Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2012 1:54:57 PM EDT
I have a hunting camp where there is a power meter set with a hook up for a camper.

Today I was looking around the breaker box, (it looks like GE and its about 10-15 years old modern style)

It appears that there is no ground wire coming out of the box to earth ground.

This was installed way before I owned it so I'm just thinking I'd like to fix this if it needs fixing.

would the right thing to do be to drive a copper rod deep into the earth with a bare wire going to the ground bus in the box?

This box is mounted to a light pole and it all sets outdoors.

There is a buried 30 am circuit going over to where the camper is parked and a single outdoor sytle outlet box and thats about it.

the setup looks similar to this

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
There SHOULD be a ground at the meter pole.  You have an under ground  service, if there are 4 wires in this bundle, you should have a ground.  Two lines, a neutral and ground.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes you should have a ground wire at the pole.  Go to a hardware or electrical supply and buy a ground rod, a clamp and enough copperweld to reach from the box to the stake.  

Pound the stake into the ground until about 2 inches are left.  Attach your clamp to the rod.  Run the copperweld from the box to the stake.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yes you should have a ground wire at the pole.  Go to a hardware or electrical supply and buy a ground rod, a clamp and enough copperweld to reach from the box to the stake.  

Pound the stake into the ground until about 2 inches are left.  Attach your clamp to the rod.  Run the copperweld from the box to the stake.

You better put that clamp on the rod before you start pounding that thing into the ground or else you'll be trying to figure how to pull it back out. And make sure you're in solid ground, not fill.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You better put that clamp on the rod before you start pounding that thing into the ground or else you'll be trying to figure how to pull it back out. And make sure you're in solid ground, not fill.

oh, yeah, the rod would tend to get flattened out on top

I see what you mean.  I'm going to pick up an 8 ft rod and some copper weld wire and take care of this.

I love finding crap like this that other people half-assed
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The last clamp I put on was a 2 piece job.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#6]
And make sure the rod is outside the drip line where it can get some water.  Besides soil composition, moisture has the greatest effect on grounding resistance, moisture makes it lower and you want it as low as possible.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top