Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2001 2:35:26 PM EDT
I'm just curious if anyone else frequents this news group. I've posted there twice in the last week or two. In the first a guy asked about the LEGP  and where it was located on ar15.com. I posted a reply with the information and also the castle-arms.com address. The post was deleted - never made it to the group. The second thing I noticed happened just yesterday. Someone asked a question about Cavalry Arms lowers.
Take a look at this:
-----------------------
"Subject: Re: New AR-15 question
Date: 10/11/2001 8:08 AM US Mountain Standard Time
Message-id: <[email protected]>

Hi Scott & Group

sfritz wrote

I purchased an AR-15 with 20 inch barrel this past Spring made by Cavalry Arms Corporation in Mesa Arizona and have had a blast shooting it.  People come up to me at the range asking what type it is and are curious about it's Polymer Lower receiver construction.

Does anyone in the group own one of these and are there any reviews on them anywhere? I feel that I am the only person who owns one.

Yes, I have two of them :) However, the lower has *nothing* at all to do with accurracy, as that is all resident in the upper.

The plastic lower is intriguing. However, unless and until it offers a significant price reductiuon, then why buy plastic over forged aluminium alloy with mil spec coatings for longevity. Not to mention resale value.

For lot's more astonishing AR15 info, take a look at the acclaimed AR15 url
below.

Thanks for the very kind interest!
Clint
Now, with on line ordering!
http://www.fulton-armory.com/
http://www.fultonarmory.com/"
----------------------
Now, this same guy here telling the other guy he might want not to buy a cavalry arms lower - this Clint,  is also the moderator of the rec.guns group. I posted a reply to the post above, letting the sender know nylon-glass filled lowers don't need milspec coatings, come with the buttstock, buttplate, buffer tube and spring, etc. - and are not just a stripped lower, AND that you couldn't run over a forged lower with a truck and expect it to function.  Guess what happened to this reply? This reply also was "moderated" out of existence in the group..it never showed up. Now I find that "astonishing." Seems our "acclaimed" moderator has a vested interest in the posts that show up or am I just whizzing into the wind?
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't cha know Clint runs Fulton-Armory???
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, I saw a bunch of posts about the LEGP and Cav Arms when I perused the newsgropup earlier today. Wasn't paying much attention to the content but I'll check and see if your post is there.

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm just curious if anyone else frequents this news group.
View Quote

Well, I've been frequenting rec.guns since 1984 - will that do?

I've posted there twice in the last week or two.
View Quote

There are a lot of reasons the r.g moderator sends posts to dev/null, and without seeing your original it's hard to say.  It could have been something like you failed to use a valid return email address in the header, or something else that violated the r.g charter.

Now, this same guy here telling the other guy he might want not to buy a cavalry arms lower - this Clint,  is also the moderator of the rec.guns group.     [snip]

Seems our "acclaimed" moderator has a vested interest in the posts that show up or am I just whizzing into the wind?
View Quote

Actually, I can tell you what the problem is right now -

[b]You have no fucking clue what you're talking about.[/b]

Clint McKee is most definitely [b]not the moderator of rec.guns!!![/b]  Where you got that idea is a total mystery, but you happen to be very, very wrong.  I happen to know the r.g moderator personally (I've sold him machine guns and ammunition) and it's definitely not Clint.

So before you start slamming "Clint" the r.g moderator, you really need to read the FAQ and group charter, then look at your messages and find out why 1) the moderator didn't post it, and 2) why the message didn't get back to you when the moderator returned it.

http://[url]http://doubletap.cs.umd.edu/rec.guns[/url]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, you know, I posted here to find out what the problem was. I can honestly say my posts were simple facts requested by the original poster. There was no hit on anyone. It's kind of hard to dis someone who just asks for a website you know? You on the other hand seem to have a hard time with that Steel_Rat. I was just trying to figure out why my posts weren't showing up, first of all. I did some trackng and find that yes as you mention, the moderator track leads else where. What I still find curious is why every post to the group has a chance to win a Fulton-Armory gun at the bottom of it. I'm not dissing anyone, nor was there any intent to do so. If you've got a problem with me asking a question and noting some strange coincidences, then that's your problem. Clint shouldn't be dissing another manufacturer's products with half truths either. I post to the group infrequently, but that's the first time a post hasn't shown up. Would you not be curious? Would you not ask questions?  I'm wondering if they just don't take posts from AOL, but that wouldn't be logical. I will look more into it. Thanks for the info RAT.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm with ya wizard! I am pretty damn tired of Fulton spam in every damn AR15 post on rec.guns as well.
As far as posts not showing up, I notice that when I post a link in an answer, 50% of my posts never show up. Funny how Clints links are always there and always show up. I know he's not the moderator, but for some reason his spam slathers the entire ng.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#9]
You know I didn't post there with any intent to open a bucket of worms. I was just giving information in response ot a question. I guess that's why I was kind of wondering what's going on. It probably has nothing to do with me and just the way the server works or something.  There's a lot of good information passed on that  newsgroup, and that's what counts I guess. My apologies if I pissed anyone off in here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#11]
1.  As pointed out by others, Clint isn't moderator, just another poster.

2.  Clint wrote "The plastic lower is intriguing. However, unless and until it offers a significant price reductiuon, then why buy plastic over forged aluminium alloy with mil spec coatings for longevity. Not to mention resale value."  Reasonable question, I think.  Why would you?  Well, one reason would be to have something different.  I'm OK with that.  

3.  If you don't want to see Clint's "spam", then don't read anything he posts - you have to click on his posts to read them.  It's voluntary, not mandatory.

4.  Because rec.guns is a moderated newsgroup, some ISP's don't work too well with it.  I use Prodigy (was Flashnet) and anything I post to rec.guns simply disappears and never makes the group.  I have to e-mail my postings to the moderator for them to show up on the group.  Your ISP may be your problem.  It sure was mine.

5.  Finally, I've been reading rec.guns for the last several years.  Contrary to what Waldo reports, every time Clint responds to an inquiry, I've ALWAYS seen good advice and detailed explanations.  Yes, I'm a little tired of the "acclaimed web site" bit too, but the guy is in business to make a living.  In fact, I had him custom build my AR to my specs after a fairly extensive e-mail exchange.  I have absolutely NO complaints about his work.  

The general consensus in rec.guns is either you like the guy or you hate him.  IMHO he's an excellent resource - just ignore the advertising.

Link Posted: 10/12/2001 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Kevin,

You're probably right about the ISP issue. AOL's news reader/poster isn't the best. I made a mistaken assumption that clint was the moderator, based on the Fulton thing at the bottom of every post. Dumb on my part. And you know I really have nothing against Clint, I've never even spoken to him. It just seemed somewhat unfair to allude to someone else's product not being up to snuff to pump up your own. A product stands on its own merits and the customer service it gets. That polymer lower had been run over, burned, hammered, and it still works. I think that's pretty neat in and of itself but I wouldn't tell some one it would last longer than forged because of it. To each his own I guess. From what I've seen of Clint's posts, he obviously knows his ARs. It's kinda like getting a Ford guy to admit a Dodge can be a good car I guess.

Next time I won't assume it's Clint if my post doesn't show up. : ) It's a good newsgroup.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Waldo:  As regards Clint and spamming, apparently the moderator has no real objections to the level of advertising Clint does.  You may, that's your perogative.  And perhaps he's toned it down a bit over the years.

Wizard:  Let me get this straight - they've run over an assembled lower with a vehicle and it still worked?  Nothing inside got damaged?  THAT would be impressive.  Of course, if there was an UPPER on it when it was run over it would be a moot point....

(edited to add:)Also, Fulton ARmory only very recently began offering their own lowers.  Before this they required you to send them a stripped lower (that's what I did - a Bushmaster) and they would build your rifle up from that.  It's a good deal that way, you only pay the Federal tariff on the value of the stripped lower, not the entire rifle.  They recommended (in no particular order) Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt as good quality to start from.  Clint has also recommended the Rock River rifles as an excellent choice for an "off the shelf" gun, and states that the DPMS 10 round magazines are the best available in that capacity.    

The guy's a perfectionist, what can I say?
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey Whiz, learn to post correctly.

Email your rec.guns post to [email][email protected][/email].

As long as your post doesn't violate the charter, it will be posted.  The Moderator is an extremely fair-minded individual who has done an excellent job for well over a decade.  He's done it damn near every single day, even on the day his first child was born, and he deserves everyones' thanks for his hard work both in keeping the first internet shooting community together AND in fighting against Glendenning's gun-banning vermin in Maryland.

He is one of our best and brightest.  You owe him a long and sincere apology, followed by a few thousand hours of community service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top