Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 12:10:08 PM EDT
Hello all.  I'll give you a little backgound on me so you better understand where this question is coming from.  I have spina bifida and am in a wheelchair.  It was determined back when I was 18 that it is probably in my best interest not to drive.  So, I will have to take public transportation to get wherever I need to go.  Transporting a handgun to and from the range shouldn't be too difficult as I will have it concealed on my person.  However, a rifle or shotgun would be kind of difficult to transport via public transportation.  I don't want to give the driver or any of the passengers a panic attack.  How can I transport longguns to and from the range using public transportation? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Jonathan
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
buy a Guitar case  they make soft ones in cordura or you can get a used fiber board hard case for about 30.00
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hello all.  I'll give you a little backgound on me so you better understand where this question is coming from.  I have spina bifida and am in a wheelchair.  It was determined back when I was 18 that it is probably in my best interest not to drive.  So, I will have to take public transportation to get wherever I need to go.  Transporting a handgun to and from the range shouldn't be too difficult as I will have it concealed on my person.  However, a rifle or shotgun would be kind of difficult to transport via public transportation.  I don't want to give the driver or any of the passengers a panic attack.  How can I transport longguns to and from the range using public transportation? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Get yourself a hardcase, there are several types out there, and put a Fender or Gibson guitar sticker on the outside. If anyone asks, tell them its your guitar. It really is none of their business though. I would just do the above and grunt loadly loadly if asked what I had in the case.
CH
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I go to college in CT, and there is a music teacher who carries his guitars and keyboards in a GunSafe plastic double rifle case.  I have the same one, but use it for RIFLES.  So, I'd say even if they're in a black plastic gun case, you'd be all set.  However, if you feel more comfortable with a guitar case, go with it.  The Fender or Gibson sticker, as was suggested, would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there any way to attach a strap along the length of the case so I could put it on the back of my chair like a backpack or sling it over my neck?  I'm in a manual (arm powered) chair and It would be rather awkward to try to handle a big instrument case and manuver the chair at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow.  Topics sure move down the page quickly here, don't they? ha ha!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#7]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Guitar case should do it for you.  Guitar Center has "gig bags" under the online purchasing deal.  Mine has shoulder straps to wear it like a backpack but others have a single strap.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#11]
check this out too, it won't hold something with a pistol grip like an AR or AK, but I've got my Yugo SKS and AR upper in it with my lower in a backpack:Brine stick bag
I've just got some old t-shirts around the action so it doesn't print on the bag, but it's got a shoulder strap and runs about 45in long...could do a pretty good job if you're only transporting one long gun at a time..hope this helps
Jay
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why is it in your best interest not to drive?

I'll give you a little background on myself.  Basically 1998 was not a good year.  I was in and out of the hospital with shunt problems at first it was every few months then it was every few weeks and finally I went back in about 24 hours after a surgery.  I have a shunt due to a condition that about 80% of people with spina bifida have called hydrocephalus.  In 1999, I experienced a shunt headache that is distingushed from a regualr headache because the intensity of the pain changes with head position.  This is my marker I use to tell something is wrong, shuntwise.  So at this point I was thinking, "Oh great.  Didn't I just get over this? Oh well, I'll just be in the hospital 24 to 48 hours after surgery.  No big deal."  Boy was I in for a surprise.  I came out of surgery talking and alert.  I went up to my room, fell asleep, and woke up in a different room.  When I woke up, I learned from my parents that I'd been in the hospital for 9 days.  While I was asleep, a blood clot had lodged itself in the shunt tube and caused me to stop breathing.  What does this have to do with me not driving?  I'm getting there.  This episode left me with some minor problems.  I have short term memory loss, so I have to write everything down, nystagmus, and loss of depth perception (the doctors I've talked to over the years tell me I seem to have found a way to compensate for that.  It's become so automatic, I don't know how I'm compensating).  In 2000, I went to get my learners permit.  When they administered some sort of eye test (not sure what it's called) they discovered I didn't have depth perception.  When driving, I have a tendency to stop way back from lights and stop signs, that's the depth perception problem talking.  The nystagmus makes things blurry unless I hold my head in a certain position.  I can't look at objects straight on, they start jumping around, and get really blurry.  Thus, it was concluded that I probably shouldn't be driving.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow, and you shoot?

Accurately?

Well, I suppose you only need depth perception when you're looking at targets far away...

Yah, guitar cases would work; you can also dismantle your rifle (assuming it's dismantled into small-ish pieces) and pack the pieces in a toolbox or some such.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wow, and you shoot?

Accurately?

Well, I suppose you only need depth perception when you're looking at targets far away...

Yah, guitar cases would work; you can also dismantle your rifle (assuming it's dismantled into small-ish pieces) and pack the pieces in a toolbox or some such.

<Bill Clinton On>That depends upon what the definition of acurately is.<Bill Clinton Off> hee hee.  Yes, I do shoot.  To give you an indication of how accurate I am, I shot a .30 M1 Carbine for my 22nd birthday.  I was able to hit what I was aiming at.  I got most of the shots in the head and upper chest area.  When the nystagmus kicks in, I see the target, and what looks like pieces of said target radiating out from the center of it.  It makes things really distracting after a while.  I've shot:

1. automatic weapons (2002 in MN and this year at the Hanson, MA Rod and Gun Club Armed Forces Day back on, I believe, May 15.  Pictures at this link: groups.msn.com/machinegun/shoebox.msnw I'm the guy in the wheelchair.)

2.  semi-auto rifle and handgun

3. revolver

4.  shotgun

When the target starts to get blurry and out of focus, I set the safety on the gun, point it in a safe direction, and wait for a few seconds for my vision to clear up.  Also, since I can't drive, my father takes me to the range and is with me the whole time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#15]
btt
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Wow, sorry to hear all that.  Can anything be done about the nystagmus, anything surgically or otherwise?
How do you focus on the target?  I had an exgirlfriend with severe nystagmus, and she could not shoot accurately.
ETA - do you close an eye to shoot or do you keep both eyes open?

I've tried both methods of shooting, I think, that by closing one eye, it delays the nystagmus, but doesn't prevent it.  I've looked into nystagmus, and I think my form of it isn't completely curable, but I can control it to some degree.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Hook up with someone from the range and go with them.

If I lived in your area, I'd be happy to help out and transport your guns and/or you.

Never hurts to have another shooting buddy.  

Can you store a couple guns at the range?

My wife has a lot of health problems, so I can feel for you.  Luckily she has me, and is usually pretty mobile by herself.

Good luck & God Bless.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Can you store your long guns at the range?  Rent a locker, or safe space, etc.

Make it a great day
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, sorry to hear all that.  Can anything be done about the nystagmus, anything surgically or otherwise?
How do you focus on the target?  I had an exgirlfriend with severe nystagmus, and she could not shoot accurately.
ETA - do you close an eye to shoot or do you keep both eyes open?

I've tried both methods of shooting, I think, that by closing one eye, it delays the nystagmus, but doesn't prevent it.  I've looked into nystagmus, and I think my form of it isn't completely curable, but I can control it to some degree.

IIRC, frequent eye relief is recommended.  Does your's get worse with fatigue, hunger, irritability, bad mood, as it gets later in the day, etc?

I would have to agree with fatigue, and maybe hunger though I'm not sure.  Irritability, bad mood? I doubt it, no.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks.  I didn't know that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey Doublefeed.  Do you think that a laser sight might be easier for me to pick up on and shoot with as opposed to iron sights? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hey Doublefeed.  Do you think that a laser sight might be easier for me to pick up on and shoot with as opposed to iron sights? Thanks.

Although it is a completely different sight problem than the one that you have described, I have a good friend with a degenerating eye disorder. He loves to shoot, and when hunting, I just help him aim, and he can do the rest of the basics. When we go to the range, he can only take a few shots before getting tired from focusing all his attention on his vision. He put a laser sight on his sks and he sighted it in, and he says that it makes his shooting a lot easier for him, and thus has a much better time. He does have blurred vision that gets worse every year, trouble distinguishing between colors, and some shapes sometimes depending on a lot of conditions. What bothers him the most is the depth perception and trying to line the sights up without his eyes tricking him into not being lined up correctly.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Bump for Doublefeed.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top