Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/25/2003 10:22:37 PM EDT
ok, Metallica [b]ONE[/b] (...And Justice For All) last 2:30 (~) rocks... anyone else have jams (songs) on that level or better? Need some head banging guitar playin stuff.... hook a brother up! [headbang]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:26:07 PM EDT
meshuggah 'future breed machine' pantera 'domination' worth it for the breakdown in the end of song. too many to list.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:07:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 11:11:31 PM EDT by raven]
Jimi Hendrix's song, Axis Bold as Love is amazing. The outro solo, improvised during the recording, is one of the greatest guitar solos ever recorded. It's in a different key than the song, and is kind of tacked onto the end of song. Still works though. It's fucking transcendent. The whole song is great, but the unworldly solo starts at 2:54
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:16:26 PM EDT
Dream Theater: LIE Then again ANYTHING from Dream Theater.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:19:22 PM EDT
Get the live "Stuck Mojo" record. It really rocks. They were out of Atlanta back in the 90's, they are a very Pantera sounding band with a black guy singing/rapping. They were a precursor to Sevendust. They are die hard conservative too. Excerpt from the record: (Singer): "when Dan gives you the question, the answer to the question is 'f*** you', alright? Lemme hear you say 'f*** you'". (crowd): "F*** YOU!" (Singer): "alright, their good to go..." (Dan): "President Bill Clinton!" (crowd): "F*** YOU!" (Dan): "Little dick President Clinton!" (crowd): "F*** YOU!" (Dan): "F*** YOU CLINTON!!" (crowd): "F*** YOU!" Songs about the death penalty and about the OKC bombing (Coward) are cool. "In the name of Liberty, there are flaming casualties. Loading, exploding, I'm a coward with a pipe bomb..." "I've already seen it, I've seen myself dying, I damned all the innocent, 'Cause I'm already killing...."
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:29:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DrFrige: Dream Theater: LIE Then again ANYTHING from Dream Theater.
View Quote
I second that, John Petrucci really rocks on the guitar for Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:31:13 PM EDT
Sheesh. And nobody notices my tag line...... I I I I V
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:33:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TheKill: Get the live "Stuck Mojo" record. It really rocks. They were out of Atlanta back in the 90's, they are a very Pantera sounding band with a black guy singing/rapping. They were a precursor to Sevendust. They are die hard conservative too. Excerpt from the record: (Singer): "when Dan gives you the question, the answer to the question is 'f*** you', alright? Lemme hear you say 'f*** you'". (crowd): "F*** YOU!" (Singer): "alright, their good to go..." (Dan): "President Bill Clinton!" (crowd): "F*** YOU!" (Dan): "Little dick President Clinton!" (crowd): "F*** YOU!" (Dan): "F*** YOU CLINTON!!" (crowd): "F*** YOU!" Songs about the death penalty and about the OKC bombing (Coward) are cool. "In the name of Liberty, there are flaming casualties. Loading, exploding, I'm a coward with a pipe bomb..." "I've already seen it, I've seen myself dying, I damned all the innocent, 'Cause I'm already killing...."
View Quote
dang man, i just downloaded some stuff by these guys good stuff i'm hearing "give war a chance" right now any other recommendations along these lines?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:38:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 11:39:41 PM EDT by TheKill]
Dude, I am trying to convert the world to Stuck Mojo LOL. They are damn good and have a GREAT edgy sound. Kind of like Pantera but with Zack Wylde on guitar, a rap singer, and more melodic/pop choruses, wouldn't you agree? There was a Hawaiian band that I really liked too. I can't remember the name. When I do I'll let you know. Oh wait....Pooya! See if you can find some of that. It's very Mexican sounding, but they did have a radio single that was very metal and smoked. EDIT: I think it's "Puya".
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:40:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 11:45:40 PM EDT by Red_Beard]
Originally Posted By TheKill: Dude, I am trying to convert the world to Stuck Mojo LOL. They are damn good and have a GREAT edgy sound. Kind of like Pantera but with Zack Wylde on guitar, a rap singer, and more melodic/pop choruses, wouldn't you agree? There was a Hawaiian band that I really liked too. I can't remember the name. When I do I'll let you know. Oh wait....Pooya! See if you can find some of that. It's very Mexican sounding, but they did have a radio single that was very metal and smoked. EDIT: I think it's "Puya".
View Quote
ha, i've got a Puya CD Union i think is the name they toss in latin rythms with metal riffs some of the lyrics are in spanish so i can't tell what they hell they're saying though
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:43:03 PM EDT
The Haunted -urban predator- or anything else by them (from sweden, formerly at the gates). heavy, talented, and melodic. At the Gates -blinded by fear- awesome song. i love swedish metal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:43:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Red_Beard:
Originally Posted By TheKill: Dude, I am trying to convert the world to Stuck Mojo LOL. They are damn good and have a GREAT edgy sound. Kind of like Pantera but with Zack Wylde on guitar, a rap singer, and more melodic/pop choruses, wouldn't you agree? There was a Hawaiian band that I really liked too. I can't remember the name. When I do I'll let you know. Oh wait....Pooya! See if you can find some of that. It's very Mexican sounding, but they did have a radio single that was very metal and smoked. EDIT: I think it's "Puya".
View Quote
ha, i've got a Puya CD Union i think is the name
View Quote
That's the one! My friends all think it's too strange, but I dig it. Love the Latin beat at the end with the heavy guitar and horns. Whoo Hoo!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:43:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 11:49:32 PM EDT by kay9]
"Daddy" from Korn kills. "Orion" from Master of puppets. "knife party" from Deftones has a creepy chick screaming like murder that sends chills up the spine (Not really a jam tho) Thats all I can think of right now. IMO, there is no better album than And Justice For All. Too bad the recording technique made the bass non-existent. Is stuck mojo still a band? Arent they sick speed now?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:45:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kay9: "Daddy" from Korn kills. "Orion" from Master of puppets. "knife party" from Deftones has a creepy chick screaming like murder that sends chills up the spine (Not really a jam tho) Thats all I can think of right now. IMO, there is no better album than And Justice For All. Too bad the recording technique made the bass non-existent.
View Quote
That was by design, courtesy of Lars and James. This was one of the reasons Jason got fed up and left.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:53:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By raven: Jimi Hendrix's song, Axis Bold as Love is amazing. The outro solo, improvised during the recording, is one of the greatest guitar solos ever recorded. It's in a different key than the song, and is kind of tacked onto the end of song. Still works though. It's fucking transcendent. The whole song is great, but the unworldly solo starts at 2:54
View Quote
Just about any Hendrix... To see where bands like Metallica got their weird time songs and heavy riffs check out: Manic Depression, Radio One (live radio jingle),Spanish Castle Magic, If 6 was 9, Can You See Me, (Hey Baby)New Rising Sun. Just great guitar: Voodoo Child(Slight Return), Voodoo Chile, Little Wing, All Along the WatchTower. Lighter: Castles Made of Sand, Red House, Hey Joe. Songs for chicks: Is this Love? and Little Wing. TS
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:54:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 11:57:08 PM EDT by Lumpy196]
Tool - anything of Aenima is EXCELLENT Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss, Reign in Blood, two of my favorites from them. Corrosion of Conformity - Vote with a Bullet Filter - Nice shot Anything from Godsmack Anthrax - Room for One More, Potter's Field Cold - Anti-love song Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing Liquid Gang - Blunt Force Trauma Metallica - The Thing that Should Not Be, Leper Mesiah, Seek and Destroy Moterhead - The Ace of Spades Sepultura - Dusted Thats all my drunk fuzzy head can think of righ tnow Methods of Meyham - Crash
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:55:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 11:59:16 PM EDT by TheKill]
K9: Sick Speed was the band (whoops...That's Rich Ward, guitar) formed after Stuck Mojo broke up. They were mainly doing stuff in Europe where metal is still king LOL. I thought I heard Stuck Mojo was getting back together, but I don't really know for sure. Edit: got this off the net: "In 2000 Stuck Mojo was done, broken up. Apparently however they have played New Year's Eve reunion concerts including this past Dec. 31, 2002. And will wonder's ever stop but they recently played a gig at Ziggy's in Winston Salem, NC on Feb. 28th 2003!!!! YEEHA" [url]www.stuckmojo.net[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:57:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TigerStripe:
Originally Posted By raven: Jimi Hendrix's song, Axis Bold as Love is amazing. The outro solo, improvised during the recording, is one of the greatest guitar solos ever recorded. It's in a different key than the song, and is kind of tacked onto the end of song. Still works though. It's fucking transcendent. The whole song is great, but the unworldly solo starts at 2:54
View Quote
Just about any Hendrix... To see where bands like Metallica got their weird time songs and heavy riffs check out: Manic Depression, Radio One (live radio jingle),Spanish Castle Magic, If 6 was 9, Can You See Me, (Hey Baby)New Rising Sun. Just great guitar: Voodoo Child(Slight Return), Voodoo Chile, Little Wing, All Along the WatchTower. Lighter: Castles Made of Sand, Red House, Hey Joe. Songs for chicks: Is this Love? and Little Wing. TS
View Quote
Metallica is hardly influenced by Hendrix. Metallica's members studied enough about music theory to cop strange time signatures, counterpoint, etc. I'm just saying that Hendrix song is as inspired as "One" by Metallica.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:57:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 11:58:03 PM EDT by kay9]
Originally Posted By Lumpy196: Tool - anything of Aenima is EXCELLENT Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss, Reign in Blood, two of my favorites from them. Corrosion of Conformity - Vote with a Bullet Filter - Nice shot Anything from Godsmack Anthrax - Room for One More, Potter's Field Cold - Anti-love song Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing Liquid Gang - Blunt Force Trauma Metallica - The Thing that Should Not Be, Leper Mesiah, Seek and Destroy Moterhead - The Ace of Spades Sepultura - Dusted Thats all my drunk fuzzy head can think of righ tnow
View Quote
Oh Jesus, how could I forget Tool and Slayer? South of Heaven, Reign in Blood and Seasons. You cant go wrong there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:08:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 12:17:02 AM EDT by TigerStripe]
Originally Posted By kay9: "Orion" from Master of puppets.
View Quote
After getting off my Hendrix soapbox, that was the first Metallica to come to mind. Also, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Welcome Home(Sanitarium), Don't Tread On Me. Iron Maiden has some killer shit, but the recording back then sucked. Revelation, Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, Die With Your Boots On, The Trooper, Aces High, PowerSlave, Children of the Damned... They all kick ass live. TS
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:10:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 12:15:59 AM EDT by AR-15Fan]
You and everyone else should definitely get some of the Bruce Dickinson's (Iron Maiden lead singer for most of thier stuff) solo stuff. Freakin awesome stuff. The albums Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are sweet. Chemical Wedding is a perfect 10 album IMO. Lot of great guitar work. That also goes for straight up Iron Maiden. Alot of long, "half the song" guitar solo stuff... Children of Bodom has some wailing guitar stuff on most of thier songs. However they have the growling singer thing going (better than others I've heard) that I don't care for though. Everytime I Die is my favorite song of theirs. Hammerfall also blazes on the guitar on most of their songs, they being a "Power Metal" band have a more high pitched singer which may or may not be your style. I love alot of the songs off the Legacy of Kings and Renegade albums. Personally I love power metal, Helloween, Edguy, etc.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:10:20 AM EDT
re: stuck mojo check out the track "southern pride" i've never heard harmonica combined with metal guitar riffs i like it
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:14:22 AM EDT
Anything from Sepultura is good.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:15:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By raven:
View Quote
View Quote
Metallica is hardly influenced by Hendrix. Metallica's members studied enough about music theory to cop strange time signatures, counterpoint, etc. I'm just saying that Hendrix song is as inspired as "One" by Metallica.
View Quote
I wasn't saying you said it... I was saying it myself. Nevermind the argument. I was pointing to some good music.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:16:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Red_Beard: re: stuck mojo check out the track "southern pride" i've never heard harmonica combined with metal guitar riffs i like it
View Quote
That is one of the tracks on the live record. It rocks! "I've got my southern pride...."
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:26:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TheKill:
Originally Posted By kay9: That was by design, courtesy of Lars and James. This was one of the reasons Jason got fed up and left.
View Quote
You sure about that? Wasn't "and Justice for all" Jasons first album with them? All the later albums have pretty intense bass lines.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:29:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By raven: Just about any Hendrix... To see where bands like Metallica got their weird time songs and heavy riffs check out: Manic Depression, Radio One (live radio jingle),Spanish Castle Magic, If 6 was 9, Can You See Me, (Hey Baby)New Rising Sun. Just great guitar: Voodoo Child(Slight Return), Voodoo Chile, Little Wing, All Along the WatchTower. Lighter: Castles Made of Sand, Red House, Hey Joe. Songs for chicks: Is this Love? and Little Wing. TS
View Quote
Hell Yea! I was named after Hendrix. Little wing is not a chick song! & the SRV remake kicks ass!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:31:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Lumpy196: Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing
View Quote
Don't forget "Dead and Bloated", best song on that album.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:36:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By raven: Metallica is hardly influenced by Hendrix. Metallica's members studied enough about music theory to cop strange time signatures, counterpoint, etc.
View Quote
Yea, ask Kirk Hammett if he didn't get any influence from Hendrix. Listen to the guitar work on "Bleeding me", total Hendrix.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:56:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Sumo2000:
Originally Posted By raven: Just about any Hendrix... To see where bands like Metallica got their weird time songs and heavy riffs check out: Manic Depression, Radio One (live radio jingle),Spanish Castle Magic, If 6 was 9, Can You See Me, (Hey Baby)New Rising Sun. Just great guitar: Voodoo Child(Slight Return), Voodoo Chile, Little Wing, All Along the WatchTower. Lighter: Castles Made of Sand, Red House, Hey Joe. Songs for chicks: Is this Love? and Little Wing. TS
View Quote
Hell Yea! I was named after Hendrix. Little wing is not a chick song! & the SRV remake kicks ass!
View Quote
Play Little Wing for a chick and tell her she's your Little Wing... see what happens. And yes SRV's version does kick some serious ass. TS
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:47:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TheKill:
Originally Posted By kay9: "Daddy" from Korn kills. "Orion" from Master of puppets. "knife party" from Deftones has a creepy chick screaming like murder that sends chills up the spine (Not really a jam tho) Thats all I can think of right now. IMO, there is no better album than And Justice For All. Too bad the recording technique made the bass non-existent.
View Quote
That was by design, courtesy of Lars and James. This was one of the reasons Jason got fed up and left.
View Quote
That would be believable, except for one thing. The lack of bottom end on And Justice for All is the reason why Metallica hired Bob Rock for the album following And Justice for All. You know, the black album? Every album since And Justice for All has had plenty of bottom end. Jason left because Jason has to make music, and his side project was frowned upon while Metallica was doing nothing. That and they all admit torturing him since he started in the band. Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:03:58 AM EDT
If you like Pantera, check out "Down" and "Superjoint Ritual" Those are Phil from Pantera's side bands, they ROCK!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:12:33 AM EDT
Check out a band called Acid Bath...
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:11:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kay9: IMO, there is no better album than And Justice For All.
View Quote
That's a good album, but Master of Puppets is the best. Justice for all is a damn good album, but Master of Puppets is the best Metallica album. As for the best Metallica song, that's clearly the bass solo intro to anesthesia off of Kill 'em All. Cliff Burton was a God.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:53:37 PM EDT
i second the suggestion for Down. awesome band. i met them last year at ozzfest. have seen them 3 times so far. new slayer is good too, they didn't puss out like that other band.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:31:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/27/2003 12:46:22 AM EDT by 45calmike]
Originally Posted By a320az: Anything from Sepultura is good.
View Quote
Agreed, saw them live in Hawaii a few years ago and my ears are still ringing. Edit to add: Fear Factory Disturbed Drowning Pool Mr. Bungle Slipnknot There's more.....
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:29:36 AM EDT
Add [b]Speedealer - Screamer[/b] to the list. That song kicks ass.
Top Top