Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/25/2003 2:21:52 PM EDT
I was wondering whether or not I could legally turn a rifle(M48A) into a handgun. Doesn't a rifle need to have a stock to be considered a rifle?

By cutting off the stock and leaving only a semi-pistol grip wouldn't that technically be considered a handgun?

Is that all that I would need to do, or am I forgetting something?(or am I wrong entirely??)

Thanks in advance,

Arndog
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:42:10 PM EDT
It's trickier for semi-autos because you have the weight restricion of the AWB:
A Semi-Auto pistol with an ability to accept a detachable magazine can not have two (2) or more of the following features: 1. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip. 2. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer. 3. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned. 4. a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded. a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.
View Quote
For your case, a bolt action, there's not a problem. Just make sure you don't end up with something with a bbl shorter than 16" (or OAL less than 26") but still having a stock. That's an SBR and would leave you SOL without an NFA stamp or SOT.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:56:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fizassist: It's trickier for semi-autos because you have the weight restricion of the AWB:
A Semi-Auto pistol with an ability to accept a detachable magazine can not have two (2) or more of the following features: 1. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip. 2. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer. 3. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned. 4. a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded. a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.
View Quote
For your case, a bolt action, there's not a problem. Just make sure you don't end up with something with a bbl shorter than 16" (or OAL less than 26") but still having a stock. That's an SBR and would leave you SOL without an NFA stamp or SOT.
View Quote
So as long as I leave the barrel over 16" I could cut down the stock to a pistol grip and return it to a rifle if I got another stock? I don't need to worry about OAL when it is in "handgun" configuration, right?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:11:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ARndog: So as long as I leave the barrel over 16" I could cut down the stock to a pistol grip and return it to a rifle if I got another stock? I don't need to worry about OAL when it is in "handgun" configuration, right?
View Quote
Yep, that's correct. Bbl length & OAL don't matter for a pistol. You just have to keep them over 16"/26" when you put a stock on.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:46:50 PM EDT
Do you have a link to the ATF's definition of a handgun?
Top Top