Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2006 4:07:43 PM EDT

so-
porcupines... ever shoot them?  they seem do be doing quite some damage to the trees on my hunting land...

and is it legal to shoot them??
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
no one here has shot a porcupine?  no "porcupine o' truth" thread ??
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont think you will be shooting any porcupines anytime soon....

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#3]
i killed one with a two by four once.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw a DAMN big one up in Colorado in Pike NF last time I was camping up there.
We dont have them out this way, at least not something I have ever seen cross my path. it was a pretty cool thing to see one scurry out off the pass.

Can you actually eat one?
I gotta beleive its a pain in the ass to dress one out
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I saw a DAMN big one up in Colorado in Pike NF last time I was camping up there.
We dont have them out this way, at least not something I have ever seen cross my path. it was a pretty cool thing to see one scurry out off the pass.

Can you actually eat one?
I gotta beleive its a pain in the ass to dress one out

I ate porcupine in africa once, it was pretty good. I didn't have to prepare it though...
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
They say porcupines are typically filled with parasites (worms, etc).
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have heard that porcupines are survival food.  they are slow, easy to catch, and can be eaten raw.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#8]
In MN they are quite common. They are varmints and can be shot on sight. Which is what I always do if possible. They damage/kill alot of trees. When shot out of a hollow tree, they make a most satisfying "thud" when they hit the ground.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]

ok. well.... the ones ive shot- dissapeared. it seems that if an animal can get to the porcupines underbelly, theyll eat it. coyotes and fishers / other scavengers will eat them.

i got 4 this weekend... one with the .45, 2 with the AR15, and one with the truck

one i popped with the AR was 40 feet up a tree, 100 yards away. it was quite a hoot watching it free fall to its death  it should have packed a bullet proof vest and a parachute

as for the one with the truck... there was quills sticking out of my tires... those bastards are every where up there, and i saw them all over the highway. they are really tearing up the trees bad...
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Sic your dog on them...

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm currently listening to a Porcupine Tree album...does that count?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sic your dog on them...

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/dogporc1_small.jpg

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/dogporc2_small.jpg

That is precisely why I shoot every one that I see.  We've made two trips to the vet.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I've shot a few, my dad used to go out in the woods looking for porquies to kill.  They will ruin a tree fast, and before you know it the tree is dead and worthless.  We log on our property so everytime I see one I make sure it's dead before I leave.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#14]
They are really juicy.  Porcupine roadkills are a real mess.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, I have shot them. I hunt south of Sonora TX and our rancher wants them shot on site. It seems as if his cows will nudge them with their nose and before he realizes what happened infection has already set in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I shoot every one I see, tree-destroying little bastards, and my dog just loves to attack them.  He never learns.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#17]
How does one ruin a tree?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

They eat all the soft bark at the very top of lodgepole and fir trees, and it kills the tree.  Its the only damn part of the tree they eat, at least the porcupines around here.

Sometimes when I am out hunting, I can find porcupines just by looking at the trees.  If you see a lot of dead or half dead trees with the very top of the trees stripped bare, then you know a porcupine is around.

If I am out in the woods with my dog, I will just shoot it and dispose of it, or try to before he tangles with it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They eat all the soft bark at the very top of lodgepole and fir trees, and it kills the tree.  Its the only damn part of the tree they eat, at least the porcupines around here.

Sometimes when I am out hunting, I can find porcupines just by looking at the trees.  If you see a lot of dead or half dead trees with the very top of the trees stripped bare, then you know a porcupine is around.

If I am out in the woods with my dog, I will just shoot it and dispose of it, or try to before he tangles with it.

Yup, porcupines are rodents.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sic your dog on them...

For the love of all that is holy!  Doesn't the dog learn not to attack after the first run?  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sic your dog on them...

For the love of all that is holy!  Doesn't the dog learn not to attack after the first run?  

Looks like Spuds Mckenzie
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I hear they are pretty good eating...but only if you shish-kabob them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I hear they are pretty good eating...but only if you shish-kabob them.

I think I would rather eat sewer rat.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#24]
We always have them at our hunting shack here in MN.  They like to hide under our cabin.  We find that they are a good way to practice for the deer hunting season.

-Lunder
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I kill 'em on sight.... I shot one with my .300 Weatherby last year while bear hunting. That 180 gr. Barnes X blew him all to pieces....

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I kill 'em on sight.... I shot one with my .300 Weatherby last year while bear hunting. That 180 gr. Barnes X blew him all to pieces....

- Clint

You should see what a 300g Nosler Partition out of a .375 H&H does to one sitting in a tree.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#28]
From now on, every porcupine I kill will be dedicated to will-rogers, along with coyotes, cougar, and especially bobcats.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Sic your dog on them...

That's funny, that dog got what was comming to it.  As much as Porcupines suck, that dog is good for a laugh.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#30]
from what ive heard about dogs and porcupines, that dog was probably put down.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Where is O_P when you need him...to do a Porcupine O'Truth?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
from what ive heard about dogs and porcupines, that dog was probably put down.

Naw.  I spoke to my vet about that during the last visit to have a silver-dollar-sized chunk of needles removed from my Lab's nose.  He said they knock out the dogs and pull the quills one by one.  That dog's quills would take the better part of a day to remove.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Some states have rules against killing them because they are supposed to be useful to starving. lost folk to eat.

I would have to be damn hungry to eat one of those. I have heard they taste like a pine tree.

Since I have dogs, I shot them whenever I can find them. So far my dogs have been smart enough not to tangle with them or a skunk.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sic your dog on them...

I think it's a pitbull under there, so his thought process was something like:

"I better bite that"
"ow! that hurts, I'll bite you, you bastard"

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Where in Minnesota are you guys finding these things?  I thought it was strange that I have been seeing a lot of possums here,  but I can't recall seeing any porcupines.  Sounds like a good source of target practice though.  Right now I am trying to tame the rabbit population.  They have been chewing the crap out of everything.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I think it's a pitbull under there, so his thought process was something like:

"I better bite that"

Kind of reminds me of an incident with one of my parents dogs.  It has a habbit of wanting to always sniff cats asses.  Well one day he was outside and found a big black cat with a white strip on it.  I think that was the last cat ass he ever sniffed.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Where in Minnesota are you guys finding these things?  I thought it was strange that I have been seeing a lot of possums here,  but I can't recall seeing any porcupines.  Sounds like a good source of target practice though.  Right now I am trying to tame the rabbit population.  They have been chewing the crap out of everything.

my hunting land /  campground is 25 minutes south of bemidji.... the porcupines are everywhere up there... and now im seeing coyote shit all over the place... no wonder theres no deer on my "deer hunting" land...  im taking an electronic coyote call with me next time i go up there
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I have heard that porcupines are survival food.  they are slow, easy to catch, and can be eaten raw.

Dont know about the raw part, but they are left alone in the Adirondak mountains for just that reaon.

I dont need to shoot any of them, when I need quills I can just pick up roadkill.  I used to keep a ratty old wool blanket for that purpose.

See freshly killed porky, get out, throw blanket overtop, ensure lots of quills get stuck in blanket, head on down the road.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Possums are taking over the country side where I live.

I have seen a few Porcupines near my house in Oak Grove.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#40]
oh yeah...

ive been seeing alot of possums around inver grove heights lately,  must be coming up from the mississippi river.

i remove trees and stumps for a living... i was hired by a contractor to remove a very large old stump last year. there was a whole in the top, i didnt think much of it... cut through it with the chainsaw and notices fur and blood on my chain. first thought was a squirrel....

pushed the stump over- there was a possum in it. i cut its shoulder off... let me tell you, its kind of freaky doing that, the bastard could have jumped out of the log on top of me...

so i pushed it out with the axe.. thought about taking my G17 out of the truck and popping it once but i was in a residential area- and i wanted to put it down somehow so.... i hit it with the axe to finish it off.   fucking nasty.

XDbackupgun- ive done alot of work by oak grove. those storms you got last fall made me alot of money....
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

XDbackupgun- ive done alot of work by oak grove. those storms you got last fall made me alot of money....

It hit mostly south of me in Andover.

With the warmer winters the possums are moving north.  They are nasty little bastards, worse than porcupines.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#42]
yeah we worked everywhere.. brooklyn center, andover, coon rapids, lots of trees down. we did a couple jobs today- cutting down half broken off trees from last fall yet-

as for possums....

i had "possum jerky" about 10 years ago... pretty tasty stuff!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
yeah we worked everywhere.. brooklyn center, andover, coon rapids, lots of trees down. we did a couple jobs today- cutting down half broken off trees from last fall yet-

as for possums....

i had "possum jerky" about 10 years ago... pretty tasty stuff!

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#44]
meat is meat... its all about how you cook it- or in that case "jerky it"
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#45]
We get them all the time in the Park Rapids area
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
We get them all the time in the Park Rapids area

hey lunder- my land i mentioned before is at Lake Alice- really close to Park Rapids
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top