiccups.  

-CH
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The Mike Knifong trigger job really cleans up the crappy stock trigger. Worth the $50.00
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Try cheaper than dirt.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
just get a M14
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have some 30 rounders for one and do not/have not owned one!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a helluva time getting mags to seat correctly in Mini-14s.  That lil pinhole just doesn't do it for me.

Operator error, of course... I'm not bashing the system.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks. i didnt buy it for bench rest. i've had one before. a gb. i wish i had kept that. pmi, i agree is the only after market way to go. someone gave me a ramline folder for it years ago. so i've equipped the new one with it. i didnt want it then, why replace the factory folder but now i'm glad i kept it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure the Mini-14 is an item to "trick" out.

The main purpose is to provide the most bang for the buck.

It is a great rifle and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#13]
These guys can help out too. www.rugerforum.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/rugerforum/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

I had a SS one with a Choate pistol grip stock and the M14 type flash suppressor on it. Hated the sights though. Had a scout set up on it for awhile with a 2x pistol scope on a B Square mount. It wouldn't hold a zero worth a damn cause the slightest bump knocked it off. BTW it was louder than hell with that flash suppressor on it.

I traded it for a Romanian AK and a 1000 rounds of Wolf.  Kinda wish I had the Mini back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a stock stainless pre-ban folder.

Its no AR, but what can I say, I loved the A-Team when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#15]
the Mini-14 is the biggest Piece of Shit I have ever owned, got rid of it fast
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#16]
i just sold my ss with factory folder. you won't believe what they sell for used.
gunsamerica had a tad over 200 ruger rifles listed. of those, only 4 were the ss with folder.
of the 4, 3 were in the mid $900 range, and only one was lower at $875.
i sold mine for $850.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a preban GB with the factory folder stock. At the moment, it is worth about TWO of any of the stock postban AR's in this forum.
but then I also have two preban Colts in the safe to keep it company!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My latest attempt to make a rifle out of the Mini-14 is to hang a scout rail off the gas block ($40). I'm going to hang a Hakko TacPoint off the thing once the back orders on those hot things start getting filled.

Where'd you get that mount from, if you don't mind my asking?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
i just sold my ss with factory folder. you won't believe what they sell for used.
gunsamerica had a tad over 200 ruger rifles listed. of those, only 4 were the ss with folder.
of the 4, 3 were in the mid $900 range, and only one was lower at $875.
i sold mine for $850.

I guess PT barnum was right.

A used mini in EXCELLENT condition is worth about $350 or $400. Maybe $500 or $600 if its a real GB.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have a stock stainless pre-ban folder.

Its no AR, but what can I say, I loved the A-Team when I was a kid.

Exactly, thousands of rounds those guys never could hit anyone.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#21]
key phrase  "stainless steel with factory folder".
other than those, and the gb versions, the prices are as low as mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Saw one today. Pre-Ban factory folder GB used. $1250.00

Gave mine to my brother to use on his farm
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Saw one today. Pre-Ban factory folder GB used. $1250.00

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#24]

I took a carbine class that was designed for the ar group of weapons and I shot it with a Mini 14. I out shot most people their and kept up with the ones I didn't. We only shot out to 25 yards and I did have some mag problems but next month I hope there will be quality mags back on the market for a reasonable price.  While manipulating the weapon doing different gun handling drills, I found that the AR is more ergonomic. An example would be while doing malfunction drills the proper technique is to charge the weapon (with the charging handle) with the support hand while keeping your shooting hand on the pistol grip and ready to fire as soon as the weapon is back up. With the Mini 14 this was possible but not done easily. Another problem with the Mini 14 is that the mags don't drop free and one handed mag changes are difficult. BUT, having said that I was still shooting away while other people were running around with cleaning rods shoved down their muzzles!

I have been tempted to expairment with halo sight with it.Factory sights are O.K. if this is gonna be a close range combat weapon (50 yards max) but make sure you have tested and proven mags.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
1. Dump the factory stock for a synthetic aftermarket version
2. Have a gun smith cut down the barrel to about 13-14" and install a M14 type flash hider
3. Add H&K type sights to it
4. Use only factory Ruger or PMI hi-caps on it

5. Or just sell it and put the funds toward an AR or AK and save yourself the trouble

But seriously, the Mini-14 is a good design and could be a great gun out of the box if Ruger put any effort into the gun at all. It's basically what the name implies, a scaled down M-14. But Ruger builds it with shitty parts so it suffers from accuracy problems. The thin barrel and the material the barrel is made from results in what is called "barrel whip". By reducing the length of the barrel and replacing the stock, accuracy is often improved. Ruger also uses rather crappy sights as well, so replacing those should be an improvement.

It's a shame they don't build these the way they should be. If they did, these could be a very good alternative to the AR series. But you can make them better if you want to bother. If the Mini has one thing going for it, they are reliable with good mags. I would rate them right up there with AK's in that regard. I've got one I can fire 3000 rounds of dirty ammo through between cleanings without any hiccups.  

-CH

1) I did that 14.5" PLUS 2.5" for the flash hider= 17" OAL of barrel...

However, ONE problem: I can't find them anymore!

(Mine was made by CHOATE and it seems they only make the AR-15 "Birdcage type"

2) Federal Ordnance mags are VERY, VERY good as well.

3) Don't expect it to shoot closer than 6" at 100 yards, sorry! (Even with a 3x9 power scope)

Consider these things BEFORE you buy one!

I own two: one ranch one regular. IF you wnat to scope it, do yourself a favor and get thet ranch model.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#26]
My dad has a mini that I put a Choate Folding stock on.

Its been a damned fine rifle for the past 20 years.

Supposedly, I have an AC556 on order.  Bought the PMI 40 rd mags and the Ultimak rails.  However, no gun yet!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#27]
yeah the gb i sold was stainless w/ stainless folder. i got an even grand for it in 2000. those go on gunbroker.com for roughly $1400 now. my father bought that one in late 80's early 90's. it seems that  just about all the AL, LEO's at the time were buying the gb's through their departments and reselling them to their local gunstores. my uncle also bought a ss gb around that time and all of my lowball offers to him have been rejected.

hell theres a folding ss stock on commie ass ebay for $300 currently. hock.gif
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#28]
SS Mini Ranch 16.1" Barrel, RamLine Side Folder, TruDot Sight 3/4x10"Muzzle.

Yes 55round Custom mag.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#29]
The only useful thing about my  mini-14 was selling it to pay for the 20" free floated flattop HBAR I bought from Fulton Armory. Went from a 2" gun with a bedding work and hand loads to a .75" gun that required  no work other than pushing in  two pins
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok whats a GB?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#32]
pretty sure it's  "government barrel".
i'm thinking it is a heavier barrel than normally offered, but i'm not positive.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#33]
MAW57
thats what mine looks like minus the scary homemade magazine. hat
melbo9
that one also looks familar. but mine had the gb barrel.

LHD
gb stands for grenade/bayonet. the barrels have a different and much better front site and under it a grenanade launcher/bayonet attachment lug. i have no idea what kind of gl you could attach though. the gb also has a flash hider.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#34]
the gb barrrels arent heavier unfortunately they're the same they just have the afore mentioned features.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Ok whats a GB?

Factory Flash supressor & Factory Bayonet Lug. May or may not have a folding stock.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I want a stainless AC-556K.

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Mike
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't listen to all this Bull!!!!  A Mini-14 is a fine gun, as long as you get the right mags.  Ruger LEO 20 rounders should be available for very good prices in a few more days.   Also, Thermold made excellent Mini Mags.  PMI's with Ruger factory followers (from Brownell's) work excellent as well.   The only problem is that now days, Mini's are jsut too damn expensive for what they are worth.   For the price of a Mini and some good mags, you are already well into an AR with Mags.

Plus, Ruger long ago sold out the American Gun Owner, and they have paid the price for it.  I am an FFL (Even though SteyerAug says I am not) and nobody wants Mini's anymore.  They sold good when they were $350-$400.  But now, my cost is over $500 for a Stainless model.  Whoever is in charge of marketing at Ruger needs to be fired.  If making money is the goal of a business,  then Ruger is an absolute failure.  How many years did it take them to make a heavy-barrel model for their 10-22??  Several, and after they had lost MILLIONS to aftermarket manufacturers.  Same with synthetic stocks.   And Ruger's stance on High-Cap Mags (They refuse to make any for the General Public, even after Sept. 13th) is absolutely idiotic.  So is their policy regarding folding stocks.  If they would just make those two items again-high-cap mags and folding stocks, they could make a mint.  But they won't.  Sometimes I think Colt and Ruger are run by the same people.  They're Jackasses.      
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#38]
well, thanks for the edumacation on what gb stands for.
i rightly appreciate it i tell ya.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#41]
  i agree ruger really has screwed themselves as far as keeping up with what the consumer wants. i used to own a 10/22T the target 10/22. i thought it was a great shooting gun. until i started modifing the little $140 10/22 carbine i have. for roughly the same cost[$500] i added all volquartsen internal parts and a green mountain barrel i had a far superior rifle. the only diference in the T model is a slightly lighter trigger, hammer forged .920 barrel, & a laminated stock. i was using the same stock on the two unbedded and the modified one shot circles around the T. i soon there after sold the T. now $1000 later the built one supplies crazy group sizes @ 100 yds.  

the only upside to the T was resale value. i damn near got my money back. as far as the mini 14 goes ruger's only attempt to steal aftermarket sales was the gb and it was only made available to LEO's.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I am in process of making one of these for my Ranch.

The guy who made the stabilizer in the thread said his groups were .75 to 1.25 @ 50 yds., down from 1.5".   Not bad for a mini.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#43]
You have to remember that the A-Team had the hardest time hitting anything with their Mini 14s! Seems spray and pray was how they did their shooting!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#44]
i think the mini-14 gets a bad rap. just know what you're paying for and the results it will produce. it you buy an aftermarket barrel for it it increases its' accuracy immensely, but if you do that you might as well get an ar . good farm truck gun in the country if you're on a budget.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a mini-14 (182 series) and it is a great little rifle, never had a single problem with it at all.
best $89.95 I ever spent on a centerfire rifle, picked it up from a place that sold Fire Damaged goods, back in 1983
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top