Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2013 5:10:26 AM EST
There is so much information out there I thought where best to turn then GD....

basically, we need one for the wife's allergies (minor) which will help reduce dust and dander. probably one in our bedroom, and maybe one more in the living room if we can afford it.

The sharper image ones seem to have a good reputation but they are so expensive. So which ones have you used, do you like them, and do they work? Ive never noticed a difference when my parents had them, but then again I have never had allergies, or other reactions, to dust, dander, ect.

the other option would be to hire someone to help clean the house, but we definitely cant afford that right now.

what says the hive?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:13:14 AM EST
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R2WEJQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheap and has worked great for us in the couple weeks we've had it. It's on in our bedroom overnight and my dog allergies aren't as bad now and my wife's minor dust allergies show no symptoms throughout the day.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:17:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/19/2013 5:18:44 AM EST by Eject]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By whoanelly:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R2WEJQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheap and has worked great for us in the couple weeks we've had it. It's on in our bedroom overnight and my dog allergies aren't as bad now and my wife's minor dust allergies show no symptoms throughout the day.
View Quote

is it quiet? most of the ones I figure I can afford aren't quiet

eta: i know they all say they are quite, but thats why Im asking you
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:22:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:25:10 AM EST
I liked the ionic breeze, but alas those seem to be discontinued.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:33:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By Eject:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Eject:
Originally Posted By whoanelly:

The lowest setting is almost silent. The highest setting gives a white noise that's a little quieter than a box fan.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:35:54 AM EST
thanks for all the replies, glad a $200-$400 air freshener isnt the only viable option
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:39:04 AM EST
If you REALLY need to filter the air, then get a HEPA.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:16:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By krpind:
I bought this one on the recommendation of one of my employees.

So far, I'm really happy with it.

http://www.continentalfan.com/ecatalog.php?fantype=residential&fid=99&s=Air+Purification
View Quote

Avoid ionizers and ozone generators (or keep them turned off) as they reduce air quality and can exacerbate things like asthma.

Get a "true HEPA" filter. Honeywell filters are generally good. I have this one and it works great. It's extremely quiet on the lowest setting, and all you can hear on the highest setting is the air movement. This UV-C HEPA filter is what I have running in my bedroom, and it's extremely quiet on the lowest two settings, and just air movement noise on the highest setting.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:18:23 AM EST
get one that goes on the HVAC and filters the entire house,
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:55:43 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:34:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:
get one that goes on the HVAC and filters the entire house,
View Quote

we have one on the HVAC. Problem is, we dont run them much. Im sure we will run it more in the winter, but fortunately MD is mild and our neighbors keep their places warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer, so it saves us energy
Top Top