Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 7:47:25 PM EDT
Any good? How loud is 9mm? Could I actualy practice in the garage with this stuff without the neighboors calling the cops?

Wondering because it's hella cheaper than regular ammo.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
OOOOOO its UN blue!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
link?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OOOOOO its UN blue!

Nobody told them silly blue hats that we have real bullets!

w00t!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]
just a heads up, a lot of this practice ammo doesnt cycle in semi autos...so your looking at one shot and then its manual....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
just a heads up, a lot of this practice ammo doesnt cycle in semi autos...so your looking at one shot and then its manual....

That's what the ad copy says,
Plastic ammo at SG
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Any good? How loud is 9mm? Could I actualy practice in the garage with this stuff without the neighboors calling the cops?

Wondering because it's hella cheaper than regular ammo.

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/oipaloi/20152i_ts.jpg
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/oipaloi/20152_ts.jpg

Link ? It might cycle in my Marlin camp carbine.

edit, never mind, got it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#8]
tagged.

Would a really light spring work? If you went light enough to get the slide fully retracted, would it be strong enough to strip the next round?

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think it would be of much value, it has a 3.5 grain bullet, the point of impact will probably be completely different from regular ammo, 9mm 115 grain and 124 grain have different impact points, a 3.5 grain might be completely off the target.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't think it would be of much value, it has a 3.5 grain bullet, the point of impact will probably be completely different from regular ammo, 9mm 115 grain and 124 grain have different impact points, a 3.5 grain might be completely off the target.

Within 7 yards, I doubt seriously that POI would be off more than a couple of inches, and probably not even that much.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#11]
It's at sportsman's guide.

I imagine they only use a primer. How loud is just a primer going off?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#12]
  Anybody remember the other plastic stuff ? plastic bullet. with a steel BB in the nose, Brass case. Berdan . I think it was Hirtenberg. It cycled in my Marlin and my buddy's Hi Low-point carbine.

No accuracy tho, fragmented like a bi**h coming out of the bbl. I think it was a bakelite bullet.

One more reason to buy a 9mm revolver

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
  Anybody remember the other plastic stuff ? plastic bullet. with a steel BB in the nose, Brass case. Berdan . I think it was Hirtenberg. It cycled in my Marlin and my buddy's Hi Low-point carbine.

No accuracy tho, fragmented like a bi**h coming out of the bbl. I think it was a bakelite bullet.

One more reason to buy a 9mm revolver

Are you  talking about shotshell?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you talking about shotshell?

No, But it acted like one. hang on I'll try to find a link. I have a little case of it somewhere but it's buried in the Armory

Link here 9mm Swedish 24 Gr. Plastic, 864/Case
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's at sportsman's guide.

I imagine they only use a primer. How loud is just a primer going off?

Ive taken small pistol primers and smacked them with a hammer on concrete, and It left my ears ringing for hours. I definatly wouldnt do it more than once or twice without ear protection. It may, however be different in a pistol( Ie quieter) YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Just make wax bullets. They would probably work just as well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If I reloaded that might work.

I dont.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I've still got a few boxes of the 7.62x51 plastic training ammo.

Never tried it, but I hear it works great for short-range pest control in an FR-8.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont.

Don't have to reload. Take a nail and punch the old primer out of a FIRED case. Drill the primer pocket so that a 209 shotgun shell primer will fit. Make it big enough that you can stick them in by hand without a press, but small enough to hold them snugly. Melt some parafin wax, I melt it in a disposable aluminum pie pan. You want it about 1/4 inch deep. When it is almost hard, but still pliable, stick the case into the wax. Pull it out and VOILA, wax bullets.

Won't cycle a semi-auto, but work great in a revolver.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont.

Don't have to reload. Take a nail and punch the old primer out of a FIRED case. Drill the primer pocket so that a 209 shotgun shell primer will fit. Make it big enough that you can stick them in by hand without a press, but small enough to hold them snugly. Melt some parafin wax, I melt it in a disposable aluminum pie pan. You want it about 1/4 inch deep. When it is almost hard, but still pliable, stick the case into the wax. Pull it out and VOILA, wax bullets.

Won't cycle a semi-auto, but work great in a revolver.

You know of any websites that have a writeup with pictures?

Is it quite enough to shoot in my garage/back yard without the neighbors calling the cops?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You know of any websites that have a writeup with pictures?

Is it quite enough to shoot in my garage/back yard without the neighbors calling the cops?

Google homemade wax bullets, or wax bullets and it should come up with some.

yarchive.net/gun/ammo/waxbullet.html

I used 209 primers at first, but found a regular small pistol primer works just as well. I enlarged the flash hole a bit though, and I never pushed the wax round down inside the case. Worked fine for me leaving it right at the end. MAKE SURE YOU MARK THE CASES SO THEY DON"T ACCIDENTLY GET USED TO RELOAD A REAL ROUND!!!!!

They hit surprisingly hard.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm familiar with this ammo - we used it in the Danish army to train new drafted recuits for their very first time firing their weapons.  It does NOT cycle semi-automatic firearms, and I remember we shot it at ranges of about 10 yards or so.  (That was the rifle version, not 9mm - but I assume they work the same)

It is useful to get people used to pulling the trigger, and practice breathing, sight picture, etc - without much risk, and without needing to worry about backstops, etc.  We'd use it for one afternoon, and then onto the range with live regular ammo the next day.

In my experience, you could EASILY shoot in a garage or basement with this kind of ammo (don't completely neglect ventilation, obviously) - but it is not loud at all.  Perhaps a little louder than just a primer, but not really.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, mine came in.

Shot a round off in the garage. Went through the cardboard box and packing paper that it was shipped in and left a nice dent in the garage door about 20ft away.

It left my ears ringing though.  I'm not sure if the loud crack was the round going off, or if it was the sound of it hitting the metal garage door. I'll have to have someone stand outside the garage (with a proper backstop this time) to see if they can hear it.  The kids skating out in the street didn't seem to notice it, so maybe it's not realy that loud.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#24]
But, did it cycle the action?  And if not (I'm assuming it didn't since the SG ad says it won't) would a really light recoil spring work?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope, didn't cycle the slide. I don't know if a lighter spring would make it cycle. maybe
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#26]
"Green" training ammo; its available in everything up to 50 cal, although you need a special barrel to shoot the stuff out of an M2.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I've still got a few boxes of the 7.62x51 plastic training ammo.

Never tried it, but I hear it works great for short-range pest control in an FR-8.

That stuff is LETHAL.

It can go through a 2x4 just like a regular 7.62x51 bullet. Don't think of it as non lethal, because it is NOT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top