Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2003 11:44:56 AM EDT
Everyday in the paper there seems to be at least on story about a bank robbery in the city that has been robbed with a note.  Usually the amount disclosed is around $3,500 which leads me to believe that the thief cleared only one clerks drawer.

My question is: Why not call the bluff on these guys?  Most banks here have a bulletproof (because gun control works, you know[;)]) divider between the teller and the public, and chances are the guy is unarmed.  I understand the risk to the public and the legal liability for the bank to protect it's employees, but I would wager that 90% of these "note carriers" would turn and run if refused.

Would you let someone mug you with a note?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#1]
It's the training. I work in a financial institution and the training is to give the robber what they ask for and get them out of there as quickly as possible. All about minimizing "risk to public" and "legal liability". They do not want any heroes. They are afraid that if you screw with the robber that he may start shooting or set off the bomb, etc.... Hell it ain't my money, I'm not risking my life for "federally insured funds". Go for my wallet though and I'll have to phuck you up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Everyday in the paper there seems to be at least on story about a bank robbery in the city that has been robbed with a note.  Usually the amount disclosed is around $3,500 which leads me to believe that the thief cleared only one clerks drawer.

My question is: Why not call the bluff on these guys?  Most banks here have a bulletproof (because gun control works, you know[;)]) divider between the teller and the public, and chances are the guy is unarmed.  I understand the risk to the public and the legal liability for the bank to protect it's employees, but I would wager that 90% of these "note carriers" would turn and run if refused.

Would you let someone mug you with a note?
View Quote

I haven't been in a bank with a partition for many years.  Think I've seen more KFC with partitions than banks.

As for turning around if refused I don't think many would want to take the chance especially since it ain't their money.  These scum are unpredictable and they might kill customers.  Let the insurance take care of it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The opinion of most finincial institutions is that the risks you mentioned outweigh the possible benefits.

Answer: Personally, of course not. But as an employee, yes, and have.

Of course a group of us also chased down a temp employee who grabbed a typewriter and beat feet out the door.

If you can picture a guy who looks like an olympic sprinter bounding down the street carrying one of those thirty pound IBM typewriters with a half dozen guys in various states of physical condition, all wearing suits and ties, forty feet off his heels hollering like banshees. We never would have caught him but he refused to drop the goods and it finally wore him out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top