Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 1:17:57 PM EDT

i picked up a set of the ping eye2 at a yard sale thinking i'd resell them. ive decided i'd like to play them myself a bit first. the grips are pretty well shot and need to be redone. it seems like something i could do myself, but i really have no idea what teh variables are for grips. material, brand name, etc.

also, how important is pings color code. the red dots are typically suggeted for someone a little shorter than me. im 6'2.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Take them to your local proshop.

Let them recommend what you need to get.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Regripping is very easy.

First, you're going to need to cut off the old grips with a blade. Then take off the tape.

Next, wrap some double faced grip tape around the top of the shaft, stopping about 1/2" above where the grip will be (i.e. you don't want to see the tape)

Next, while you're wearing rubber gloves, spread some naptha over the tape. Use a pan to catch the excess (something like a PIE pan or paint tray)

Put a little napta in the grip and roll it around to spread.

Then slide the grip on over the tape. Just try to make sure it's straight. You only have so much room and time to move the grip around on the club.

Then let it sit for about 24 hours.

For grips, I like golf pride tour velvet for irons and lamkin corded for woods.

You can get everything you need at http://www.dynacraftgolf.com/

As for sizes, there should be a chart on their site for hand / grip sizing. If not call their 800# and they can steer you through it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks! that gave me lots of details to start with. i really didnt even know what the major online golf retailers were.

since then, i've done a good bit of web reserach and have found that the market has really changed. its been about 15yrs since i'e been a regular player, but am hoping to start playing again this spring.

things now are much more technical than i remember. all kinds of funky materials and assloads of marketing 'science'. i'm still trying to sort out what really matters.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top