Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/13/2002 12:04:23 PM EDT
what is the BEST way to reinstall windows me? the last install went awry and i need to do it again, i know there are different ways which is the best?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:09:07 PM EDT
I would make a windows/options cabs dir and copy all files to it.do your install from there.Are you familiar with this option?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:10:57 PM EDT
The [b]BEST[/b] way to re-install Windows ME is to not install it at all... If you have the choice of Microsoft operating systems, install Win2000 or WinXP. ...if not, well, I feel for ya... the_reject
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:14:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By the_reject: The [b]BEST[/b] way to re-install Windows ME is to not install it at all... If you have the choice of Microsoft operating systems, install Win2000 or WinXP. the_reject
View Quote
Agreed. Either Win2000 or XP, or if your machine can't bear the load, back to 98SE.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:31:15 PM EDT
it came with ME so i'm sol there and i'm not familiar with armalitefan's option
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:32:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By the_reject: The [b]BEST[/b] way to re-install Windows ME is to not install it at all... If you have the choice of Microsoft operating systems, install Win2000 or WinXP. ...if not, well, I feel for ya... the_reject
View Quote
No lie...
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:37:29 PM EDT
is xp the best?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:41:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By superdav: is xp the best?
View Quote
XP is a heck of a lot better than ME. ME is the most UNSTABLE operating system I have ever seen. I have heard of more problems with it than I have heard of people who DON'T have problems with it. XP and W2K are definitely a LOT more stable.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:44:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By superdav: is xp the best?
View Quote
xp has pluses, but I'll stick with 2k pro, since I don't have to ask Microsoft's permission to reinstall it as necessary (you need a code from Microsoft to reinstall XP EVERY TIME.) -legrue
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:55:34 PM EDT
There is no gravity, sir, Millennium Edition sucks. Dave S
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:59:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN: I would make a windows/options cabs dir and copy all files to it.do your install from there.Are you familiar with this option?
View Quote
how do i do this? i have had nothing but problems since i've had this computer, ME does suck i know
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 1:02:33 PM EDT
Another microcomputer professional for NOT reinstalling ME at all! Go for 2000 Professional or XP if you prefer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 1:04:26 PM EDT
[img]http://www.wown.com/jthadd/gifs/mecabs01.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 1:04:45 PM EDT
A small story from the Hun! I have a 1.4 GB Athalon AMD P/C that was running Windows ME - it froze the screen so many times it reminded me of Windows 98 without the SE. DSL finally came to my neighborhood and I was the first on the block to sign up. 3 year commitment. I needed to install an ethernet card on the P/C for the DSL connection. No problem, went to Best Buy, cost around $60.00 for the card and installation. Problem was that my Windows ME would 'freeze' when the ethernet card was 75% installed. The techs thought it was a bad ethernet card, but the 2nd and 3rd cards caused the P/C to freeze as well. The techs then suggested that Windows ME needed to be reinstalled to cure the problem. Wait, sez I, doesn't that mean that all my files would be wiped out? Yes, but that's the only way it can be done. Then, I can't get the card installed, 'cause I can't lose all my programs. Sorry, sez they. Wait! If I install Windows xp on my P/C, won't it adopt all of my ME files during the install process? Yep, sez they. So that's how I got Windows xp, and got rid of ME. Best decision I ever made! Eric The(TotallySatisfied)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 1:04:56 PM EDT
(Unlike Windows98 SE, which installs its setup-files to Windows\options\cabs, Windows ME uses the "Windows\options\install" directory)
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 1:18:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By satcong: [img]http://www.wown.com/jthadd/gifs/mecabs01.gif[/img]
View Quote
i better leave that one alone cause i don't know what the hell you're talking about
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 1:20:42 PM EDT
i will just do it the way gateway suggested, i have it printed on paper thanks for the info anyway
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 1:22:41 PM EDT
A little story...about 7 months ago, I got a call from a large company about trouble with there network. I went there to discover they were running ME on all machines. I loaded 98SE on all of the machines and got a call 2 weeks ago that all was still running with no problems...ME SUX...I take it off every computer I work on. Its is without a doublt the worst side of Microsoft...I recommend 98SE IF you are running a little older computer ie 750 or so....XP for all the new stuff..use ME disk for coasters on the coffee table..Just my experiences...Trucker
Top Top