Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2014 3:12:35 PM EDT
how does it work ?

iv got a trust thru gear hog... ( well i will when i tell them what to put on it, its already paid for)....

so, to START the paperwork for the sbr, i need what??

is this basically how it works??????

1. buy gun to sbr or lower..........
2. have trust..... LISTING the gun / lower and ser number....
3. fill out atf paperwork....   listing gun / lower / serial number
4. email / mail paperwork,...including the check to the atf...
5. wait 3-5 months.....for stamp
6. engrave trust name and info on the gun / lower
7. assemble / take posession of the gun
8. profit??

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Get trust.  Buy lower.  Fill out paperwork.  E-file.  Wait 21 days.  Stamp.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't you have to work in engraving somewhere in there?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not if you have a trust IIRC
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I too picked up that gun trust from 199trust. I was going to do the SBR thing also. Ended up building a pistol and just used the sig brace to mimic the butt stock . Going to use the trust for a suppressor (eventually)...
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative.  You must engrave your SBR as well.  I left it out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you still have to get it engraved. I think.. You just put the name of the trust on the lower.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]
40 day wait to get mine back.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

really? only 21 days.  i figured it would be the usual 6 months.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not for Eforms.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
40 day wait to get mine back.
View Quote

E-file?

I thought those guys were moving faster or is that faster . Oh wait, .Gov ATF move fast , ha I made a funny.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Some folks like to have their lower engraved before sending off the paperwork.  If something happens to the lower during the engraving process or shipping it back and forth you'll have a nice stamp with no lower.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is what I have gathered:

Ever since efile for form 1's came back, they have increased their turnaround time significantly. They hired some more staff over at the ATF.

In regard to the trust, engraving is required if you are the manufacturer (form 1). But if you are buying a SBR (transfer) then you do not need to engrave.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Also, you don't need to list the "future" SBR on your trust.  Just put something tangible like $1 or $20, or a coffee mug.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some folks like to have their lower engraved before sending off the paperwork.  If something happens to the lower during the engraving process or shipping it back and forth you'll have a nice stamp with no lower.
View Quote

i was worried about that too..... a typo in the engraving, and the lower is ruined for the nfa item.... correct??
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Ever since efile for form 1's came back, they have increased their turnaround time significantly. They hired some more staff over at the ATF.

In regard to the trust, engraving is required if you are the manufacturer (form 1). But if you are buying a SBR (transfer) then you do not need to engrave.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're buying a factory SBR, you do not need to engrave, but at that point you're not doing a form 1 either.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Also, you don't need to list the "future" SBR on your trust.  Just put something tangible like $1 or $20, or a coffee mug.
View Quote

you dont NEED the gun / lower listed in your trust, when you file the eform?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you do not.

Whether or not you need anything in your trust to make it official is up to debate, I think it has a lot to do with state laws but most just put a dollar or something small inside the trust to begin with.

Edit*
I E-filed last tuesday, hopefully I filled everything out correctly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, because technically you can't make the SBR until you have the stamp.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

i was worried about that too..... a typo in the engraving, and the lower is ruined for the nfa item.... correct??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically, no, it's not ruined. You actually have a couple of options.

Option 1: Engrave the same lower a second time. If the error was the engraver's fault, make them do it gratis. Of course, your SBR now has enough engraving on it to be easily confused for a Ruger product.

Option 2: Write a letter to BATFE, notifying them that the SBR was never made, and that you are requesting a refund. The refund will take between 1-6 months, depending on how busy BATFE isand how quickly the Treasury cuts the check. Then, having learned your lesson, choose another lower, have it engraved, and, upon satisfaction it is done properly, submit a new Form 1 for that lower.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. You can obliterate that marking, and have the correct marking done. It isnt the serial number, so you're fine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#24]
whats the difference between building a sbr with a lower..... vs... buying a factory sbr???

i mean about the engraving..... and how you do the paperwork?   someone mentioned you dont do a form 1 on a factory sbr??
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's a visual guide to Form 1s thanks to BigWaylon. Link.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
whats the difference between building a sbr with a lower..... vs... buying a factory sbr???

i mean about the engraving..... and how you do the paperwork?   someone mentioned you dont do a form 1 on a factory sbr??
View Quote

Form 4?  Which means no e-file right?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Factory SBR is transferring an existing NFA item.  (form 4)

Form 1 creates an NFA item (as an individual or trust)

A FActory lower is already engraved with the manufacturers info.  When you sbr, you essentially become the NFA item manufacturer, so it needs to be engraved with your info.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

A Form 1 is an Application to Make and Register an NFA Firearm. A Form 4 is an Application for Tax-Paid Transfer of an NFA Firearm.

When a factory SBR is manufactured, the manufacturer engraves it with their information and files a Form 2. When they sell it, the SBR transfers on a Form 4, with no further engraving necessary.

When a non-FFL (or an FFL who is not a Type 07 FFL /Class 2 SOT) makes an SBR, they file a Form 1 and must engrave their name, city, and State, on the firearm, as is required of anybody who makes or manufactures an NFA firearm.

It's kind of important to know that the BATFE makes a big distinction between making and manufacturing. Making a firearm doesn't require an FFL, as the guns are made for personal use. Manufacturing requires an FFL, as the guns are being manufactured for commerce.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A FActory lower is already engraved with the manufacturers info.  When you sbr, you essentially become the NFA item manufacturer, so it needs to be engraved with your info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh. ok.. that makes sense... so if i buy a factory sbr... i just do the same process, EXCEPT its a form 4, instead of a form 1..... and no engraving. correct?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#30]
If you buy a factory SBR, then you would do a Form 4, as you would just be transferring a completed rifle.  If you"make" an SBR from a lower, that is when you use Form 1, since you are the one actually making the rifle,  No engraving needed on the factory, because the manufacturer/maker will have their mark on it.  Form 4 wait times are currently 5-6 months and Form  1 is about 1 month if you do it online through eforms.  Eforms is not working for Form 4 currently.  Visit the FAQ in the General Class 3 section of the Armory on this site.

Dang it, beat by 5 minutes
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#31]
im very seriously considering starting this process in a few days... by  sbring a rifle i already own most likely, as its the cheapest way for me to go at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you buy a factory SBR, then you would do a Form 4, as you would just be transferring a completed rifle.  If you"make" an SBR from a lower, that is when you use Form 1, since you are the one actually making the rifle,  No engraving needed on the factory, because the manufacturer/maker will have their mark on it.  Form 4 wait times are currently 5-6 months and Form  1 is about 1 month if you do it online through eforms.  Eforms is not working for Form 4 currently.  Visit the FAQ in the General Class 3 section of the Armory on this site.

Dang it, beat by 5 minutes
View Quote

OH ! !   i didnt know that......

yup.... if a reg lower is 21 days, and a sbr factory is 6 months.. ill damn sure go for the lower ! !
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Trusts don't trump federal law..

27 CFR 479.102 - How must firearms be identified?

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and

(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

(b) The depth of all markings required by this section will be measured from the flat surface of the metal and not the peaks or ridges. The height of serial numbers required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section will be measured as the distance between the latitudinal ends of the character impression bottoms (bases).

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Use someone who's engraved firearms and who has samples of their work, not "Uncle Billy-Bob's Bait Shop and SBR Engraving Serivicies".  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

oh. ok.. that makes sense... so if i buy a factory sbr... i just do the same process, EXCEPT its a form 4, instead of a form 1..... and no engraving. correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is the same process, as in sent $$ to ATF and wait.

One big difference is if you take an existing lower and SBR it, you can have possession of it.  You cannot put the short barrel on it until you have possession of the stamp.  (and requires engraving)

If you buy a factory SBR, you dealer will have to keep it until the stamp arrives.  (no additional engraving required)
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I would assemble and function test the lower before sending the Form 1 off for it.

The first lower I SBR'd I didn't assemble until I got the stamp back, then discovered the G_D lower was out of spec.    I sent it back to the manufacturer who destroyed and remade it with the same serial number.  But that added three months to the wait.  

After that experience, I engrave, assemble, function test, then send the Form 1 paperwork off.   I might even build it into a pistol while waiting for the stamp.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I always engraved mine before sending the stamp.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Why would you egrave the lower, when it is the upper that is the SBR part of the pair?

eta: serial # i get that part, but a lower is a lower.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#39]
So, with regard to this:

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm;

I am an AL resident stationed in MS.  I dont' have a trust yet.  Should my trust be from my home of record in AL?  When I engrave, should it be my trust location wherever that might be with regard to the first question? Or where I phsically made the NFA item?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#40]
E-file is 30-60 days right now so don't get the ants in your pants too excited at day 21
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I build the lower as a Title 1 gun, make sure it functions, then send it off to Ident and have it engraved on the right side above the pins.  You can send the whole lower to them and just take off the stock and take out the buffer and spring.

I also engrave it before the stamp comes back so I can cancel the stamp if it gets damaged/lost while engraving.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

no
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no

My Trust requires an assignment sheet for each item so I had to put that with the copy of the Trust when filing my form.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No you do not.

Whether or not you need anything in your trust to make it official is up to debate, I think it has a lot to do with state laws but most just put a dollar or something small inside the trust to begin with.

Edit*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you do not.

Edit*

My lawyer advised me to list whatever I was papering (form1 or form4) as an asset of the trust in "Schedule A" with the note "transfer (or build) pending" for items awaiting transfer or build. Once the stamp is received, take possession or build the item on behalf of the Trust and then strike the "pending" note out (single line) initial and date. The Trust can have assets without having possession. In any case it is important to document that the Trust actually owns the NFA item listed on your form 1 or 4.

If any of you do differently, that is fine. For me, I am following the advice of my Attorney (who is also an NFA collector).
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why would you egrave the lower, when it is the upper that is the SBR part of the pair?

eta: serial # i get that part, but a lower is a lower.
View Quote

Lower is a firearm.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#45]
If only there was an entire forum on this site devoted to this very subject...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
how does it work ?

iv got a trust thru gear hog... ( well i will when i tell them what to put on it, its already paid for)....

so, to START the paperwork for the sbr, i need what??

is this basically how it works??????

1. buy gun to sbr or lower..........

If you are going to Form 1 an existing lower, yes.  

Another option open to you is to buy an 80% lower (or a peice of aluminum bar stock) and fill out the Form 1 where your trust is the "original manufacturer", then finish it into a complete lower with all the proper NFA and GCA markings.  
What many people don't understand is that a Form 1 is an "Application to Make and Register a (NFA) Firearm".  This means you could file a Form 1 application to make a suppressor, SBR, or SBS and have none of those items on hand.  Some individuals (or trusts) file a Form 1 to make their own suppressor, they just have to wait until they receive the approved stamp before turning baffles and a tube on a lathe.

With an existing lower, you are "making" a Title II (NFA) Firearm from a Title I (GCA) Firearm.

Follow this guide for eForms, and follow this guide for paper Form 1 applications.

2. have trust..... LISTING the gun / lower and ser number....

When you are filing a Form 1 on an existing Title I Firearm, you can do this.  The Title I Firearm is property of the trust.  You will need to take care to add an assignment of property statement/amend your Schedule A/update whatever record keeping mechanism your trust uses to reflect the "new" Title II Firearm that has been "manufactured", and is now owned by, your trust.

Now if you were to Form 4 (Transfer) an SBR, you would need to have some other piece of property in your trust, as the item listed on the Form 4 would not be property of the trust until the trust is approved.

3. fill out atf paperwork....   listing gun / lower / serial number

See the links previously stated.

4. email / mail paperwork,...including the check to the atf...

If you eFile, they will accept a credit card.

Make sure you have good digital copies of your trust, the ATF will need all of that with the eForm.

5. wait 3-5 months.....for stamp

I filed a paper form in May and got my approval back in September, so it was just shy of four months for me.

Some eForm users have recently reported wait times ranging from as little as 2-3 weeks to 2 months.

6. engrave trust name and info on the gun / lower

Yes.  

"Trust name"
"City, State"

It is critical that you do this before assembling the SBR.  I engraved mine while the stamp was pending.

7. assemble / take posession of the gun

As long as the Form comes back with approval and that $200 stamp, you're good to go.

8. profit??

I don't know what you'd stand to profit from.  Most people who are looking to buy an SBR will either Form 4 it from a dealer, or just go through the trouble of doing the Form 1/engraving themselves.  I don't know anyone who would want to buy someone else's Form 1ed lower.

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top