Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2006 8:26:21 PM EDT
I was wondering how many people have changed their beliefs as a result of visiting this site. I have a feeling it will be pretty low for posters in the religion section because most people who post here seem to be pretty set in their ways, I'm not going to put one in "general" too but I bet it would be higher there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
it hasn't changed me totally, but the many discussions we have had here on abortion have taken me from firmly pro-choice to wanting restrictions after the first trimester.  

I know at least one person has gone from agnosticism to Christianity.

Other people have admitted changing their position on certain matter (evolution, age of the earth, etc...)

Other than the agnostic to Christian conversion, most of them don't involve a huge change, just a gradual shift.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it has improved my knowledge about some questions or better understand the views of others. This is a great forum for differing views and not just an echo chamber.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Forced me to take a hard look at the 6,000 year old earth.

Scripture doesn't give any definitive support for it. Neither do I, now.

Quite possibly the geologic structures of teh earth could be ageless.

I suspect the flora / fauna / homosapien population to have an ancestry of less than 10,000 years tho, based on the same logic of the young earth folks, tho I'm not gonna get in a fist fight over it.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#5]
As a general principle, if discussions here have NOT changed your understanding of Scripture, somethings wrong.

Simple fact is, NO ONE has a complete or error free  understanding of Scripture. Thus, when engaging in discussions here, and being tested to give a Biblical basis for our views....

...I gotta beleive the individual would find himself out of line with Scripture somewhere.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine have not changed, I don't come here to discuss scripture.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Why then do you come here/
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#8]
not in a single way.

it is reaffirmed more than anything, the people I avoid at all costs, and the ideas I have about my world.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't say my beliefs changed. They certainly have improved and refined. What was that saying R.C. Sproul has about "know what you believe" or "have a reason to believe". Yeah, I'm still working on that...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:13:02 AM EDT
[#10]
My theological beliefs haven't changed, but my understanding of how Christians of various denominations believe has grown immensely.

In day to day life, I feel very comfortable asking people who are Hindu, Buddhist, or Jewish for example how and why they believe a certain way -- because those faiths do not proselytise.   But most Christians I know feel called to bring others to their faith (and I mean that in a good way, if their faith guides them to do this, then I wish them well in it) but it makes for socially awkward situations for me.

This venue gives me the opportunity to ask Christians about their beliefs and practices in real life.  

We may have never met in real life, but the fact that we are here on arfcom shows that we have many common values and cultural viewpoint.  What I'm saying is that we would probably instantly like and respect one another were we to meet, and already have interests in common.  That gives a common ground from which to discuss theology.

So here's big {{{HUGS}}} and for our moderator and regular participants.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:18:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why then do you come here/

Not all theological viewpoints or even religions have "scriptures" or "Scripture".

Atheism, Animism, Agnosticism, traditional Chinese folk beliefs, Deism, Secular Humanism -- these are all theologies, but none of them have scripture.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:47:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope...I have my beliefs. Others have theirs. I came in here a huge fan of "Live and let Live" and I am still a huge fan of that stance.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#13]
It moves me a little further into the atheism camp.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Why the fence sitting?

Pick a side.

Fully commit.

(I suspect you already have, just making sure)

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why the fence sitting?

Pick a side.

Fully commit.

(I suspect you already have, just making sure)

I don't sit on the fence, per se, it's just that the more of the Bible I hear reading posts the more implausible it sounds.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't think I've ever changed any of my religeous or political beliefs based on what relative strangers have said on the internet.  In some cases things I read on the Net might have been minor contributing factors in a change of position, but not the cause.

OTOH, things I have read on gun, knife, flashlight or hiking forums have occasionally changed my opinion of a particular gun, knife, flashlight or piece of outdoor gear
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Why the fence sitting?

Pick a side.

Fully commit.

Only works if you care enough to gather sufficient information to make an informed decision (unless you're just arbitrarily picking a side for the sake of picking one).  See e.g. Apatheism.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, I used to believe the 5.56mm was a totally ineffective round.

(Honestly if anything the debates have gotten me deeper into the Bible than I otherwise would have been...)
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Religious belief changed?

Not at all, but for the most part, the discussions are interesting reads. Provides perspective on people and insight as to what drives them, which is helpful in daily interaction with others.

I enjoy a good debate, but I have gleaned one significant bit of wisdom from this forum. When it comes to religion (or lack thereof), there are no absolutes. There are only opinions and the emotions that come with them. It has taught me to stand down when the battle of the argument starts to cost more than the argument itself is worth.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I don't sit on the fence, per se, it's just that the more of the Bible I hear reading posts the more implausible it sounds.

Already haven chosen a side of the fence, your statement above is illogical.

"More implausible" is not possible.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why the fence sitting?

Pick a side.

Fully commit.

Only works if you care enough to gather sufficient information to make an informed decision (unless you're just arbitrarily picking a side for the sake of picking one).  See e.g. Apatheism.

Scripturally, God just says "pick a side."

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I am the lone "I was saved" vote.

Not solely by things I read on AR15, but certainly by the expressions of scripture by many of the staunch Christians here. God was already dealing with me, and it just so happened that this was another place that I couldn't find refuge from His leading.

This was long before the 'Religion' Forum
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Your poll is defective, as it assumes the only way one would change is towards or within christianity.

That said, and having been around since 2001, I'd say "Yes, my beliefs have been influenced by things I've read on arfcom, and no, I no longer consider myself to be christian"
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I have especially enjoyed and found informative the input of some of the Catholic brethren. I was raised Catholic and still have many Catholic family members, but unlike some of the posters on here, they seem to know little of what their church believes or why.

They are 'in name only Catholics' that seem to just believe that the perceived 'seniority' of Catholicism is reason enough to still claim the name. They believe that being born Catholic is the end of the matter.

I have learned alot as a result and though I have not changed my views on these issues, I do much better understand their strongly held views though. For this, I am thankful.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#25]
My personal beliefs have not changed even though I've read some really great compelling posts.  Seeing the actions of some people on arfcom though involving religion has caused a lot of issues though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:50:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

That said, and having been around since 2001, I'd say "Yes, my beliefs have been influenced by things I've read on arfcom, and no, I no longer consider myself to be christian"

Howdy to bala_shark and welcome to the fray.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:58:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

How do you become UN-Christian-ized?

Please explain.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:46:19 AM EDT
[#28]
As my wife studied to become Catholic, I had to really shore up my belief system and its biblical basis. As a cradle Catholic, there were the inevitable things taken for granted. As I began to make commentary in this forum a few years later, I felt a duty to refine those beliefs and express them succinctly. This forum gives me an opportunity to stand and answer about my faith. Its a thought provoking workout. I have never once posted with the intent of changing anyone's belief system, only to offer reasonable explanation of the history, tradition and biblical basis of Catholic thought, and to dispell some of the false mythology that circulates in regard to what Catholics belive and practice.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#29]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Please explain.

IM Incoming to avoid taking this thread offtopic, and to keep any ensuing argument from becoming a free-for-all flamefest.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please explain.

IM Incoming to avoid taking this thread offtopic, and to keep any ensuing argument from becoming a free-for-all flamefest.
We need more n00bs like this. Welcome.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Thank you all for the kind welcomes, though as I've said, I've been around the site since 2001, just with a couple of different names (I leave for a few months when I get tired of the bickering, I forget my login and password, and usually forget which email address I had stuff sent to, so its easier to create a new account) so I'm hardly a n00b.  he
And with that note, I'll un-hijack this thread and return it to its normal course.  If anyone wishes to chat, I do check my IMs every couple of days at minimum.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Your poll is defective, as it assumes the only way one would change is towards or within christianity.

Not defective, limited........by number of choices allowed in the poll so I picked what I felt was most likely to apply to this community. Thanks for giving your opinion of my poll and the information about your apostasy. Welcome back.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Didn't change my faith, but did change my view of gun owners
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:58:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Didn't change my faith, but did change my view of gun owners

That happenned to me too.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#35]
What? There are gun owners on this site?

j/k
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#36]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Not defective, limited........by number of choices allowed in the poll so I picked what I felt was most likely to apply to this community. Thanks for giving your opinion of my poll and the information about your apostasy. Welcome back.

I'm sorry, that was a poor choice of words on my part.  I'd forgotten about the 5-choice-limit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top