Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2001 5:28:34 PM EDT
I have a polytech m-14, I have had no problems with it so far. A buddy wants to trade me a G-3 parts kit built on a FMP reciever. What should I do?
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
If it were me, I would make the trade.

Then again, if it were me, I wouldn't have purchased a Polytech M14 in the first place.

My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Take the trade. Every Polytech M14 I've taken apart was an accident waiting to happen. This doesn't mean that there aren't a couple that are fully functional, but why take the chance.

Polytech M14's sell for about the same price as the FMP-based G3s, but will require a couple of hundred dollars spent to assure that they are safe. Then again, I've seen the Polytech's go for as little as $500; you be hard pressed to get a good G3 for that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I need a Polytech receiver badly
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the HK91, its a military evil looking rifle with cheap mags and the possibility of adding a RAS rail system.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends on the Polytech.

I have three and all are excellent.  I've seen blued ones that were poor.

They took a BAD BS rap from Springfield... they are good enough to really threaten the Springfield.

I had heat treat checked on the key parts and they were fine.  I think they were made with Taiwanese surplus and new receivers.  The receivers are fully machined from forgings.  They're much better than the Springfield and other cast M14 type receivers.

The finish on some of the Poly parts looks worse then it is.  Charging guides are crude looking castings but are entirely workable.  Rear sights same, but I replace them with USGI.  Accuracy is excellent.  Bores are chromed.  Headspace tends to be slightly larger than US but still safe.  I prefer US bolts but have never had a problem  Gas systems aren't stainless steel but USGI will replace them (gas cylinder lock threads are a bit different so keep the lock).  USGI flash suppressors replace the Chinese flash suppressors.   Mags are as good as US.  Probably are.  The Polys are underpriced.

I don't know who FMP is.  If it's an HK licensed supplier it's fine.  If not, it's junk.  All of it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It depends on the Polytech.

I have three and all are excellent.  I've seen blued ones that were poor.

They took a BAD BS rap from Springfield... they are good enough to really threaten the Springfield.

I had heat treat checked on the key parts and they were fine.  I think they were made with Taiwanese surplus and new receivers.  The receivers are fully machined from forgings.  They're much better than the Springfield and other cast M14 type receivers.

The finish on some of the Poly parts looks worse then it is.  Charging guides are crude looking castings but are entirely workable.  Rear sights same, but I replace them with USGI.  Accuracy is excellent.  Bores are chromed.  Headspace tends to be slightly larger than US but still safe.  I prefer US bolts but have never had a problem  Gas systems aren't stainless steel but USGI will replace them (gas cylinder lock threads are a bit different so keep the lock).  USGI flash suppressors replace the Chinese flash suppressors.   Mags are as good as US.  Probably are.  The Polys are underpriced. I don't know who FMP is.  If it's an HK licensed supplier it's fine.  If not, it's junk.  All of it.
View Quote

Completely agree. People who knock the Chinese M-14S's either don't know anything about them or have something to sell you, like gun smithing services.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have any gunsmith services to sell, but I've had problems with three Polytech M14s. One would close on a NOGO gauge after ~ 500 rounds, the other two both had ill-fitting bolts with wear patterns that showed that they were barely in battery when the gun was firing.

I have friends that have a couple that work just fine. I've also seen a couple that fired out of battery. They are more of a crap shoot than most guns of this tyoe, even though the receivers are uniformly excellent, better than the SA receivers.  

It seems like the earlier guns, that appear to be made with parts purchased from Taiwan, are better than the later, postban-timeframe guns, which have parts of indeterminate origin. You pay your money, you take your chances.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top