Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2010 5:53:01 PM EDT
Hey alls, I have a little female friend thats joining up with the coast guard, like most women shes not exactly a example of physical fitness
aside from getting her up to step on swimming in general, What kind of swim test is she looking forward to? if i could get a step by step that would be great, i have at least 5 weeks and was wondering what i should focus on helping her train.
would like to see her get in and do our country proud.
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a squid, not a puddle pirate, but here's a copy of the requirements from their site:  

Women will be expected to perform:

• 15 push-ups in 60 seconds

• 32 sit-ups in 60 seconds

• Run 1.5 miles in under 15:26

• Sit and reach 19.29"

• Complete a swim circuit

• Tread water for 5 minutes

• Jump off a 5-foot platform and swim 100 meters

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#2]
It's ok. We'll take her. She just won't leave boot till she passes the swim.
Basically, tell her to get her ass in the back of the line if she can't swim very well. You'll jump in the pool and tread water till your whole class is in the pool, one person at a time off the 5ft (or whatever it is, I remember it being higher) platform.  Once you're all in the water together they tell you to swim to and line up on a cone at the side of the pool. Ready? set, go.  swime the entire pool, all four sides without touching the sides or the bottom and you pass.  It really is not all that hard. You can swim in any position you like, as long as you make it.  

I wouldn't worry about the physical fitness part of it for her. They'll whip her into shape, regardless of all the shit the other services give us.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
checking the website, hey theres a concept that works
seriously thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm a squid, not a puddle pirate, but here's a copy of the requirements from their site:  

• Sit and reach 19.29"

what distance is a circut? im assuming 100 or 200 yards?
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's ok. We'll take her. She just won't leave boot till she passes the swim.

Basically, tell her to get her ass in the back of the line if she can't swim very well. You'll jump in the pool and tread water till your whole class is in the pool, one person at a time off the 5ft (or whatever it is, I remember it being higher) platform.  Once you're all in the water together they tell you to swim to and line up on a cone at the side of the pool. Ready? set, go.  swime the entire pool, all four sides without touching the sides or the bottom and you pass.  It really is not all that hard. You can swim in any position you like, as long as you make it.  

I wouldn't worry about the physical fitness part of it for her. They'll whip her into shape, regardless of all the shit the other services give us.

haha thanks for the info, realy shes not much of a swimmer, i have to teach her some basics and water confidence, but shes a quick learner and i think i can get her up to speed.
the entry requirements dont sound to bad, we well be in a pool soon to test some of those.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

• Sit and reach 19.29"

Both sides the pool and both endzones.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

• Sit and reach 19.29"

Both sides the pool and both endzones.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I loved the swimming test when I went into the Navy, especially since I was a certified lifeguard prior to going in.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]
haha nice, yeah ive been a surfer my entire life, i could do that swimming test standing on my head, her on the other hand, she didnt grow up swimming like me, so alot to learn.
as long as shes confident in her self in the water, i think she well do fine.
at half of my size if she can out eat me, she can do anything
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I loved the swimming test when I went into the Navy, especially since I was a certified lifeguard prior to going in.

Me too.  I've swam my PRT's for the last 12 years.  lol, the last one I ran for score was in A school.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top