Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 8:52:35 PM EDT
was told i should ask this here.

What would you GUESS is the percentage of democrat vs republican LEOs?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it would really depend on a bunch of factors in the the area your looking at. A large percentage of LEOs are conservative but as to Dem. or Rep. it'd be hard to guess.    Hate to use the term but LEOs are a "microcosm" of the population we serve.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:23:30 AM EDT
[#2]
In Maryland there are areas where the Democrats hold such a majority that if you are not one, your vote is useless in the primary elections. I as the previus poster think that political outlook, (liberal vs conservative) is more important
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:52:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say they probably reflect the populations they are drawn from.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:25:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I disagree on populations, as we are close to 50-50 with the parties. I would say it is around 90-95 republican.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#5]
In our lot we have everything from "Who is John Galt?" to Obama stickers to Tea Party stuff.

I am glad I know who I can trust or not
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#6]
much higher than 50-50.  probably 90% R.

usually the obama 'yes we can' stickers are on the cars with shiny wheels
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I would guess that the average male street officer/sergeant/detective=80%+ are R or identify themselves as conservative. The rest of the force (females, command staff) are less so.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I think ideologically it's probably mostly conservative, but in practice and voting I'd say it's probably 50-50 depending on location and the pervasiveness of the unions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Western Washington is notoriously liberal, but in my personal experience, about 90-95% vote (R)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Kern County (CA) is a notorious stronghold of conservativism. Gotta figure the coppers there were in the 90% range. We had a few, very vocal folks at supervisory levels who were hyper-liberal, but that appeared to be mostly demographically-driven. Make of that what you will.
I probably don't need to explain where the Idaho Panhandle falls into the mix.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't think law enforcement is a representation of the community in terms of political views or anything else for that matter.  In most cases, the career choice itself attracts a certain type, leaving the applicant pool itself leaning one way.  From there, the standards, selection criteria, views of those involved in the hiring process, backgrounds, will continue to narrow down the applicants to those that are similar to the values and beliefs of law enforcement, the individual agency and the governing body which may be misaligned with the make up or views of the community.  Of course this is not to say everyone in law enforcement is of the same mind, but it does tend to wean out the extreme views whether that is right or left.  My guess is law enforcement overall leans right, but to what extreme depends on the area.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Kinda depend on where you are at, demographics etc. Around here most are conservative, except for the african-american officers (sorry but it is true) who are very lib for the most part. I for one have a Gadsden flag and an Oathkeeper tab sticker on my truck so it is very easy to figure out what side I fall on lol.

I would think that it would matter if it is a union state or not, also. Michigan is HUGE union in every profession, including LE so there could be some union influence.

I think that like every other profession there is a mix of everything out there.

J-

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I would guess that the average male street officer/sergeant/detective=80%+ are R or identify themselves as conservative. The rest of the force (females, command staff) are less so.

I would agree with this. The left is pushing hard to take over LE as they did the education field. Many departments now actively recruit college sociology majors and homosexuals over military veterans.

Many university police departments are either 100% leftists/homosexuals, or sprinkled with a few conservatives who have to keep an extremely low profile to stay employed.

Consider San Francisco P.D. in the Dirty Harry era to today.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in an extremely liberal community, but I would say about 90+ precent of us cops vote conservative.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted: .........What would you GUESS is the percentage of democrat vs republican LEOs?

I wouldn't, on party. One party's leading man may be the right vote at the right time because of the factors and have little to do with idealogy.......and these days, unfortunally, little to do with what is really wanted.

Further, I don't guess. I look at a particular area, take in all the factors I can, and make my estimation from there........because that's what I'm trained to do.

HOWEVER, in a rough answer to the original question, I'd put it down like this: In my humble opinion, those who have been in the terrorist fight to some degree are more likely to be conservative and probably Republican because they MIGHT view the current democrat opinion on that subject as leading to disaster. Those who have not been in the terrorist fight to some degree, however, have a greater chance of being liberal or democrat but that alone is not a clear indicator that they might be.

In short, just because you are not in the terrorist fight does not mean you will be an opposite of those who are.

IMHO.
("As Colonel Foster's commanding officer, I am interested in facts, not guesses."––SHADO Cdr. Straker after being asked for his opinion on Col. Foster who is charged with espionage, (w,stte), UFO "Court Martial")
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Most cops are conservative republican because we beleive in small government and less governement intrusion into the lives of others.  We also beleive in personal responsibility.   The Dems beleive, 'IT TAKES A WHOLE COMMUNITY TO RAISE A CHILD'     Rep's beleive, "IT TAKES A RESPONSIBLE PARENT TO RAISE A CHILD."

Funny thing is, Police and LE Unions always support Democratic candidates.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I live in an extremely liberal community, but I would say about 90+ precent of us cops vote conservative.

This, the ones that tend not to are usually cut along racial lines. No bash, just sayin'.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:51:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd say 50/50 where I work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Most cops are conservative republican because we beleive in small government and less governement intrusion into the lives of others.  We also beleive in personal responsibility.   The Dems beleive, 'IT TAKES A WHOLE COMMUNITY TO RAISE A CHILD'     Rep's beleive, "IT TAKES A RESPONSIBLE PARENT TO RAISE A CHILD."

That always bugged the shit out of me.  My union friend finally schooled me on the issue.  At least in California, Republican law makers talk like they're law and order, but take a big hairy dump on cops when it comes to legislation that benefits them.  Democrats tend to write, sponsor, and pass legislation for cops.  The police and their unions may be mostly R, but to get what they need, they have to support D.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most cops are conservative republican because we beleive in small government and less governement intrusion into the lives of others. We also beleive in personal responsibility. The Dems beleive, 'IT TAKES A WHOLE COMMUNITY TO RAISE A CHILD' Rep's beleive, "IT TAKES A RESPONSIBLE PARENT TO RAISE A CHILD."

That always bugged the shit out of me. My union friend finally schooled me on the issue. At least in California, Republican law makers talk like they're law and order, but take a big hairy dump on cops when it comes to legislation that benefits them. Democrats tend to write, sponsor, and pass legislation for cops. The police and their unions may be mostly R, but to get what they need, they have to support D.

I assure you that's not a problem exclusive to California.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I would have to say it depends on what type of LE agency it is and where.

The one I work for is fairly liberal, I know that for a fact there are a bunch of guys/girls that I work with that voted for Obama and think he is god's gift to the USA - same people think even remotely referring to anyone other than "citizen" or "sir/ma'am" is racist and won't mind calling you out on it.

My partner is a BIG Obama supporter and thinks everyone is a racist (he's white) against black people.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Most cops are fiscally conservative, pro-military, law and order types.  The closest thing to a liberal you will find in LE work are the militant lesbians. Every department has that officer. The lesbian who never served in the military and instead got a BA or Masters in something like black studies or womens studies.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think ideologically it's probably mostly conservative, but in practice and voting I'd say it's probably 50-50 depending on location and the pervasiveness of the unions.

+1

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Most cops are fiscally conservative, pro-military, law and order types.  The closest thing to a liberal you will find in LE work are the militant lesbians. Every department has that officer. The lesbian who never served in the military and instead got a BA or Masters in something like black studies or womens studies.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd venture to guess that some of the previous estimates of 90-95% Republican is a pretty good standard for my Dept. It holds true even on my squad. There's 11 of us on my squad (including the Sgt and Lt) and only one of us voted for Obama. I'm a registered R myself, but vote more Libertarian in practice.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#26]
In my office the Guys are mostly Democrats, but after Obama they are swinging the other way. I am Independent Conservative. My agency has (3) letters and is not a "Local Agency".

BTW: I have worked for a Local PD and Sheriff in So Cal before moving on. I am still in So Cal I just changed the Location because of the haters.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Line officers are GOP, Middle management and up are Liberals

(This is the norm for a state dept)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top