Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2010 5:46:11 PM EDT
Been thinking about picking one up.  Dealer about an hour away has a 2004 950 adventure with 30k they are asking 4999 for.  Too much?  Should i stay away from a ktm with that many miles?  Or should i go get it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:11:29 PM EDT
That's not a lot of miles for a 950 Adventure as long as it has been maintained and has had all of the "little things" fixed (which at 30K were probably already done).
Check out Adventure Rider, the Orange Crush forum, register an account and ask away.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:23:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KA3B:
That's not a lot of miles for a 950 Adventure as long as it has been maintained and has had all of the "little things" fixed (which at 30K were probably already done).
Check out Adventure Rider, the Orange Crush forum, register an account and ask away.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

I havent gone and looked at it yet, but it seems pretty damn clean from the pictures.  didnt really think that was alot of miles but i dont know much about ktms in general.  Never occured to me to check advrider.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:33:17 AM EDT
You're looking at a top of the line bike, you can expect to pay a bit more for KTM vs. "competitive" models.

I know jack shit about the 950, but my 530 was a fucking madman. KTM will not disappoint, you just have to pay for it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:37:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DuraToTheMax:
You're looking at a top of the line bike, you can expect to pay a bit more for KTM vs. "competitive" models.

I know jack shit about the 950, but my 530 was a fucking madman. KTM will not disappoint, you just have to pay for it.

Im well aware ktm is more expensive and more better, i was just wondering about the price.  After browsing advrider, either everyone there is on crack or this is a fairly good deal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:40:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By EFB16ACRX:

Im well aware ktm is more expensive and more better, i was just wondering about the price.  After browsing advrider, either everyone there is on crack or this is a fairly good deal.

Well the 950 is a bad motherfucker, and adv is usually pretty reliable.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:16:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By EFB16ACRX:

Well the 950 is a bad motherfucker, and adv is usually pretty reliable.

yeah i kind of have motorcycle ADD so hopefully ill own it longer than 2 months if i buy it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:19:25 AM EDT
the 950 (2004) is carb'ed. Much better than the 990 (EFI).
That said, your fuel mileage will be less than EFI

it is a great bike and 30K the only things you need to watch out for is the fuel pump, water pump seal, and thats the PITA stuff.

I will say this.... I hope you know how to turn a wrench, 'cause even routine maint. on that bike is a royal PITA, and I mean ROYAL.
You might as well drop the engine to adj. the valves. That back cylinder is a BITCH to get to.

The finish on the tanks has a tendency to peel off and break off.

Other than that, the Kool Aide is STRONG with a 950/990

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:44:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TruckinAR:
the only things you need to watch out for is the fuel pump, water pump seal, and thats the PITA stuff.

It seems like a good deal. If you buy it, replace the water pump seal and fuel pump and you won't have to worry about it. You do have to be good with a wrench to own pretty much any KTM. I'm on my 4th and love them, although none of them was a 950 (although I've ridden a few and they are awesome).
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:24:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Gabriel:
the only things you need to watch out for is the fuel pump, water pump seal, and thats the PITA stuff.

It seems like a good deal. If you buy it, replace the water pump seal and fuel pump and you won't have to worry about it. You do have to be good with a wrench to own pretty much any KTM. I'm on my 4th and love them, although none of them was a 950 (although I've ridden a few and they are awesome).

that part i kinda figured.  Waiting on a check to come in then im pretty sure im going to pick it up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:53:21 AM EDT

the 950 (2004) is carb'ed. Much better than the 990 (EFI).

That said, your fuel mileage will be less than EFI

it is a great bike and 30K the only things you need to watch out for is the fuel pump, water pump seal, and thats the PITA stuff.

I will say this.... I hope you know how to turn a wrench, 'cause even routine maint. on that bike is a royal PITA, and I mean ROYAL.

You might as well drop the engine to adj. the valves. That back cylinder is a BITCH to get to.

The finish on the tanks has a tendency to peel off and break off.

Other than that, the Kool Aide is STRONG with a 950/990

So other than a laundry list of known issues, and the fact that it's a pain in the ass to work on, it's great.

Seriously, they're a fucking blast (rode a 950) and it's a great adventure bike with gobs of usable power but buyer's remorse is as strong a flavor as the kool aid, there are a lot of them for sale....probably because they have niggling issues and are a pain in the arse to maintain.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:57:47 PM EDT
I say that at 30K most of the known issues of the 950 have been corrected or else they are not going to be a problem.

I say buy it, you only live once.  
Top Top