Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 4/8/2002 5:30:17 PM EST
around how much does it cost to get just a regular fixed wing pilots license? how much time is required approx.? how about the extra for a rotary wing? im interested but EXTREMELY new to this... thanks
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:41:10 PM EST
It depends on a lot of factors... The minimum flight time is 40 hours for a private pilot certificate. I would plan on at least 50 hours. A Cessna 172 will cost between $80 and $100 per hour to rent. Of course, you will also need to hire an instructor at $25 to $35 per hour. I would plan on at least $5000...maybe as much as $6000 depending on how fast your learn. It may sound like a lot but it is worth every penny... I sold my .30 cal browning to pay for my instrument rating .... it cost me $6000. Any more questions just ask...I'm working on my commercial rating now...
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:49:41 PM EST
SkaerE It varies tremendously depending on where you get your training. I got my private license in AZ in 1979, it cost me $1700 - today the same license here will cost between 3500 and 5000 depending on your skills. Brasco is right, 40 hrs is the min - but not a reasonable time, it took me 48 hrs. Flying is an extremely expensive hobby ,(if you think AR's get pricey - try flying). I now build and fly sport aerobatic planes, if you're gonna fly "Do It Upside Down". Terry
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:53:15 PM EST
Brasco's got the numbers right. It's an expensive hobby. I think I got my Private Pilots license at around 60 hours. Went on to get instrument as well. Over $10 Grand for the two, and lotsa lotsa work on the instrument rating. I looked into the chopper thing, and its pretty high rent, $150 per hour plus $35-$50 per hour for an instructor. The downside to this is that you are unlikely to find anyone willing to rent you a copter after you get your rating.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:57:44 PM EST
Greetings from a full-time Flight Instructor. Brasco is right on regarding the minimums and the amount of time it would likely take. Our Cessna 152 goes for $56/hr + $28 for the instructor, so $84/hr total. So no less than $3360. Add 10-20 hours of ground instruction, an $80 written exam, a $200 practical test fee, an $80 medical exam and various books and supplies. You're guaranteed to spend at least 4K on it. Fly at least twice a week to make the most rapid progress. Try [url]www.beapilot.com[/url] to get a feel for the process. And stick with it. You will be humbled, uplifted, frustrated, and exultant - perhaps all within the same hour. It doesn't come easy nor quick, but it is truly a character building experience. The airport can even be something of a social hub in many people's lives. Above all, go for it! As for the rotary wing add-on, I'll have to do a bit of research to dredge up the time requirements. Budget a Robinson 22 going for twice what a C150 rents for.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:58:01 PM EST
It cost me around $3500 in the late 80's for my private ticket.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:46:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/8/2002 6:50:55 PM EST by AeroE]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:14:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/8/2002 7:20:33 PM EST by AZ_Sky]
AeroE says - "Flying for some of us is not an option, it's a necessary part of life - a source of sanity." My God! I couldn't have said it any better. Once you've been there - you'll know the feeling! And life will never be the same... Terry
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:38:17 PM EST
Civilian flying varies widely in price. A great way that I know of to fly more cheaply (it will always be expensive) is to join Civil Air Patrol, the USAF Auxiliary. They do search and rescue, have a cadet program etc and have one of the largest fleets of bug smashers in the US, plus all of the instruction is done "not for hire" i.e. free--you only pay time on the aircraft. As a cadet in the early to mid 1990s I soloed at 16 in a week for about $200.00 (including room and board). You can't beat that anywhere. Now, the taxpayers pay for all of my flying in the USAF. You may want to consider gliders...they are fun but the fully acrobatic birds are STEEP. I taught them as a cadet at the Air Force Academy until I graduated a year ago. They are a lot of fun and really help you to understand the fundamentals...besides 6 planes in a thermal is damn cool. Now I am in USAF pilot training here in Mississippi. Nothing beats pulling G's, spinning, flying formation and low levels for free. The Air Force paid for most of us to get our PPL (private's license) prior to starting pilot training. Out in CO, I think that they paid something like 3-4G per Lt. Good luck in any case. Beware though, I find most civilian flying operations a little shady to say the least. They are after the all mighty dollar whereas the AF is more safety conscious. Do whatever it takes to keep your pink body warm. Don't accept an aircraft if you have any doubt as to its suitability or condition. Best of luck, Rich
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:03:40 PM EST
If you can afford it... do it! And, never look back. I stopped flying after getting my commercial ticket and several ratings. It took me many years to get over the fact that I didn't stay with it. I began with sailplanes, so was able to solo powered aircraft with just a little over 5 hours in dual time. Flew aerobatics for awhile... is a real treat!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:24:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By Webb: A great way that I know of to fly more cheaply (it will always be expensive) is to join Civil Air Patrol, the USAF Auxiliary. They do search and rescue, have a cadet program etc and have one of the largest fleets of bug smashers in the US, plus all of the instruction is done "not for hire" i.e. free--you only pay time on the aircraft. ...
View Quote
All true, but Seniors (over 19?) are not offered intial training, you must have a Private rating to get near a CAP AC as a pilot. You can train for other flight crew postions though. The "not for hire" training also comes with a caveat. It's available if there is a CFI in your squadron who is willing. If so, you can work on your instrument or other advanced rating in a CAP AC, but not a PP rating. The instructors time is donated and you basically only pay fuel costs for the AC. The reimbursement rate on my squadrons 182 is $25/Hr, but there are dues and other costs that help pay for the planes. Once you get the form 5 checkout (basically the same a PP checkride), you can fly for minimal cost, sometimes even free for mission training. It is absolutely the cheapest flying you are likely to find. That said, there a lot of hoops to jump through and rules to follow that kill some of the joy and eliminate the utility of flying in a CAP AC.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:06:52 AM EST
SkaerE, Everyone here has the costs and time requirement down about right...which leads me to believe I am an oldtimer remembering $30/hour 152's. But remember to put it all into perspective. When you go to rent an airplane, after you have earned your private license, you are only paying for the time the meter is running. For instance, out here in CA, you can rent your 172 and take your date out to Catalina Island for the day, for about $140 bucks or so. Now, if you get stupid, and decide to fly for the airlines because you got this nasty disease of flying fever, be prepared to dish out all of your life savings, max out the cards, and give up 80% of your yearly earnings while you pay your dues. ...and I wouldn't trade it for any other job. - Anarki
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:43:16 AM EST
If you are looking for the rotary wing ticket, you can get it in 40hrs right off the bat. It is much more expensive but not as much as "wasting" the time/money on the fixed wing ticket. I would advise staying away from the CAP for training. From my experience the military aspect is too much extra for a novice pilot. In aviation you do get what you pay for in a relative sense. The cheapest way is not the way you want to go. Like avoiding the low bidder, avoid the "cut rate" schools. Try to find an instructor with real time not just a time builder. They are rare but it is possible to find them. Also, avoid guys with nothing but military experience. Military is great, but we get a lot of overconfident ones in the private arena who end up dead. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:12:51 AM EST
It was $35/hr for the Piper Tomahawk and $15/hr for an instructor when I got my license in 1988. I was lucky enough to do it in 40.2 hours. My instructor hardly ever charged me for ground time so my actual cost for flying & instruction was under $2,000 (not counting ground school, written exam & checkride). It worked best for me to fly 2 to 3 times per week. I got mine license in about 3 months. I think that was key in getting mine right at 40 hours. You'll never regret it. You won't believe the feeling of freedom after you get used to flying without an instructor.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:21:33 AM EST
If you have some investment money you may be able to purchase an aircraft with a fresh annual, cram on your instruction, and resell the aircraft possibly with a profit (I've seen it done more than once). Go with the Cessna 150 or the Piper Tomahawk, both are good trainers, the Tomahawk is a great keeper for after you have a license. I have over 1000hrs in 'hatchets and am an A&P mechanic with an inspection authorization. Ask and ye shall receive. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:04:24 PM EST
There is always the recreational pilot license as well. It would be cheaper but limits where you can go, and how far you can go. Not sure what the specifics are, but its something else to check into... Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Top Top