Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2001 1:29:19 PM EDT
I would like to polish the ramps on one of my guns is this someting  I can do myself or is it something a gunsmith should do???
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a dremel and a steady hand you can do it yourself. Use some JB on a felt polishing bit. You only want to polish and not change the feed angle or enlarge the throat. Just don't get too carried away.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Apart from the fact that you didn't give us a lot to go on....like, what kind of gun, etc....the fact that you felt the need to ask tells us two things.  (1) You're smarter than a whole lot of shooters who'd just flail off and do it and (2) you should enlist the help of someone who has the knowing of these things.

"Polish" means different things to different people.  I've seen 1911's with the feed ramp "polished" to the point at which a lead nosed bullet dug into the barrel and stopped.  Not saying you need a gunsmith to do it, just saying find someone who knows what they're about and buy them a beer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Just keep the polishing tool moving - don't dwell in one spot.  Depending on the medium used you may use a light touch or more pressure.  I use the dremel polishing tip that is bullet shaped stiff felt and the polishing compound that dremel makes - this give me the best control and results.  There is also a tip that is rubber impregnated with a fine grit but this can take off too much too fast if not used judiciously.  Don't use a stone tip even if it is fine.  You will take off what you don't want to.

Also - a little trick I use is to finish off by using toothpaste as a final polish.  It seems to "harden" the surface a bit and gives the ramp a super smooth surface.

If you are not sure that you can do this right - don't ruin a costly piece.  Find somebody who knows what they are doing.

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't own a Dremel
it would be cheaper to have someone else
do it.
If you do have one,
practice on some kid's teeth first.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Weasel!  Yes!  Five bonus points.  LOL
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I've polished the ramps on my Glock and HK USP using a Dremel tool (as stated by Imbrog|io), with a felt tip and a fine polishing media. It took only a few minutes and they look like they have been chromed. No problems!
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Do a bit of research on polishing abrasives.

I polished the ramp on my 1911 and Makarov. Used a Dremel and the "bullet" felt tip. Tripoli is a fine polish compound that will remove lines but not change countours. Jeweler's rouge will polish to a mirror surface, but won't remove lines.

Most ramps just need a polish with Tripoli followed by a bit of rouge. You don't need to remove the milling machine lines, just polish up the face and leave the lines.

If your gun is jamming on the ramp, you should have a smith look at it before you try to "fix" it.

There's a gap in the ramp of the 1911. It's there for a reason. DON'T try to smooth it out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#8]
of the several hundred feed ramps on 1911a1's i've done, i've always used the cratex abrasive rubber bullet shaped bits. they come in different grits and as powder burns said, you do not have to eliminate the lines. and when you're done,
push the barrel back and insure a gap of about 1/2 dimes width ( hi-tech). then with dummy rounds in your mag insure that as the breech face strikes the cartridge and starts to shove it into the chamber it allows the cartridge to point up slightly, not driving squarely into the feed ramp, more like begging to go in the chamber throat.  this may require opening up the last 1/4 inch of the mags feed lips. then radius the bottom cut of the extractor, tighten the disconnector port to eliminate foreward and backward timing delays.
sorry, got kinda long winded.... good luck. always check it is unloaded when working on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top