Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 10:37:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#1]
OK.  This gets my vote for the least expected topic of the week.

Thanks for the memories.  I don't, of course, remember the baths, but I do remember clamoring around where they were.  I remember the junk in the Cliff House, the FunHouse at FunLand, The Big Camera, and the seals on the rocks.  

The Cliff House has been remodeled (again).  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Back in the day I used to take my girlfriend down to the Sutro Baths ruins, drink beer and play grabass.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:00:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I got scared when I saw the words "bath house" and "SF" in the same sentence.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:52:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

+2
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone but me notice that in the top photo the crowd all seems to be in pretty good shape?  

Not exactly the typical "Weight Class" you'd see today in a stroll through the mall, eh?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:16:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Film
Bath house
San Fran
CAn't be good
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:20:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Things really did used to be different.

I grew up in central Mass, which had a large Finnish population.  They had public saunas around the city in the 20's and 30's  that involved lots of naked guys sitting around together, but no gayness.  Most of the immigrants had apartments and couldn't have a sauna, so some Finns made a decent business of building public saunas.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:59:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Papertargets

I remember all that too - and the baths.  My mother was a native.  My grandfather (WWI and WWII veteran) was City Desk Editor of the Examiner in the late 40s through the 50s (before WWII he was on the Alameda paper, and then the Examiner's police reporter - carried his WWI service 1911 in his pocket and no SFPD cop ever hasseled him becuase he was 'a good guy').  That was when "Bagdhad by the Bay" was a solidly Republican city (as was California a solidly Republican state).  Heck, Herb Caen announced my North Carolina birth is his column.

We were stationed at the Presido 1960-61 (until Dad went to Vietnam). and visted often  I may have been a little kid, but that was a marvelous city (I went to Sutro Elementary and had birthdays at FunLand).  Mom, Grandfather and "Maw Maw" are buried at the National Cemetary at the (ex) Presido.

How its changed.   What an arguement for the neutron bomb.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey, that's pretty neat.

Good post.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:13:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Back in the day I used to take my girlfriend down to the Sutro Baths ruins, drink beer and play grabass.

X2,Funland was pretty cool as well.Man,I miss riding down HWY 1 on my Gixxer

One time I was walking my dog and I went around the first pillar of the GG bridge and started walking down the beach,it was really succluded because it was really hard to get there.After about 15 minutes of walking I noticed a bunch of people playing volleyball in the distance.As I got closer I noticed they were all men,nekkid tanning thier ballsacks.I was really scared and did a 180 as fast as I could.Still mentally scarred from that incident.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#12]
SF is a fry cry from what it was.  It was once a neat city.  Now it's the sewer of the state.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:36:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm sure back then Sf wasn't known for its ass fuckers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+3
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

+2

It's been decades since you could talk about a bathouse in SF with anonymous butt piracy being a principal attraction of the baths. . . .
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool.  Those were the days.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#17]
thanks for sharing.... I knew about the cliff house but not about the baths
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Cool.  Those were the days.

I hope you were not refering to the post above yours.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for sharing that, I like old stuff like that... Less the butt pirates.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One time I was walking my dog and I went around the first pillar of the GG bridge and started walking down the beach,it was really succluded because it was really hard to get there.After about 15 minutes of walking I noticed a bunch of people playing volleyball in the distance.As I got closer I noticed they were all men,nekkid tanning thier ballsacks.I was really scared and did a 180 as fast as I could.Still mentally scarred from that incident.

You sure do have a pretty mouth
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Baker Beach? They're not all homos. Quite a fews strippers and sex industry workers tan down there as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#23]

See that cave down there by the cliff on the right? On the other side is a little flat area near a tide pool. It's fenced off, but you can squeeze through. Many a fond memory with the ex-GF down in that cave back in the 80's.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#24]
My grandmother was there for the 06 quake, lived out in Golden Gate Park for 6 months.  I can remember the Cliff House and swimming pools.  The thing I most remember was the toothpick sculptures.

San Francisco has always been pretty free spirited, not the same way as today, but it's always had a wild side.

And more or less just around the corner is the USS San Francisco Memorial.  That's worth a visit, too.  Jeez the size of the splinter and fragment holes in the flying bridge.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#25]
ok  ok   who's got the damn
Time-Machine?

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure do have a pretty mouth

I havent laughed so hard in months, you guys are killing me, first time I ever heard the term "butt pirate".....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top