Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 3:31:40 AM EDT
Here is a trick question:

two people swapping pistols
one lives in VA one in NC
they meet at the state line
Va guy walks to NC side and gives NC guy pistol
NC guy walks over to the VA side and gives VA guy his pistol

is this legal since it was NOT traded ACROSS state lines?

ETA: Both partys have the propper paperwork (ie CCW or permit to purchase). This is hypothetical.
I was thinking about it since I now live a few miles from the SC border.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:38:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The pistols crossed state lines. How did they NOT cross state lines? They aren't IN the state they started out in.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
NE 1 else?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I think he kind of nailed it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
they didnt cross state lines in a transaction.

VA guy crossed the state line, and then, for a few seconds, lawfully posses his pistol in NC, before giving it as a gift to his friend.

NC guy crossed the state line, and then, for a few seconds, lawfully possed his pistol before giving it to a freind.

no crime.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

VA guy crossed the state line, and then, for a few seconds, lawfully posses his pistol in NC, before giving it as a gift to his friend.

NC guy crossed the state line, and then, for a few seconds, lawfully possed his pistol before giving it to a freind.

no crime.

sounds about right
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I think its about where you are a resident of, not your physical location.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe you can only sell handguns to another resident of your state. Long guns may be a different matter - not so sure on this.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#8]
You could always ask the BATFE their opinion.

HH
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I believe you can only sell handguns to another resident of your state. Long guns may be a different matter - not so sure on this.

Gotta go FROM an ffl TO a ffl if going across state lines in a swap or sell. Rifles can go from the owner to a FFL.

What you propose is a grey area maybe, but why chance paying a lawyer $1000s for a $500 pistol?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't ask, Don't tell.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no crime.

sounds about right

You're very profound.  Its amazing what you add to discussions here.  

The GUN AND OWNER passed over the state line in the course of a transaction.  Thats enough to trip the oh noes button.

Getting cute and playing with symantics always ends in trouble for the people being....cute.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

no crime.

That is what I thought /read.
You can sell / give a pistol to someone while YOU are in another state but you CANNOT buy/recieve one while in NON home state
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#13]
What about,

Move across state lines, give away pistol,

move back to.......h.gif

you get the idea.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Use an FFL.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh please.

Even when you cross the state line and pick up the pistol, you're still a RESIDENT of the other state.

Therefore, when you take it BACK across state lines to take it home,  you just broke the law, as the pistol passed over State lines without going through an FFL.

Period.

Gifts are NOT excepted by Federal law except under the auspices of a will/disposition of an Estate:

"FEDERAL LAW

The transfer of handguns and long guns between private parties residing in different states is generally prohibited as provided in subsections 178.29 and 178.30. These sections say that firearms may not be transferred, sold, traded, given, transported or delivered from an unlicensed person in one state to an unlicensed person in another state unless:

1. the transfer is made to carry out a bequest (as stated in a will), or
     the transfer is the result of "acquisition by intestate succession" (transfer from an estate in which there was no will, and
     the person is permitted to receive the firearm under the laws of his/her home state.

OR

2. the firearm is loaned or rented to the nonresident for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes."

Use an FFL.

SG
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#16]
How could that action possibly violate the 2nd ammendment? "...Shall not be infringed."? (I know the commerce clause crap)
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How could that action possibly violate the 2nd ammendment? "...Shall not be infringed."? (I know the commerce clause crap)

Since when has the Second Amendment mattered with regard to gun laws?

SG
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Absolutely legal!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Don't ask, Don't tell.

Until the BATF is asking you why your gun ended up at a murder scene in a neighboring state.  I don't support the gun laws but I am bound by law to follow them.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Nowadays, gas price is so expen$ive, it might be worthwhile to just use FFLs for transfer.  I know, if you do trade, you get hit double the tabs from ffls...ask me how I know
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Not a problem.

I lived in NC and moved to Richmond, VA.

I called the state police in VA and asked them what I had to do. They told me that it was legal for me to own a handgun in VA so just bring it up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Why Not ? ,  I hear they do the same thing with Wives in Utah.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Not a problem.

I lived in NC and moved to Richmond, VA.

I called the state police in VA and asked them what I had to do. They told me that it was legal for me to own a handgun in VA so just bring it up.

You moved. Different situation altogether.

SG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top