Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2003 2:21:52 PM EDT
I was wondering whether or not I could legally turn a rifle(M48A) into a handgun. Doesn't a rifle need to have a stock to be considered a rifle?

By cutting off the stock and leaving only a semi-pistol grip wouldn't that technically be considered a handgun?

Is that all that I would need to do, or am I forgetting something?(or am I wrong entirely??)

Thanks in advance,

Arndog
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
It's trickier for semi-autos because you have the weight restricion of the AWB:

A Semi-Auto pistol with an ability to accept a detachable magazine can not have two (2) or more of the following features:

1. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip.
  2. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender,  flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer.
  3. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned.
  4. a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded. a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.
View Quote

For your case, a bolt action, there's not a problem.  Just make sure you don't end up with something with a bbl shorter than 16" (or OAL less than 26") but still having a stock.  That's an SBR and would leave you SOL without an NFA stamp or SOT.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's trickier for semi-autos because you have the weight restricion of the AWB:

A Semi-Auto pistol with an ability to accept a detachable magazine can not have two (2) or more of the following features:

1. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip.
  2. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender,  flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer.
  3. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned.
  4. a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded. a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.
View Quote

For your case, a bolt action, there's not a problem.  Just make sure you don't end up with something with a bbl shorter than 16" (or OAL less than 26") but still having a stock.  That's an SBR and would leave you SOL without an NFA stamp or SOT.
View Quote

So as long as I leave the barrel over 16" I could cut down the stock to a pistol grip and return it to a rifle if I got another stock?

I don't need to worry about OAL when it is in "handgun" configuration, right?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So as long as I leave the barrel over 16" I could cut down the stock to a pistol grip and return it to a rifle if I got another stock?

I don't need to worry about OAL when it is in "handgun" configuration, right?
View Quote

Yep, that's correct.  Bbl length & OAL don't matter for a pistol.  You just have to keep them over 16"/26" when you put a stock on.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have a link to the ATF's definition of a handgun?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top