Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/31/2001 2:12:07 PM EDT
I have been reloading pistol for over 10 years,but rifle is new to me.I bought a pre ban AR 15 with a 1/9.Its fine with 55 gr.@ 100,any further than that,no good.So I have been shooting 69 gr.My problem with reloading is when I lube,re-size,and deprime,they are very inconsistant.I have a shell checker,most good,some too short,and some too long.I am using RCBS press,Hornady dies,every thing is locked down and tight,shells are all the same brand,batch,and once fired.When I send my brass over to a friends house to size them,and trim on hid dillion,they come out perfect.It just takes about a month to get them back. Do I go back to factory,spend a small fortune. or can I rely on some one to give me a streight answer...HELP
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 2:30:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 2:56:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 9:09:08 AM EDT
it takes so long for him to get around to do it. As far as the length goes,when I check the brass with the checker,some are short,and go below the "no go".I can trim all I want,but that doesn't help with the shoulder location.I dont know,I hope you get my question
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 10:30:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2001 10:30:51 AM EDT by Jack-B-Nymble]
Do you lube the inside of your case necks? Have you checked your expander ball for smoothness? If you are changing your shoulder or the slope the expander ball/neck friction is most likely the culprit. I have a Hornady die, had to get them to send me another expander ball. The hard chrome that it was plated with was comming off, it was a crappy finnish. The replacement was perfect. I would suggest LEE sizing wax for the inside of your necks. Check your expander ball. Also, consistent case length is great, essential with match quality [b]or[/b] crimped cartridges. But for most loads without a crimp, it does not matter much. Keep it between trim to length and max, they do just fine. Cases that are too long are dangerous, can result in high pressures.
Top Top