Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2001 5:29:48 AM EDT
OK guys and ladies, I'm taking a vacation to Washington D.C. next Saturday and will be staying for five days.  Is there a knife I can carry with me that won't get any "frowns" boarding the plane or while I'm in D.C.?
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Call your airline.  Just a warning though, security can be really annoying there.  Don't take a serrated blade knife either.  Worst case scenario, the airline can hold it for you or you can check it in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#2]
If you check your luggage you can take most any knife you want.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Please don't tell me that you plan on visiting the White House with that knife?....
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Like said before, no serrated blades. If it is checked in your luggage no problem at all.  If you want to carry it on the blade can't be over something like "1.25 but defiantly check with your airline.  If you bring it in your luggage to carry around while you are here the general rule of thumb is the blade can be no wider than your palm or longer than a drivers license.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's what I do:

I carry a Benchmade, and when I fly, I stop before I get to the metal detector and put a wad of bills in the pocket clip as if it's a money clip.  When I get through the line, I drop it along with my keys, etc., into the basket and walk through the detector.  They sometimes glance at it, but they won't touch it.  The one time I forgot to do that, they made me open it and checked it against a "blade length guage" they had taped to the wall, but they let me keep it anyway.  The blade is 3".

YMMV, but I've done that for at least 2 dozen flights by now.

Rich
NRA, GOA, LEAA, CCRN
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I fly all the time with an AG Russel folder with a 2& 3/4 inch blade.  Never had a problem with it, but it is definately a dress knife.  Polished stainless and I keep it on a key chain with a micro light and a whistle; makes it look innocent.  I think that 99% of getting a knife through airports is to make sure that it doesn't look "evil".
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I carried a swiss army knife in DC without any trouble, every place that had a metal detector made me check it in at the security desk but no hassles other than that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I have taken my Gerber Applegate knife on 10 or so round trip flights.  The blade is 3.875 and partially serrated.  Only had one detector lady look at it in Denver, but only hassled me a little bit until I got a bit of an attitude and she let me go...

Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#9]
You could always carry a "CIA Letter Opener" polymer knife.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#11]
When I went to the airport to pick up my parents SeaTac security gave me a little bit of a hassle over my SpyderCo. Endura.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I have also seen a Boker knife with a totally ceramic blade...seems to be that the little bit of metal in the sheath probably wouldn't set off the detectors.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I go through security ALOT and have never been hassled about pocket knives. Except once in Heathrow London, regarding a leatherman tool.

The four finger rule should suffice. Carry a cheap knife you can leave there if they really bust your balls.  If they hassle you, ask for the superviser, but stay friendly even if you feel like giving them the columbian necktie.  

They are just stupid people, with a lot of power.  Just smile and nod and say "yes Sah, No Sah"
It's humiliating, but keeps the delay to a minimum.   Happy Flying!
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I work for the airlines and the rules varies with the carriers.  The general rule is that no serrated blades are allowed and blade lenght is under 3 inches.  However, the security guards on other hand will confiscate anything.  They tried to bs me one time at work.  One of the guards tried to confiscate my long benchmade emerson design folder while as I was working on my aircraft.  They said it was over four inches and I told them that they are wrong.  This guard was using a card that "was exactly four inches."  I busted out my scale that measures in the thousandths and measured 3.995".  Boy, I pissed him off and told him that you can arrest me.  I will sue you and your company for violating my rights.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#16]
OK I've got two choices for carry, either a benchmade Big-spender knife/money clip with a 2.3 inch blade or a Spyderco CoPilot with a two inch blade.  

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#17]
AR18 is right I also work for an airline,and all
technicians carry some type of folding lock-blade
knife to work each day and we all must go through security every day.The rule is serrated
or non-serrated blade under 4"I may add that
they do not like serrated blades.I carry a Leatherman"Wave"it has both type of blades on it
each blade is 2.875 I never get hassled
about it.If you must carry anything over 3"place
it in your suite case,my .02cent.Rich
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Spydercard from spyderco fits in your wallet nice little knife. the airport out of OKC has a bis sign that says no knife with a blade over 3½" in length. I have a CRKT BearClaw with a 2" blade. Guess what yup they gave me a hard time about it becaused the blade was curved the security lady said it looked "MENACING". Now on its just my spydercard in my wallet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#19]
You can take any floder with Titanium Liners.  Cause the Metal detector wont be able to find it.  Atleast it works here.  Rule of thumb if you checkin then stick it in your bag.  Cause it aint worth it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#20]
whats the big problem with serrated blades? just tell 'em you need it to get through that microwave chicken!

i just check my leatherman wave AND my glock with my luggage. but then i don't go to d.c. where they are banned. my last trip to cali, coming home, i got stopped at the xray station because the operator "saw something" in my carry-on. i thought "oh sh-! did i forget and leave a mag in there?" they just didn't like the title of my reading material.iirc, something like: imperial war college- ammunition and explosives![:P]

(yes, handguns are legal to transport- unloaded, in a locked hard side case, and you must declare it at the counter. nellies, don't get your panties in a bunch.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top