Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 4/17/2006 3:13:55 PM EST
old guy here needs help. my son's band is jamming up a storm. i want to record it and save it on my computer so i can e-mail it to a friend.

how can i go about this?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:33:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 1:35:09 AM EST by Floppy_833]
The PC mic records in mono only, but we'll go with that for now.
1) Get a PC mic. Alternately, get a decent mini-mic. Cheap PC mics use notoriously noisy enclosures. If you use a cheap PC mic, set it up where you won't accidentally move the mic wire AT ALL during recording, and set the mic itself on an unfolded dry washcloth.
2) download three free programs: Audacity is the first one, LAME is the second one, and RazorLAME is the third one. Audacity records to wav files, LAME is a command-line MP3 encoder, and RazorLAME is a GUI front-end for LAME (that makes it look/work like a regular windows program). If you don't mine using a command-line program, then you can skip downloading RazorLAME. Audacity and LAME you download from the sourceforge.net site; RazorLAME has its own website. Install all these.
3) how it works is this: you plug the mic in, enable the mic-jack in the OS system sound settings, set the rec level to 75% or so and then start Audacity to record the noise, and you save that file as a .wav file. The wav file will be huge, way too big to email, it's supposed to be that way. Then, you close Audacity and start RazorLAME, and pick the original wav file, and then set RazorLAME to encode it as a MP3. The "bit-rate" is a number you choose in RazorLAME; smaller numbers mean more compact files but poorer sound quality. Start with 96Kb/sec and go down or up from that as you like. The file that RazorLAME outputs will be a MP3, much smaller than the wav file but it will be the same recording.
-------
To record in stereo is a bit more complicated. The PC mic jack is mono-only; the line-in jack supports stereo but requires a line-level signal (higher power than a mic will produce). Easiest way is to use a stereo cassette recorder, and then do step #2 above (download the three programs) and then use a patch cable (double-ended 3.5mm TRS cable--this is a stereo cable) to connect the casette recorder's "headphone" jack into the PC's "line-in" jack. Set the PC to record from the line-in, set the casette volume to zero and the line-input level to zero and then "record" while turning both up a bit at a time until you get a good signal (around -3 dB). Then stop, erase that file, and re-record the tape recording into the PC again, this time for good.
-------
For digital recording, you use a "negative" dB recording input level--the sound input level should always stay under zero. -3 dB is the normal peak sound level in a professional digital recording. When the normal level of sound is happening, you want the level meter bouncing around from -10dB up to about -3 dB. The PC won't explode or break if you go over zero, but it will cause a bad type of distortion in the recorded sound file that can't be removed or corrected. The Audacity recording program has rec-level meters in it; if everything else is hooked up and set right, the meters "bounce" as it picks up mic or line-in signal.
~

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:34:37 AM EST
Do you have a video camera? Record your son playing on it. Then just feed the audio out from the video camera into the line in jack of your computer sound card. Depending on the sound card you have, and the software that came with it, you can record and edit the music you recorded.

What ever methed you use to get the music into your computer, you will need to compress it from .WAV format down to .mp3 to get the file size small enough to email it.
Top Top