Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2005 1:21:29 PM EDT
what are your dietary laws like? are they the same as orthodox? do you keep kosher? Also, if you don't mind, If any of you converted could you describe the conversion process?

Thank You very much,

Mike
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]
As a conservative Jew, I find most of the Reform Jews I know do not keep Kosher homes. Some on this very forum would argue that, if you had been born a Jew, that any other movement within Judaism that is not Traditional/Orthodox, isn't Juadaism at all...to the Orthodox: as a conservative Jew, I am not "observant" to the letter of the law...sorry, I digress.

To that end, I recommend a light introduction at: http://www.jewfaq.org/index.htm

The process to conversion is difficult and needs to been done correctly...to test your inner heart and depth of desire to be truely Jewish...

L'Shanah Tovah (Happy NewYear 5766)
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a good site too:  http://www.beingjewish.com/conversion/becomingjewish.html
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The dietary laws are independant of reform, orthodox, conservative.

If you keep kosher, you keep kosher.

I would agree that there is a much higher percentage of observence amongst orthodox, and lowest in reform.

There was a discussion on conversion here.  The thread got a little heated, but the info is good.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what are your dietary laws like? are they the same as orthodox? do you keep kosher? Also, if you don't mind, If any of you converted could you describe the conversion process?

Thank You very much,

Mike

___

Hi Mike,

fish223 is correct, you either observe kashrut or not.

Anyway, I converted to Judaism 12 years years ago. Over the course of the year were courses by my rabbi, independant study (acquired a great start on my Jewish texts this way!). It was a long, interesting, and ultimately very fulfilling spiritual journey. Luckilly, I had been circumcised as an infant, though was still required to undergo the ceremonial Hatafat Dam Brit , which involved a small amount of blood from a scratch.  A Beitdine was held, whereby this Jewish Court composed of members of my synogogue asked questions of me...of my knowledge of Judaism, and of my wish to cast my lot with the Jewish people.  Then the ceremony of tevillah, which is immersion in a ritual bath called a mikveh.

I chose my new name by which I would be known in my community, as was the first public conversion in the synogogue (we were a new synogogue way back then).

The following is a site that offers a good overview of the process:

http://www.convert.org/process.htm

B'Shalom,

Ed
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
thank you for all your answers.  Reform is the only choice that I have where I live (not that it's a bad choice; just that it's the only temple in my vicinity) Thanks again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top