Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 9:52:02 PM EDT
What's everyone's favorite syrup for pancakes, waffles, salad  tossing...?

I have never had real maple syrup(not available in west Texas) and was curious about how good it is. I am thinking about ordering some online, it's gotta be better than Log Cabin.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
When I lived in Canada we used to get our Maple syrup from the Mennonites. BEst of the best.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
"Salad tossing"?

ETA either you have some really weird salads or....you know....ummm.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I have never had real maple syrup(not available in west Texas) and was curious about how good it is. I am thinking about ordering some online, it's gotta be better than Log Cabin.

Plenty of it here. You can't compare real maple syrup to that sugar crap. Real maple syrup is far better than the best factory made "pancake syrup". Surely, they must ship it south! It's not like it doesn't have a long shelf life. Weird...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
"Salad tossing"?

Indeed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Whatever it tastes like, it HAS to be better than fucking flavored 100% light corn syrup.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"Salad tossing"?

+1.

WTF?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#7]
MonkTx: I would get the smallest amount, because the taste is vastly different from that of the so-called maple "flavored" syrups from the local supermarket. There is several grades, I think not sure, but US#1 is the lightest, to #2 which is darker and is used for baking. These USA rankings does not indicate the quality, but the aroma and flavor. Double check me because I'm definitely not an expert at this stuff.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Salad tossing"?

+1.

WTF?

"Salad tossing" is a reference to a Chris Rock skit about getting "broke in" in prison by visiting the salad toss man- you basically had two options to go with the salad tossing; sryup or jelly. That's as far into it as I'll go for now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#10]
i love grade A amber VT maples syrups.  If you have seen "Super Troopers" you would recall when the crazy VT cops start chugging straight maple syrup (try some, you'll know why)..

If in VT, you gotta seek out the old sugar shacks and the folks that make the syrup-- unbelievable stuff, with alot of variety  

Try some of these sights:www.happyacresfarm.com

www.vtmaplesyrup.com

www.vermontmapleoutlet.com

friends don't let friends eat fake maple syrup--VT

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#11]
To me they all taste the same
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#13]
For pancakes, I like butter. Then again, the places I go for pancake breakfasts (IHOP or Denny's) have nasty-ass syrups....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Any of the fake syrups have a corn syrup taste and texture.  I only buy real maple syrup, and only eat the other stuff on extremely rare occasions.

In addition to hot breakfast foods, real maple syrup is great on ice cream and cornbread.

I will be tapping my own maple trees and making my own maple syrup in a few years.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#15]
oh man, you dont know what you've been missing.

we make syrup every year at my grandpas woods.  its not as thick as the store bought stuff, but its sweeter.

i hate cheap syrup, i dont ever get french toast/pancakes here at my college anymore b/c the syrup is so shitty i cant stand it.

i've actually been known to take a small sip of syrup from the fridge....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Shows what you know.

Log cabin is the best imitation maple syrup you can buy.
Check the ingredients, it actually contains "some" real maple syrup, as opposed to other brands which contain NONE!

You can buy real maple syrup in TX, I have some sitting right next to a bottle of Log Cabin.

Look a little harder...it's on the shelf.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I Live in Maine, need I say more?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Real Maple Syrup ROCKS!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Unless you want to use it for the rest of your life- DON'T BUY ANY. Once you do the corn syrup you're used to won't cut it. Sort of like trading Dixie Beer for (your favorite premium) and then trying to go back. I thought Log Cabin was great stuff 'till..........
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#20]
With the wonders of modern shipping and larger than ever grocery stores, how can something as basic as real mayple syrup NOT be available in some form in every grocery store  anywhere in this country?I can understand that you wont have 15 different varities on your shelves, but there should be at least ONE brand on the supermarket shelf.

Just goes to prove that other parts of the country have some really lame grocery stores.I have had parents of local college students lament that their kid is graduating because they wont be able to hit our local stores on their trips to town  to visit Junior.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Mmmmm.......syrup chugging............ "Relax the jaw and those thin little bird lips you got!!"

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm from VT too........Shit....we made our own syrup. Tapped the 30 or so maples on the property and went to work.

The fake shit is for the birds.

Went into the grocery store the other day and saw some crap labeled VT Syrup.......came from down south somewhere and was corn syrup based.

Pissed me off so bad I almost fell off my cow.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#24]
BTW - I get my syrup from Hannaford Brothers up here - and yes it is REAL Maine Syrup - good stuff like what I grew up too in central Maine my whol life till age 19 lol.....Real syrup is the bomb - do not settle for imitations!

Too much maple syrup often leads to incest, bearfucking, and other redneck breed sports...............

PURE 100% Vermont Maple Syrup is not unlike Cocaine - it will make your fellow law enforcement officers do some fucked up shit........true story........

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#25]
If you like maple syrup - try maple butter! It is distilled down until it is semi solid. spread some of that on your french toast
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#26]
You've never had real maple syrup? Shit I can't take a walk in the woods without tripping over sap lines. I usually have around 2 gallons in the house. People give it as gifts all the time for christmas and we don't eat pancakes and waffles all the time, so it just sits.

You should order some just to know the difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top