Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2011 12:02:10 AM EDT
Is this a double post? If so, sorry in advance.
LA radiation live streaming
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#1]
It's at 54 something.  What's the unit of measure?
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Is this a double post? If so, sorry in advance.

LA radiation live streaming

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I do not know, I was hoping a brain on here could enlighten me...
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
CPM
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know which is most sad....the fact someone feels the need to set up a radiation detector to monitor for Japanese radiation that will never reach the West Coast in the first place, or the fact there are actually 300+ dolts signed in there watching this.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#6]

this is my surprised face

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't know which is most sad....the fact someone feels the need to set up a radiation detector to monitor for Japanese radiation that will never reach the West Coast in the first place, or the fact there are actually 300+ dolts signed in there watching this.

Radiation will reach the west coast without a doubt, it just won't be dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:13:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

People need to entertain themselves between Charlie Sheen's live rants.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#9]
from another thread:

"you guys are measuring wrong.

If you want to measure radioactive "air" per say. Then you need a small
vacuum pump with a sterile filter. Run the pump for 10 minutes then
measure the filter sample with a Geiger counter.

You aint gonna measure any air or gas with a personal scintillation
device, (well maybe a small amount, but not an accurate reading.)

units of measure should be Micro Curies per mL."
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
from another thread:

If you want to measure radioactive "air" per say. Then you need a small vacuum pump with a sterile filter. Run the pump for 10 minutes then measure the filter sample with a Geiger counter.

You aint gonna measure any air or gas with a personal scintillation device, (well maybe a small amount, but not an accurate reading.)

oooooOOOOOOOoooooo someone got pwnd?
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#11]
So, I haven't heard of Micro Curies/mL yet... how does it compare with all the other measurements running around right now?
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
from another thread:

If you want to measure radioactive "air" per say. Then you need a small vacuum pump with a sterile filter. Run the pump for 10 minutes then measure the filter sample with a Geiger counter.

You aint gonna measure any air or gas with a personal scintillation device, (well maybe a small amount, but not an accurate reading.)

It might also help if they put the unit outdoors instead of on a shelf in their living room.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

So, I haven't heard of Micro Curies/mL yet... how does it compare with all the other measurements running around right now?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie

and what you want to measure is how much of the air is radioactive, thats why you use volume; ml.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:23:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

from another thread:

It might also help if they put the unit outdoors instead of on a shelf in their living room.
lol, yea that too. But it wont matter, because it wont measure the air properly anyway.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's at 54 something.  What's the unit of measure?

millions of death units.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:33:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Radiation will reach the west coast without a doubt, it just won't be dangerous.

But people are still going to panic nonetheless.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Half the people I know think within a week they are going to be glowing in the dark and having their skin falling off due to all the media hype.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I hate the nytimes but people are asking a lot of the same questions.... When will it be here?  Ohh and don't shoot the messenger

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/16/science/plume-graphic.html?ref=science
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hate the nytimes but people are asking a lot of the same questions.... When will it be here?  Ohh and don't shoot the messenger

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/16/science/plume-graphic.html?ref=science

Some in this thread are being overly harsh.

ARFCom works like an intelligence agency in a way.

We should be supportive of anyone who can bring forth information, no matter how far fetched it seems... That's called data mining... The more, the better.

Next you have the low level analysts who sift through the raw data, and filter out what is obviously false/wrong... All that they can't filter out gets pushed up to Subject Matter Experts.

The SMEs review the data, and determine what it means in technical terms... This technical information is then turned into real world meaning by the high level analysts.

The amazing thing about ARFCom, is this happens naturally here, without official organization.

So we should always encourage any information to be brought forward... It's only when data-miners start arguing with the SMEs that we need to put someone in their place.

[/pontification]

Nahal: Information relating to the Fukushima event would be better placed in the Fukushima official thread, rather than a new thread.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1161884&page=44

TR85.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We should be supportive of anyone who can bring forth information, no matter how far fetched it seems... That's called data mining... The more, the better.

Next you have the low level analysts who sift through the raw data, and filter out what is obviously false/wrong... All that they can't filter out gets pushed up to Subject Matter Experts.

The SMEs review the data, and determine what it means in technical terms... This technical information is then turned into real world meaning by the high level analysts.

The amazing thing about ARFCom, is this happens naturally here, without official organization.

So we should always encourage any information to be brought forward... It's only when data-miners start arguing with the SMEs that we need to put someone in their place.

[/pontification]

Nahal: Information relating to the Fukushima event would be better placed in the Fukushima official thread, rather than a new thread.

TR85.

Yeah but I am the only one posting..
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:19:39 AM EDT
[#21]
You know they already have a couple of iPhone Geiger Counter apps out, right?

Since the iPhone has no ability to measure radiation, the apps just display random numbers.

Some people!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:26:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone reading the comments?
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:28:47 AM EDT
[#23]
It's already crossed the pain threshold, as far as I'm concerned
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:00:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Meh. I don't care to spend the money on a decent setup, but I did get a Terra-P last year after the big geiger counter thread here. I don't want to dig it out and take a measurement right this minute, but as of yesterday it was still just normal background radiation at around 0.1 uSv/hr. Short of a confirmed large-scale meltdown with breached containment and significant ejection into the atmosphere, I don't expect it to go up much if at all here in Oregon. But I'll keep checking once or twice a day for the next couple of weeks
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:09:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to say its going to be deadly - but there is such a thing as 'safe' radiation?

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[/pontification]

TR85.

Yeah but I am the only one posting..

You've been awesome at it, too.

TR85.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to say its going to be deadly - but there is such a thing as 'safe' radiation?

I certainly hope so. Because you're exposed to low-level radiation pretty much all day, every day. From a host of sources.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top