Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 3:25:27 PM EDT
the gf is moving up here next month and wants get into shooting

that being said she is a total novice. Her first time shooting a firearm was back in December putting about 15rds through a Beretta M9

I'm thinking about a .22 rifle of some type, probably either a M&P 15-22 or 10/22 with an inexpensive red dot

What would be a lefty friendly beginners rifle?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Get the 15-22.  It has all the same controls and manual of arms as the AR, so you can make the transition over more easily later.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Battle Arms Development sells a ambi-safety for the 15-22, Brownells sells it for about $50.00.

Tactical Innovations has a LH safety for the 10/22, on sale for a little over $11.00.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Before you get too carried away buying a rifle, it would be best to make sure that she isn't cross eye dominant.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Vanilla AR15 type rifle.

it's surprising how lefty friendly they actually are.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]
10-22s eject powder in my eyes sometimes. Go with the 15-22.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Before you get too carried away buying a rifle, it would be best to make sure that she isn't cross eye dominant.
View Quote

good point, I didn't even think about that part

when she shot the Beretta I showed her how to check which eye was dominant. I'm fairly sure she said she was left eye dominant
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

when she shot the Beretta I showed her how to check which eye was dominant. I'm fairly sure she said she was left eye dominant
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a good point.

If someone has two eyes and is opposite eye ball dominant

JUST train them to match up.

It's so easy for the brain to correct.

The Cross Eye Dominant shit needs to stop and just be corrected through eye exercises.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Beretta CX4 - converts to LH eject and there's a version which uses her 92FS mags.  

Shoot more with GF.

Profit!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Beretta CX4 - converts to LH eject and there's a version which uses her 92FS mags.  

Shoot more with GF.

Profit!
View Quote

already own a CX4, hadn't really given it a thought. Honestly haven't shot it in forever either
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Get the 15-22.  It has all the same controls and manual of arms as the AR, so you can make the transition over more easily later.
View Quote

This is also my answer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

already own a CX4, hadn't really given it a thought. Honestly haven't shot it in forever either
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot more with GF.

Profit!

Winnar!!!  RTFM then - the online PDF I have (4 languages version) shows how to "Reverse the controls" to make it LH.  Doesn't look too bad at all...  Maybe a red-dot or some lightweight optic would be a good alternative to the irons if she's not a fan of iron sights.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Ruger 10/22...even comes in pink.

/thread
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Battle Arms Development sells a ambi-safety for the 15-22, Brownells sells it for about $50.00.

Tactical Innovations has a LH safety for the 10/22, on sale for a little over $11.00.
View Quote
the 15-22 safety can be reinstalled on the opposite side of the rifle  also

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#14]
An FN FS2000.  Very lefty friendly. And she'll feel like a badass.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
An FN FS2000.  Very lefty friendly. And she'll feel like a badass.
View Quote

While the FS2K does duty as my HD/SHTF gun for this reason (forward ejection making it 100% ambidextrous moment to moment) I wouldn't put it as the ideal first rifle for a newbie of any gender.  Bit heavy especially once you put an optic on it, and apparently some folks are surprised by bullpup muzzle blast.  With all that said, still a great gun - though 2nd to the AUG IMNSHO.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Savage Mark IIGL bolt action. Put a good rimfire scope on it like a Nikon 4x32mm Prostaff and it'll be a tack driver.

We have 3 LH Savage bolt action rimfire in my house: a Mark IIGL, a 93 GL in .22 Magnum, and a Rascal for my daughter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top