Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2003 9:42:20 AM EDT
I got a speeding ticket, and it has a court date on it (the officer gave me this copy) . I thought they sent you another copy of your ticket with the amount you have to pay along with a address you have to send it to?

Its been a month and the ticket hasn't shown up in the mail the court date is in about 15 days, so I am just wondering what I should do?

I'm in CA if that makes a difference?

don't want to get arrested for something stupid like this.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The officer should have explained your options better to you, and I am in NY, so I cannot offer you any definitive advice. I would say that at least you should go to court on your scheduled date. You might be able to call the court for some basic instructions ahead of time, but larger city courts may not have the time to field a lot of questions from cited drivers.
Here in NY you dont get any advisement as to fine amounts  until you go to court.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Here in Ohio, we give you a copy of the ticket that has the court date on it. You can go to court before and pay the fine, or you can appear in court and plead. I don't have a clue if it's the same there.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You may try to contact the city or county court that the ticket was issued for and ask for a bond amount(fine amount)and mailing info.
Call infomation for the city or county listed on the ticket and go from there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Just go to court on the date the cop wrote in.  There you will plead guilty and pay the fine, or if available you can go to traffic school if you haven't had another moving violation within the last 18 months.  

If you plead not guilty here in CA, then a trial date will be set up and that's when the cop gets a subpoena and you fight it out in court with the cop.

If he got you on radar, chances are the judge will 99.9% of the time rule in favor of the cop.  I don't know if that's a California thing or what.

If the cop paced you and gave you a ticket, here are some things you should do if you want to fight it:

When you plead not guilty and the court issues a subpoena for the cop, make sure your instructions state something to the effect of: subpoena officer's vehicle speedometer calibration certificate, subpoena officer's log for the day of the citation (this is to see what vehicle the officer was assigned to); subpoena the posted "traffic survey" report with the officer.  That is usually used only for radar tickets, but if the cop doesn't bring all the stuff you requested, you may claim that your case be dropped.

Chances are that the cop may not show up in court if he sees all the stuff you are subpoenaing for a simple little infraction.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:52:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Flip the ticket over. In Illinois there is the number for the clerk of the court on the back. Call them and give them the ticket number. They can provide the court date.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to the local court in the same county or call and check.  They can tell you.  My wife got a fixit and everything was fixed and signed of a few weeks before it even showed up on the system.  They were running about 4-5 weeks behind at the time.  The Clerk was able to get it properly annotated.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
in ca the court date on the ticket sometimes just means the date you have to come in and see the clerk and plead it out or tell them you wnat to fight ticket and then get the 'real' court date where the officer will show up.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]
have you resolved the situation yet?  the local contact is probably the best advice!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Chances are that the cop may not show up in court if he sees all the stuff you are subpoenaing for a simple little infraction.

Good luck.
View Quote

Here in TX, we have to show up.
If we don't, we get fined for contemt. If we show up, we get paid for our time. You do the math. I've been writing tickets for four years. I've never been fined.[:)]
Good luck 1911greg.
SK
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.
View Quote

Here in TX, we have to show up.
If we don't, we get fined for contemt. If we show up, we get paid for our time. You do the math. I've been writing tickets for four years. I've never been fined.[:)]
Good luck 1911greg.
SK
View Quote

That the fact Jack!

c sends
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Here in WA they normally write the amount on the ticket. Last time however, for crossing the centerline, he did not write an amount. Im fighting it anyway, so its not important.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Weird. Here you just mail in your fine unless you are contesting it. In which case just call (or visit) the clerk and tell em you want a jury trial (rolleyes). Then they give you a real court date. I always liked people to contest tickets because I got time and a half for court time and I can't remember ever losing a case. Go figure. Get paid for having fun...

I think they still give you 30 days to do something about the ticket, ie. pay it or contest it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:08:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here in WA they normally write the amount on the ticket. Last time however, for crossing the centerline, he did not write an amount. Im fighting it anyway, so its not important.
View Quote
FWIW it is a $101 infraction.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#14]
[blue]Hk45 is close.  Some counties in CA may differ slightly.  There is a court date at the bottom.  There may even be some instructions printed on the back of your copy of the citation.
Generally the court will mail you a fine amount, and explain the process if you want to dispute to ticket.  Make sure your current mailing address is on the citation so the court notice finds you.  If you want to dispute the citation, then appear at the court date on the cite to plead not-guilty and request a court trial.  You will be ordered to appear at another date, and the issuing officer will be subpoenaed.  If you want to pay it, then pay the bail amount through the mail when you get the notice.  If you want to go to traffic school, then call the courthouse and see if you are eligible before appearing in court.  In our county, if you ask for traffic court at the court trial, the judge will not allow it.[/blue]
[u]Quoted:
Chances are that the cop may not show up in court if he sees all the stuff you are subpoenaing for a simple little infraction.[/u]
View Quote
[blue]  Are you kidding?  Most of us love challenges once in a while.  If my citations are dismissed by the judges through a fair trial process I don't take it personal.  After all, if I made a mistake that would void my cite, then the cite shouldn't stand.  I would even dismiss the cite if I found out before court.[/blue]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
FWIW it is a $101 infraction.
View Quote

Everything is $101 dollars these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top