Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/30/2020 7:29:16 PM EDT
Do any of you guys own a quonset hut?
Does anybody still use these today, or are they outdated?
How does a quonset hut compare to a contemporary steel building/pole barn/barndominium?
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Just don't call it a quonset hut cuz tards will then call it a "kwanza hut".
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
That sounds like what the quarterback says when he's got his hands up under another dudes taint
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]
in for some sensible responses, I'm interested in these as well
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]
A very close friend of mine bought about 30 acres of land and placed one at the center. His original intent was to use it to park his high-end camper inside it and then just live in that. Instead, he ended up moving his camper out and finishing out the interior. He had it lined with spray foam and has done a descent job at building it out with a bedroom, bath, and living room. It just seems to me, that given the shape, there's a lot of wasted space along the sides. Even he has said he regrets going that route as opposed to constructing something more common like a cabin or metal building.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quonset huts are far less space efficient, windows often begin to leak over time, they're too hot in the summer, and they suck to live in.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
There are still quite a few restaurant buildings and such built from them after the war, scattered about the country.

They're still the basis of a scary amount of U.S. military real estate in Korea.

They seem a lot sturdier than many pole barns and such I've seen... would not mind having a garage made from one if I had the land for it, am kind curious what the costs would be.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
And they're limited to one story.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn, that brings back memories!

I think the Marine Corps still has them at CamPen.  What I remember most about them were the big floor fans always running at either end.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently not!

I think there's a huge one over at OCS they store shit in.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Damn, that brings back memories!
https://www.pendleton.marines.mil/Portals/98/Docs/Environmental/Cultural%20Resources/Images/Figure%2027.jpg

I think the Marine Corps still has them at CamPen.  What I remember most about them were the big floor fans always running at either end.
View Quote

I wonder what t-shirt the Gunny will be wearing this morning...

Sheesh, I guess we know where that was filmed,
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Our Philippine living quarters were quonsets. I found our ship's crew berthing to be far more comfortable, and it sucked.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Lived in ones in Quantico and Camp Wilson. FML
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes.   It's old.  Makes a hell of a shop.   Used to use it for flat storage.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Insulation is the key to making anything livable.  Also, a building within a building works well, too.  

The thermal bridging kills metal buildings as living space.  Hence, the building within a building concept.  

In FL there is a community centered around airplanes/runway.  One of them has a house within the airplane hanger and it makes the house much more livable.

Temp Coat 101 is a spray on nano ceramic coating used in the Middle East, and in industrial settings (pipe lines, refining, manufacturing, etc...) on the roof or piping to keep the temperature steady.

Some higher end RV builders are using Temp Coat 101 to 4 season their coaches.  Same principle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in farm country and we have a few around here. After the war, farmers bought them off the base at Quantico and reassembled them at home to use for equipment storage.

Mine's in need of some patching and a coat of paint, but it's still solid. Great to store my lawn stuff and it's got workbenches that I use all the time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quonset Huts in Quonset RI.

SeaBee Museum Quonset Point.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's a bow string truss set up
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Its a prefab corrugated steel shell, commonly called a quonset hut.
If you google "quonset hut homes" theres a lot of pics. I didnt see any of a bowstring truss.

The fact that the exterior (minus the 2 end walls)  and roof are self supporting, allows for just about any interior layout a builder can design. The 2nd floor is independent of the exterior walls.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#21]
IDEAL Clothing store commercial 1960s/70s Hammonton NJ
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I agree with the Pizza Oven thing. I arrived at Clark AB, PI in 1968 as a dependent and our overflow school was housed in those damn huts. No AC etc. I cant even look at one now without breaking out in a sweat....
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Lived in ones in Quantico and Camp Wilson. FML
View Quote

Camp Wilson is where I spent three months in one myself. Jan-mar 82...coldest I ever was in kalifornia
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I want to put one up. Interested in seeing pricing.

I dream of filling the yard with various outbuildings. The more buildings, the more powerful the man.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I helped a friend assemble a steel masters 25x25 building two years ago.

We spent about half a day assembling the sections on the ground and staging them, maybe 12 man hours.

It took four of us with two ladders and a rolling scaffold to stand everything up and bolt it together to be self supporting. Maybe 30 man hours.

Final tightening of all the kajillion bolts he did himself, ditto with closing in the end. I helped install the roll up door and hold some pieces in place while he did it. Took him probably a month of dinking around before he was totally done getting it enclosed, working at his own pace a few hours a day, skipping odd days when he felt like it.

Slab cost him about the same as the rest of the project, as he went extra thick with lots of rebar. I think he told me he was into it about 15k all in by the time he was done, sweat equity labor on everything except the slab itself.

If I end up with bare land to build on, I plan to do as big of one as I can pay for, and put bachelor quarters in it until I build a house.

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Gomer Pyle lived in one.

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I agree with the Pizza Oven thing. I arrived at Clark AB, PI in 1968 as a dependent and our overflow school was housed in those damn huts. No AC etc. I cant even look at one now without breaking out in a sweat....
View Quote
They can be made comfortable.

Our shops and offices in Rota, Spain are still Quonset Huts (big ones with a 2nd deck) The exteriors are covered in a heavy layer of spray foam and window units in the offices keeps them tolerable.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#28]
A guy nearby has one, he got a smoking deal on it.

Still had to pay like 12 grand to get the frost walls poured for it, and that was years ago.

Compared to a pole building I bet they can get pricey, but are probably going to last longer as long as it doesn't rust.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#29]
How to Build a Quonset Hut™ Home: Step-by-Step Guide
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Use to be quite a few WWII quonset huts in Rural AK.

Warm if insulated right.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just don't call it a quonset hut cuz tards will then call it a "kwanza hut".
View Quote

Baby Jebus was born in a KAWANZA HUT!!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#32]
You can get some with straight side walls. I have one 30x40. Mine has a short 3-4' side wall. It helps with the space. They do have some limitations with the curved roof. I have an engine hoist, A-frame style. It has to live in the middle of the garage. In 2000 I built it for about 12K with a full one piece pour footing/floor. 20 years later I have one noticeable floor crack. I put a container across one end for the wall. And have more storage space with that. And A 12 or14' high door. (I forget how high)

For the money it was the best I could do at the time. Not sure how they compare with a pole barn today.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I helped a friend assemble a steel masters 25x25 building two years ago.

We spent about half a day assembling the sections on the ground and staging them, maybe 12 man hours.

It took four of us with two ladders and a rolling scaffold to stand everything up and bolt it together to be self supporting. Maybe 30 man hours.

Final tightening of all the kajillion bolts he did himself, ditto with closing in the end. I helped install the roll up door and hold some pieces in place while he did it. Took him probably a month of dinking around before he was totally done getting it enclosed, working at his own pace a few hours a day, skipping odd days when he felt like it.

Slab cost him about the same as the rest of the project, as he went extra thick with lots of rebar. I think he told me he was into it about 15k all in by the time he was done, sweat equity labor on everything except the slab itself.

If I end up with bare land to build on, I plan to do as big of one as I can pay for, and put bachelor quarters in it until I build a house.
View Quote

happen to have any photos of that?

I am not looking to live in a quonset hut, more like equipment storage and/or possibly a shop
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a friend that sells them and traditional steel buildings. Biggest thing is they're ugly.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

That's two days of work, not counting the slab. One to put the pieces together on the ground, one to stand it up.

Can't find a pic of it closed in, I moved 600 miles not long after this. Still get up to visit every few months. Good peeps.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#37]
They are super sturdy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Casper's a Route 66 Diner

I've always wanted one, for the WWII nostalgia.

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#39]
My bad, I never heard them say quonset hut in the commercial.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Lived in one in Thailand with 3 other guys. Very comfortable. Everyday mama-san wake you up, iron your uniform and polish your shoes and send you to work.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Lived in one in Thailand with 3 other guys.Very comfortable. Everyday mama-san wake you up, iron your uniform and polish your shoes and send you to work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

I work out of a round top, it’s better than out in the dirt.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quonset huts are far less space efficient, windows often begin to leak over time, they're too hot in the summer, and they suck to live in.
View Quote

That's true to an extent. They are really hot in the summer for sure.
Quoted:
There are still quite a few restaurant buildings and such built from them after the war, scattered about the country.

They're still the basis of a scary amount of U.S. military real estate in Korea.

They seem a lot sturdier than many pole barns and such I've seen... would not mind having a garage made from one if I had the land for it, am kind curious what the costs would be.
View Quote

The one we have at school is a catch all for junk. There is a loft in it that nobody goes up into. The way it's constructed makes it seem like a death trap, but that's on whomever put that in.
Quoted:
View Quote

As shown above, they can be extended from what I've seen in the past. A loft inside can make use of space and essentially a second floor.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/152077/IMG_20181016_180418_jpg-1709095.JPG

That's two days of work, not counting the slab. One to put the pieces together on the ground, one to stand it up.

Can't find a pic of it closed in, I moved 600 miles not long after this. Still get up to visit every few months. Good peeps.
View Quote

Relatives bought one of these, were told something like two people can put it up in a day or day and a half, it took 4 or 5 people and 3 days
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#46]
There is still one in town that is used for storage by Northwestern Community Workshop.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I remember when you could buy a brand new surplus kit for $185.00.

My dad's company bought several to use for storage and shop space. Guess who had to help put them up?

Beat digging ditches for gathering system lines I reckon.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#48]
I lived in one while in AIT at Ft. Gordon after our company got kicked out of our nice barracks. All we needed was for Sgt. Carter to come walking in.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:52:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Casper's a Route 66 Diner

I've always wanted one, for the WWII nostalgia.
View Quote

let's eat there the next time I come visit you to shoot!
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:56:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

was that a kit?
rough cost?
link to website?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top