Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 7:52:12 AM EDT
This weekend at the range I observed a Bushmaster with a pre-ban collapsable stock. It had a M4gery upper (mini y comp brake), and a fluted 16" barrel. My point is that his rifle looked newer than mine, or just built. Now if I am suspicious, would not an LEO be likewise? I did not want to question the legality with this guy, hell, he could have been LEO (lower not marked LEO).

What do you suggest when you see something like this? Ask the guy if he knows current law? Mind your own business in the event you are wrong?

I honestly think he has a post ban rifle due to other observations that day. I would want to help him out if he did not know. I think anyone would try to prevent a potential problem for him over see him in trouble
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say mind your own business.  I have seen similiar things, and to be honest, most LEO's would not know what they are looking at anyway.  That person could be an LEO, ignorant of the law, or just not give a damm.  Either way, I would mind my own business and not worry about what others are doing because you do not know the whole story.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#2]
O.K., let me ask differently. Is there any telltale signs you could spot that could identify post or pre ban status? This could make it easier to decide if tactful advice is a possibility. If clearly pre-ban, it does not need another thought. I really would hate to see an incident occur at the range I visit. Surely someone has educated a fellow shooter on this topic!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
serial number is always a good start.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#4]
This is true, but it does not do any good in the field. I dont really want to pry. This particular incident may never reoccur. I just wanted to know if anyone has tactfully handled a similar situation in the past. I feel a sense of responsibility to inform this guy. I even told him about AR15.com just for conversation, but he has no computer, and was suprised that there was such a website. This should tell you how informed he may or may not be.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you actually SEE the stock collapse?  Bushmaster makes a rifle with M4gery upper, and a collapsable stock that's permenantly pinned into position.  Designed to appeal to people who want the pre-ban look.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes!
Not a M4gery!
It could have easily been a mini y comp on a pre-ban barrel, allthough I have not seen this. Usually you see a Phantom or birdcage. I guess there is no way to tell outwardly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Say "Hey a Pre-Ban! I got mine....." Just start a conversation with them mentioning preban and you have one or wanted one whatever. If he says it's not then you could point to the preban configurations.

Always treat it as light conversation and never accuse or give a lesson. In fact you don't know if what he is doing is illegal and can't give him "legal advise." If he doesn't know and is open to discussion he'll let you know. If he spouts some BS story just say "oh, I didn't know that!" and go on your merry way.

Some people will be open and some won't. Just be pleasant on your side and know sooner or later you will run into the asshole who will still be pissed you mentioned anything at all.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, good advice. I was not so much aware of these isues until I started using AR15.com. That is why I first suggested to him to check out the site.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Remember too, there are people out there who do not give a shit what the "law" says is legal about their firearms because they are Ultra die hard RKBA people and are willing to take the risks. In your situation I might say "nice AR" or something to see if the person is friendly and wants to converse but I would [b]NEVER[/b] approach someone I did not know at the range and question the legality of their firearm. IMO that's real poor etiquette. Besides, you never know, they might be paranoid and have a hog farm[:)]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd say you should mind your own business.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Blazinglead is right.  Unless you are in law enforcement and are planning on taking action if the rifle is illegal, then it would be a good idea to leave well enough alone.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top