Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/13/2008 7:07:52 PM EDT
Stopped in the local dealer to pick up a few oil filters for the v-strom I just got & low & behold, there is the bike I've wanted since 1985.  A new (er) V-max. Last year they made them, 5400 miles black w/ a subdued flame job. Custom seat & aftermarket pipes. $8995.

Now, I just got back into motorcycles & I didn't have a hell of alot of experience before. I realize this is a bad idea but holy hell this thing is nice.

I should not do this.

I really like the v-strom, hell of a bike. Seems to do everything well & has plenty of HP for everything I need it to do but damn......
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Stopped in the local dealer to pick up a few oil filters for the v-strom I just got & low & behold, there is the bike I've wanted since 1985.  A new (er) V-max. Last year they made them, 5400 miles black w/ a subdued flame job. Custom seat & aftermarket pipes. $8995.

Now, I just got back into motorcycles & I didn't have a hell of alot of experience before. I realize this is a bad idea but holy hell this thing is nice.

I should not do this.

I really like the v-strom, hell of a bike. Seems to do everything well & has plenty of HP for everything I need it to do but damn......

But this is not 1985 anymore.

The V-Max puts out roughly the same horsepower as a current 600 Supersport and weighs around 700 pounds.

It's carbureted, has shaft drive, a 5-speed transmission, a willowy tubular steel cradle-type frame, odd-ball sized wheels with bias-ply tires, flaccid suspension, nearly 30 degrees of rake, and a wheelbase of almost 63".

It was an entertaining motorcycle 25 years ago, but motorcycle safety has improved  HUGELY since then.

The SV1000 (direct relative to the V-Strom 1000) puts out the same horsepower, but is fuel injected, chain drive, with a 6-speed transmission, an aluminum trellis frame, standard-sized 17" wheels with modern performance radial tires, fully adjustable suspension, responsive steering geometry, a wheelbase of 56", and it weighs almost 200 pounds less.

Plus, you can buy a brand new one at list price for less money than your dealer wants for the used V-Max.

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I too have wanted one since I was a kid
saw one do a big ass burnout one night when I was about 10 and it wrapped my fragile little mind

but I however kinda agree with Kirk mainly from just the stand point of is that they are too damn expensive for what ya get when they were new and the used ones if you find a nice one are priced so high it is retarded
as except for brakes a few other tweaks it is the same bike as a 85
I think MSRP on a 2007 which was the last years was around 13K and I personally think all  the flamed special edition Yamahas look gay

I still want a yellow one bad though
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]
There are vastly better bikes for less money, but I don't think anyone bought a Vmax because it was the best handler. It was a cool bike, people like them, viola.

That said, I sure as hell wouldn't give up a very versatile and bulletproof Vstrom for a Vmax.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
"The last year they made them"? ...2007 in the original configuration. There is a 2009 model coming out too, but it has been changed quite a bit.
What year is the one you are looking at?

Here is mine: its a 1997 model, in near mint condition.
And I LOVE it.
I didn't buy it for its handling...I bought it for it's power, looks, and originality.
I get all sorts of comments, and compliments when I take it to bike events.

Of course it doesn't handle like a sport bike...It's NOT a sport bike, it's the original "Power Cruiser".  (And NOT a copy of a Harley, like most cruisers nowdays)  
It is; however, very easy to drive, rides nice, and is PLENTY fast.
The high speed wobble people speak of so often when talking of the V MAX is not so bad. You just have to know your' bike.

These motors are bullet proof, and there are lots of mods available for them.

If you are looking for a bike to get twisty with in the corners...A VMAX is not the bike for you, but if you are looking for a nice, powerful cruiser that doesn't look like every other bike on the market...Then it just might be.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"The last year they made them"? ...2007 in the original configuration. There is a 2009 model coming out too, but it has been changed quite a bit.
What year is the one you are looking at?

Here is mine: its a 1997 model, in near mint condition.
And I LOVE it.
I didn't buy it for its handling...I bought it for it's power, looks, and originality.
I get all sorts of comments, and compliments when I take it to bike events.

Of course it doesn't handle like a sport bike...It's NOT a sport bike, it's the original "Power Cruiser".  (And NOT a copy of a Harley, like most cruisers nowdays)  
It is; however, very easy to drive, rides nice, and is PLENTY fast.
The high speed wobble people speak of so often when talking of the V MAX is not so bad. You just have to know your' bike.

These motors are bullet proof, and there are lots of mods available for them.

If you are looking for a bike to get twisty with in the corners...A VMAX is not the bike for you, but if you are looking for a nice, powerful cruiser that doesn't look like every other bike on the market...Then it just might be.

Motorcycling is a sport, not a hobby.  The difference is, that a sport can kill you.  

There are only three things a motorcycle can do: stop, turn, and go.  The V-Max goes okay, but it doesn't stop as well as a modern Sport Standard, and it's inability to change directions with any semblence of competency is simply unacceptable on public roads.  

When you select a firearm, you do so with the thought that some day, your life may depend on your choice.  With a road-going motorcycle, your life WILL depend on it every day.  

For these reasons, "Looks" should never be a decision-making criteria for selecting a motorcycle.  If your idea of stylish comes from 1985, you can buy your clothes from Goodwill- it would be a lot safer than riding a Cruiser that hasn't evolved in the last quarter of a century.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:  

There are only three things a motorcycle can do: stop, turn, and go.  The V-Max goes okay, but it doesn't stop as well as a modern Sport Standard, and it's inability to change directions with any semblence of competency is simply unacceptable on public roads.

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:  

Bullshit.

So are you saying that it's inability to change directions with any semblence of competency IS acceptable on public roads, or are you saying that it changes directions with some semblence of competency?

Dude, I've ridden them.  They feel like a Harley Sporster with a Suzuki SV1000 engine swap.  It's like a 700 pound 110 horsepower piece of lasagna with a (bias-ply) tire at each end.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Motorcycling is a sport, not a hobby.

When you select a firearm, you do so with the thought that some day, your life may depend on your choice.

These two quotes sum up your neuroses. You are unable, and unwilling, to see through the eyes of others. It's called narcissistic personality disorder. If it helps, Hitler was said to possess these qualities....so we have some work to do, yes?

You think that motorcycling is only viable when it represents your wants, your interests, and agrees generally with your specific viewpoint or tastes. It is NOT a sport to many. It is transportation, it is pure fun (hobby), it is a lifestyle, whatever. For you, track master, it's a sport. Fine, we get it, but stop projecting. I don't see it as a sport. I don't compete, I don't ride to the fullest of my bike. I just go places and see neat things. Others just cruise, some travel, some drag race. We can all have different wants, and those wants don't need to be changed or berated. We like what we like, sometimes with no other rational than "That's cool, I want one". It's why people collect old bikes, which are limited. It's why people like customs or choppers, which are as much art as bike.

As to the second point, again, you're seeing things solely from a narrow viewpoint. Many firearms are bought with no intention whatsoever of defending yourself. A 10/22, a trap gun, a benchrest rifle, etc. This, again, is your inability to see outside of your bubble. Perhaps your leathers are too tight?

A good psychiatrist would tell you to practice empathy, and maybe give you a mantra or a phrase to repeat in situations like this. Here, let me help:

Whenever a motorcycle thread appears, and mentions something that's not low-slung and built for a race track, say this to yourself "My interests are not everyone's interests" or "I'm not special", or perhaps "Everyone rides different bikes for different reasons".

Remember, baby steps. We're all praying for you.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:  

Bullshit.

Dude, I've ridden them.  They feel like a Harley Sporster with a Suzuki SV1000 engine swap.  It's like a 700 pound 110 horsepower piece of lasagna with a (bias-ply) tire at each end.

Dude...I ride one every day.
I don't know about the one you rode, but mine weighs just under 600lbs full of fuel, and dynos at 146...And, it has radial tires.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:  

Bullshit.

Dude...I ride one every day.
I don't know about the one you rode, but mine weighs just under 600lbs full of fuel, and dynos at 146...And, it has radial tires.

I find that hard to believe.  Do you have any evidence of weighing your bike on a scale, a dyno print-out, and the tire information?

The V-Max has always come with bias-ply tires, and from the pictures of your bike, it looks like it still has it's original equipment Dunlop F20 110/90-18 bias-ply front tire, and a Dunlop K525 150/90-15 bias-ply rear tire.

www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_category.asp?id=8

www.jcmotors.com/pm-9964-43-dunlop-f20k525-qualifier-yamaha-v-max-tire.aspx
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you select a firearm, you do so with the thought that some day, your life may depend on your choice.

These two quotes sum up your neuroses. You are unable, and unwilling, to see through the eyes of others. It's called narcissistic personality disorder. If it helps, Hitler was said to possess these qualities....so we have some work to do, yes?

You think that motorcycling is only viable when it represents your wants, your interests, and agrees generally with your specific viewpoint or tastes. It is NOT a sport to many. It is transportation, it is pure fun (hobby), it is a lifestyle, whatever. For you, track master, it's a sport. Fine, we get it, but stop projecting. I don't see it as a sport. I don't compete, I don't ride to the fullest of my bike. I just go places and see neat things. Others just cruise, some travel, some drag race. We can all have different wants, and those wants don't need to be changed or berated. We like what we like, sometimes with no other rational than "That's cool, I want one". It's why people collect old bikes, which are limited. It's why people like customs or choppers, which are as much art as bike.

As to the second point, again, you're seeing things solely from a narrow viewpoint. Many firearms are bought with no intention whatsoever of defending yourself. A 10/22, a trap gun, a benchrest rifle, etc. This, again, is your inability to see outside of your bubble. Perhaps your leathers are too tight?

A good psychiatrist would tell you to practice empathy, and maybe give you a mantra or a phrase to repeat in situations like this. Here, let me help:

Whenever a motorcycle thread appears, and mentions something that's not low-slung and built for a race track, say this to yourself "My interests are not everyone's interests" or "I'm not special", or perhaps "Everyone rides different bikes for different reasons".

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So are you saying that it's inability to change directions with any semblence of competency IS acceptable on public roads, or are you saying that it changes directions with some semblence of competency?

I'm saying the bike handles just fine for what it is, and what I expect of it.
I know what my bike can, and can't do...and I ride accordingly.
Implying that it is "unacceptable on public roads" because it does not handle like the bike in your avatar is ridiculous.

Quoted:

I find that hard to believe. Do you have any evidence of weighing your bike on a scale, a dyno print-out, and the tire information?

He...No, I don't have any of those things on me.
I guess I'm just not that ate up with it.
But, a quick trip to Yamaha's website will surely show the weight/size specifications.

A friend of mine owns a performance cycle shop (He is a knee dragger, like you). He races Suzukis, and is a Suzuki fanatic....And, he happens to LOVE my VMAX.
He likes working on it, and is always bugging me to let him do some performance modifications on it.
About 2 years ago, we put a mild jet kit in my bike (back when I had a wild hare up my ass to supe it up a little, but then changed my mind).
After the jet kit, we put it on his dyno...It topped out at 146hp @ 9,000rpm with 80-something lbs of torque.
I don't know what its HP was before the kit, as it was never on a dyno before that, but there was not a very noticeable change as to the way it felt on the road.

BTW, the Japan only version of the VMAX was rated at around 100hp...It does not have V-boost, and is not tuned the same.

Quoted:

The V-Max has always come with bias-ply tires, and from the pictures of your bike, it looks like it has a Dunlop F20 110/90-18 bias-ply front tire, and a Dunlop K525 150/90-15 bias-ply rear tire.

On the tire issue...I do stand corrected.
You are correct, my tires ARE, in fact bias ply.
They are not the ones in the picture, though...My friend "upgraded" the tires for me (I assumed he meant he would be putting radials on it) but it seems there are no 15" radial motorcycle tires on the market.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 2:48:00 AM EDT
[#13]
That's gonna leave a mark.  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:13:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm saying the bike handles just fine for what it is, and what I expect of it.
I know what my bike can, and can't do...and I ride accordingly.

That statement communicates that you already know that your bike makes some significant compromises, and that you know that there are much more suitable tools available for the job.

Implying that it is "unacceptable on public roads" because it does not handle like the bike in your avatar is ridiculous.

The bike in my avatar is what I commute back and forth to work on, every day of the year, as I don't own a car.  And I never said that your bike had to handle like that.

It is obvious that my standards for acceptable handling and your standards for acceptable handling are different.  I accept that.  People's perceptions vary.  But I suspect that you find your bike acceptable because you've never ridden anything better, so it's simply the best that you know.  Or maybe you've simply never explored the limits of any bike, yours included.  The basis for my perceptions run a little deeper.

He...No, I don't have any of those things on me.
I guess I'm just not that ate up with it.

No, of course you don't.  Because if you did, you'd be quoting information with some basis in reality.

But, a quick trip to Yamaha's website will surely show the weight/size specifications.

Dude- I got a flash for you:  THE MANUFACTURERS LIE.  Their untruthfulness regarding actual weights and horsepower numbers has become an industry institution.  

A friend of mine owns a performance cycle shop (He is a knee dragger, like you). He races Suzukis, and is a Suzuki fanatic....And, he happens to LOVE my VMAX.

I never said that I didn't like your bike.

I just said that there are much better tools available for the job.  It baffles me how the bulk of our culture tends to confuse what they want with what the truth is.  Maybe I was just raised differently.  My Dad used to have a saying.  He used to tell people to "want" in one hand, and shit in the other, and see which one is fuller.

The ONLY thing that a V-Max does well is to accelerate up to about 115 mph, and after 25 years of development, a lot of bikes can do that as well or better, without throwing every other performance dynamic in the dumpster.  There are no current first-tier 600 Supersports made that can't beat a V-Max at the drag strip, and that's not even what a Supersport is designed to do.  Heck, a well-ridden SV650 would give a V-Max a run for it's money at the drag strip.

About 2 years ago, we put a mild jet kit in my bike (back when I had a wild hare up my ass to supe it up a little, but then changed my mind).
After the jet kit, we put it on his dyno...It topped out at 146hp @ 9,000rpm with 80-something lbs of torque.
I don't know what its HP was before the kit, as it was never on a dyno before that, but there was not a very noticeable change as to the way it felt on the road.

There was not a very noticeable change as to the way that it felt on the road, because if done correctly, a jet kit will improve driveability, but it won't turn a stock 110 horsepower motorcycle into a 146 horsepower motorcycle.  If jetting changes were capable of increasing horsepower numbers by more than 30%, we'd all still have carburetors, and all the manufacturers of performance parts would be out of business.  The truth is, your bike probably put out about 110 horsepower before and after.

On the tire issue...I do stand corrected.
You are correct, my tires ARE, in fact bias ply.
They are not the ones in the picture, though...My friend "upgraded" the tires for me (I assumed he meant he would be putting radials on it) but it seems there are no 15" radial motorcycle tires on the market.

I rarely surface an issue that I do not already know the answer to.

This is one of the problems with riding a 25-year old design.  The only tires that will fit those wheels are all crap- there are no good tires available for that bike.  But Yamaha's tooling was paid for long ago, and they'll keep stamping them out as long as people keep buying them.

Bottom line, the OP posted because he knows better, but he's torn.  I responded with fact, and you interjected some emotionally-driven information that was rather spurious and with all due respects, inaccurate.

I take this sport seriously.  I've seen what happens when things go wrong.  Riding on the street is infinitely more dangerous than riding on the race track, and if you're riding on the street, the risks are not something that you can choose to abstain from.  I care about my fellow man, and I want for as many people as possible to survive their interest in this sport.  That's why I think that it is best to select an appropriate tool for the job, and to develop your skill set to a survivable level.

25 years ago was a long time ago.  A lot of us didn't wear helmets back then.  A lot of us drove without seatbelts.  But we know better now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Finally a voice of reason!

The "sport bike thing or else" is getting really old.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#16]
WOW.

1.)  Not getting rid of the V-Strom.  Too cool, I like being able to ride somewhat aggressivly but still get to my cabin on the same bike.

2.) Not getting the MAX.  The spouse pitched a hissy.  

Good points on the dated design, However, the folks that buy these know that going in.  Drive sensibly in the twisties in anticipation of an uncrowded straight stretch. I know the HP #'s are in line w/ some of the smaller sportbikes but I don't want a sportbike, the marriage does not want a sportbike, & I am to old for a sportbike.

I am not giving up however.  I will own a MAX but to make KirkP happy, I do believe I will wait on the new model.  Whatever else I get though, the strom is staying in the garage.  They are an extremely capable bike.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Finally a voice of reason!

The "sport bike thing or else" is getting really old.

No shit.

Jus curious Kirk, do you troll actual motorcycle forums with your biased bullshit or is it just afrcom. For someone that is SO into motorcycles, you would think you would spend more time on other forums with ppl of "your kind", maybe THIS place isnt the place for you, here ppl like to think outside the box and like variety in their life.. On occasion you give some decent technical advice, but everything is just blah blah blah. Same ole shit that gets old, im pretty sure im not alone. lol.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Apparently unless you ride an SV you don't ride a motorcycle?  I'm calling BS.  I've ridden Gixxer 1000's, Duc's, VFR's, CBR's and the like.  Now I ride a Harley.  Even as a middle ager I can put most young'ns to shame on a rice rocket.  

I don't know why you think the SV is the end all be all of motorcycles but I assure you they are not.  Instead of trying to divide the cycling community with your highly biased and often BS comments on motorcycles - try to unify it.  

I think if you want to make the sport/hobby/whatever you wish to call it better you'd welcome the opinions of others and be glad that they are out there riding - no matter what they ride.

As for me - I am just happy people are able to ride, have fun doing so and I wish all my 2 wheeled brothers and sisters a safe ride and a great day.

Peace,

Dean
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#19]

KirkP:
That statement communicates that you already know that your bike makes some significant compromises, and that you know that there are much more suitable tools available for the job.

This statement also sums up your neuroses.

KirkP:
It is obvious that my standards for acceptable handling and your standards for acceptable handling are different. I accept that. People's perceptions vary. But I suspect that you find your bike acceptable because you've never ridden anything better, so it's simply the best that you know. Or maybe you've simply never explored the limits of any bike, yours included. The basis for my perceptions run a little deeper.

You are laughable sometimes, Kirk...

I have been riding motorcycles for about 25 years (about 22 on the street)...The VMAX in those pictures is the 11th bike that I have owned (counting 4 dirt bikes)
The last street bike I owned before it...guess what...An R1 yep!
I've also briefly owned an R6.
A long time ago, I had a KZ1000.  I have also owned a GS1100, and  GS550L (at the same time)

The R1 was a GREAT bike.  But, I didn't like riding it on long trips. I decided I would rather have a bike that was more of a "cruiser", but I hate all of the current ones that copy their styling from Harley Davidson.
I always wanted a VMAX, and it fit the bill of what I wanted...So I sold the R1 to a co-worker (who totalled it shortly afterward) and bought the VMAX 6 years ago.

And...GET THIS...(You will probably REALLY start preaching about how "un-safe", and outdated THIS is)  The FIRST street bike that I EVER rode on the street...The first bike I ever piloted that was not a dirt bike, when I was 15 years old, was my uncle's Honda CBX.

KirkP:
No, of course you don't. Because if you did, you'd be quoting information with some basis in reality.

No...I don't have those things because I'm not ate up enough to keep a dyno slip from 2 years ago framed, and hanging on my wall next to all the pictures of me riding my motorcycle.  OH WAIT!...I don't HAVE any pictures of me riding my motorcycle!!! As per one of your threads a while back...That means I'm not a "real" motorcyclist.

KirkP:
Dude- I got a flash for you: THE MANUFACTURERS LIE. Their untruthfulness regarding actual weights and horsepower numbers has become an industry institution.

Yep, of course they do, so do car mfgrs...But, that information is available elsewhere as well.

KirkP:
I never said that I didn't like your bike.

You said it was "unacceptable on today's roads" or something to that effect.  I never said YOU said you didn't like it.

KirkP:
The ONLY thing that a V-Max does well is to accelerate up to about 115 mph

Really?...Well, don't tell anyone, but I've had mine to 140 before common sense got the better of me.  I must be breaking the rules.

KirkP:
There was not a very noticeable change as to the way that it felt on the road, because if done correctly, a jet kit will improve driveability, but it won't turn a stock 110 horsepower motorcycle into a 146 horsepower motorcycle. If jetting changes were capable of increasing horsepower numbers by more than 30%, we'd all still have carburetors, and all the manufacturers of performance parts would be out of business. The truth is, your bike probably put out about 110 horsepower before and after.

I never said the jet kit turned it from a 110hp bike into a 145hp bike...I, in fact said the jet kit didn't do much at all.
The bike did not start out at 110hp
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Fuck it, I'm getting a vespa.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#21]
It's my understanding that kirkp is religious.

Seems he's forgotten a few Sunday School lessons....

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's my understanding that kirkp is religious.

Seems he's forgotten a few Sunday School lessons....

The only religion ive seen is his "Holier than thou" attitude.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Come on now, boys.  The OP was just laying out his thought process, maybe looking for opinions from the rest of us.   If you don't like one of the reply opinions, or a particular poster, just move the-fuck on.  This back and forth drama and piling on is what's getting old.

We're better than this, or at least we used to be.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Come on now, boys.  The OP was just laying out his thought process, maybe looking for opinions from the rest of us.   If you don't like one of the reply opinions, or a particular poster, just move the-fuck on.  This back and forth drama and piling on is what's getting old.

We're better than this, or at least we used to be.

Are you new? LoL...anytime someone posts ANYTHING other than a SV650 or 'Busa, it gets shit on. THAT is what gets old.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I must be the only one who simultaneously disagrees with a lot of what KirkP says and at the same time enjoys his posts.

In any case, new sig line.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

"Looks" should never be a decision-making criteria for selecting a motorcycle.

... Oh brother, have you considered the remote possibility that maybe not every enthusiast out here plans on knee-dragging the dragon on their bikes for fun?

Although you often type some profound words of wisdom, sometimes you really let go of a stinker

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... Oh brother, have you considered the remote possibility that maybe not every enthusiast out here plans on knee-dragging the dragon on their bikes for fun?

Although you often type some profound words of wisdom, sometimes you really let go of a stinker
Edited to remove link to Winston_Wolf poop picture

That's kind of a knee-jerk response.  

I have more than considered it.  In fact, I have NEVER recommended dragging your knee on any public road.  I have repeatedly recommended doing any exploration of your skill set or your motorcycle's capabilities in exactly one place- a road racing course.  

I challenge you to review every single post I've ever made, to see if you can find ANYWHERE that I have ever recommended doing what you attempt to attribute to me in your post.

Take your time.  I want you to be thorough.  Get together with the other trolls and divide up the work if you need to.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:05:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/Winston_Wolf1/avatar_2874.gif

That's kind of a knee-jerk response.  

I have more than considered it.  In fact, I have NEVER recommended dragging your knee on any public road.  I have repeatedly recommended doing any exploration of your skill set or your motorcycle's capabilities in exactly one place- a road racing course.  

I challenge you to review every single post I've ever made, to see if you can find ANYWHERE that I have ever recommended doing what you attempt to attribute to me in your post.

Take your time.  I want you to be thorough.  Get together with the other trolls and divide up the work if you need to.

Blame shifter!

Come on, follow my finger now, Stay with the program, son. Stop trying to make a subterfuge out of the observation.

"Looks" should never be a decision-making criteria for selecting a motorcycle" – KirkP

Face it, it is a flawed position. Many, motorcycle enthusiasts care about aesthetics of their new purchase in addition to functionality, quality, cost and serviceability.

I appreciate where you're trying to go. Many times I see Internet commandos badmouth decisions to retire the F14s or C141s because they're such a "sexy aircraft".  They very may well be "cool" looking, but are they the best system to complete the mission? Well, no. There are similarities between motorcyclists & USAF but not when it comes to the customer's requirements.

Most people that buy recreational vehicles want them to be visually appealing too. Focus, stay on task - we know you can do it!
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I must be the only one who simultaneously disagrees with a lot of what KirkP says and at the same time enjoys his posts.

Nope.  I'm another.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  I'm another.  

Well then, I do have some material of a different subject matter that's currently getting some play on another part of the forum:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=76&t=731939&page=1�
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#31]

The first Yamaha V-Max came out in 1985, when Yamaha took a 1,198cc, 140bhp V4 and made a big, bad, bruiser-cruiser out of it. Now, more than twenty years on, Mr Max is back in his new avatar – the 2009 Yamaha V-Max. We’ve already shown you the first ‘leaked’ pics of this bike last week, and now we have the full spec on the new V-Max from Yamaha.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I must be the only one who simultaneously disagrees with a lot a little bit of what KirkP says and at the same time enjoys his posts.

I find his posts entertaining and generally pretty informative.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The truth is, your bike probably put out about 110 horsepower...

Quoted:

The first Yamaha V-Max came out in 1985, when Yamaha took a 1,198cc, 140bhp V4 and made a big, bad, bruiser-cruiser out of it. Now, more than twenty years on, Mr Max is back in his new avatar – the 2009 Yamaha V-Max. We’ve already shown you the first ‘leaked’ pics of this bike last week, and now we have the full spec on the new V-Max from Yamaha.

Are you claiming that lie as your own, or is it someone else's?

Like I said, the V-Max is about a 110 horsepower bike:

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#34]
More truth, based on fact, not emotion:

Quoted:

The SV1000 (direct relative to the V-Strom 1000) puts out the same horsepower, but is fuel injected, chain drive, with a 6-speed transmission, an aluminum trellis frame, standard-sized 17" wheels with modern performance radial tires, fully adjustable suspension, responsive steering geometry, a wheelbase of 56", and it weighs almost 200 pounds less.

Plus, you can buy a brand new one at list price for less money than your dealer wants for the used V-Max.

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#35]
More truth:

Quoted:

The V-Max puts out roughly the same horsepower as a current 600 Supersport and weighs around 700 pounds.

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I must be the only one who simultaneously disagrees with a lot a little bit of what KirkP says and at the same time enjoys his posts.

I find his posts entertaining and generally pretty informative.

I do too.  

I think what gets so many people is his delivery method.  I can completely understand where Kirk is coming from but at the same time I really could care less about other peoples choices when it comes to things like motorcycles.  If that's what they want then that's what they want.  I sure as hell wouldn't invest a fraction of the time Kirk does trying to convince someone that they could select a better product.  But then again I don't have any kind of emotional attachment to people that I don't know.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Oh how did we survive riding motorcycles in the 70s and 80s Oh those spindly forks and tube frames and -gasp-bias ply tires.

The same way we got through the '60s on 6.00-14 bias-ply tires and four-wheel drum brakes with single master cylinders and no seat belts- statistical probability smiled on some- but it did not smile on all.  Our chances of survival are better now, at least in part because there are better tools available.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

But then again I don't have any kind of emotional attachment to people that I don't know.

It's hard kneeling over somebody on the side of the road and trying offer them any kind of comfort in the last few minutes of their life.  

It's hard meeting the extended family in the waiting room at the ICU and sitting up all night with them until they come to the decision to take their loved one off life support.  

It's hard when they ask me what color casket I think that their loved one would have liked.  

Yeah, I care about people.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But then again I don't have any kind of emotional attachment to people that I don't know.

It's hard kneeling over somebody on the side of the road and trying offer them any kind of comfort in the last few minutes of their life.  

It's hard meeting the extended family in the waiting room at the ICU and sitting up all night with them until they come to the decision to take their loved one off life support.  

It's hard when they ask me what color casket I think that their loved one would have liked.  

In your line of work it would be hard not to care.  You'd be a down right shitty cop if you didn't.  You likely come in more contact with that sort of thing on a daily basis then I probably ever will in my lifetime.  BTW, I wasn't saying it like it was a good or bad thing.  I was merely stating that I understand where you're coming from but because I have less of an attachment to people I don't know I usually don't invest the time to try to convince them otherwise.  It's hard just finding the time to invest in the people I do care about let alone complete strangers.

For the record I believe the time you put into your posts is evident that you care.

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Google:

www.fasterandfaster.net/2008/06/2009-yamaha-v-max-specs-and-first.html

Yamaha say the primary goals for the V-Max project team were awesome acceleration and strong engine performance, precise and sharp handling, unique styling and Euro III compliance. The result is a 310-kilo motorcycle fitted with a 1,697cc V4 that makes 200 horsepower at 9,000rpm and 166.8Nm of torque at 6,500rpm.

The new V-Max is loaded with electronics. There’s Yamaha’s GENICH technology for starters. That’s Genesis in Electronic engineering aimed at New, Innovative Control technology based on Human sensibilities. Er, yeah… well. Moving on, there’s also Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I) and Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T), which play a key role in extracting 200bhp from that 65-degree V4.

Everywhere I look on the web gives the 145 figure. 110 for the Euro version.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In your line of work it would be hard not to care.  You'd be a down right shitty cop if you didn't.  You likely come in more contact with that sort of thing on a daily basis then I probably ever will in my lifetime.  BTW, I wasn't saying it like it was a good or bad thing.  I was merely stating that I understand where you're coming from but because I have less of an attachment to people I don't know I usually don't invest the time to try to convince them otherwise.  It's hard just finding the time to invest in the people I do care about let alone complete strangers.

For the record I believe the time you put into your posts is evident that you care.

Thank you for your kindness.  You judge me correctly.

I am motivated by my life experiences and my personal convictions.

You know, those times when you would give anything to have a different outcome?  My time is what I give.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Google:

www.fasterandfaster.net/2008/06/2009-yamaha-v-max-specs-and-first.html

Isn't there a rule against posting links to sites with porn?  The girl standing to the right of the Ducati 1098R is bare-breasted, nipples and all.

Yamaha say the primary goals for the V-Max project team were awesome acceleration and strong engine performance, precise and sharp handling, unique styling and Euro III compliance. The result is a 310-kilo motorcycle fitted with a 1,697cc V4 that makes 200 horsepower at 9,000rpm and 166.8Nm of torque at 6,500rpm.

The new V-Max is loaded with electronics. There’s Yamaha’s GENICH technology for starters. That’s Genesis in Electronic engineering aimed at New, Innovative Control technology based on Human sensibilities. Er, yeah… well. Moving on, there’s also Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I) and Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T), which play a key role in extracting 200bhp from that 65-degree V4.

Dude, if they are mentioning European "Euro III" emissions compliance, quoting the weight in kilograms, and the torque in Newton-Meters, it sounds like the horsepower claims are pretty European to me.

Everywhere I look on the web gives the 145 figure. 110 for the Euro version.

As I have already pointed out, that's because you're reading the ADVERTISED numbers.  I'm pretty sure there is no dyno room in Yamaha's advertising offices.

And as I have already posted, the current V-Max puts out about 110 ACTUAL horsepower:

Arithmatic is not subjective.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#45]
It's just like anything else, if I were to buy a V-Max the first thing I would do is buy the chain conversion kit, wheels to 17 inchers, a 1500cc big bore kit, full header and a Dynojet kit with a V-Boost controller.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Kirk, what is your riding background?
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.arenaimages.com/files/images/photo_galleries/circus_gallery/images/thumbs/1135535.jpg

Yeah, pretty much like that, although I should never have let KA3B ride bitch without a helmet.

I don't actually know how to ride, but I'm pretty good with photo-shop:

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I notice your csba sticker. White plate, do you race expert?

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#50]
My wife and I have served as CSBA chapter leaders at our home track.  I have also served as a road racing instructor and a race official, as well as participating as an expert-licensed road racer.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top