Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/20/2003 3:33:21 PM EDT
If a lower is registered as a pistol from the FFL, is it legal to build it into a standard rifle configuration? I know that on weapons like the Contender/Encore, it is legal to do so, but they're nice PC single-shot weapons. Any help is appreciated. -Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:49:13 PM EDT
If you have a complete AR pistol (which I must assume was made preban) keep it that way - it is worth more as a pistol! BTW - yes you can go from a pistol config to rifle, but never back. So keep it a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:06:02 PM EDT
Prof, not true. If you have a pistol (meaning it was built as a pistol, and never had a stock on it before being built into a complete firearm), you can put a stock on it later, provided you put a barrel of at least 16" length on it before the stock goes on. It can then revert to being a pistol by taking off the stock. A rifle cannot be made into a pistol because of the way the law defines a pistol and a rifle. Legal pistol to legal rifle and back = OK. Legal rifle to legal pistol = "short barreled rifle". Strange, I know, but that's the way it works.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:10:46 PM EDT
Actually, this would be with stripped post-ban lowers. I realize that the 50-ounce rule is in effect currently, but I was thinking about keeping it un-built until Sept. 2004. If there is no replacement AWB, then do a pistol build. If there is, build a rifle. -Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:22:03 PM EDT
Circuits - I won't argue, I would love to believe your opinion! But in a little meeting I had with an ATF agent I was told in no uncertain terms that if a weapon at any time becomes a shoulder fired weapon it can not revert to prior status (except an item in the NFA registry). Please understand due to my recent traumas I have taken the position of not doing ANYTHING without obtaining a letter first, and when ask give the more restrictive (safer) opinion.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:47:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:21:47 PM EDT
Troy- Does that refer to weapons assembled into a pistol (like a factory OA-93), or just registered as one (like a stripped lower), or both? -Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:08:44 PM EDT
Top Top