Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2001 9:40:08 AM EDT
Recently had a chance to make a trade for a pre-ban AR and passed it up. Am I fucking crazy?
Here's the deal. My fairly new Bushmaster 16" and my Century FAL that I've had to do a little work to (got about $200 extra into it) but functions great now, for a used Olympic lower with my choice of upper. Uppers I had to choose from were the upper that it came with or some MandA  uppers in various configurations. Just couldn't bring myself to do it. Let me explain.
I consider my AR to be my shtf gun. None of those uppers had chrome lined barrels (a must in any kind of survival situation in my opinion), and I'm not sure about the reliability of MandA uppers (just haven't had any expereince with them). I would like a flash suppressor, but I'm not sure how important they are in a shtf situation, plus you it's still not illegal to have a preban upper laying around as long as it's not on your rifle. And I don't think I would have put a collapsible stock on it. Yeah they sure look cool, but one of the reasons I like AR's is because of their accuracy,and from what I understand crowned muzzles are more accurate than threaded muzzles as well. And last but not least, more guns are better than less guns.
I'd like to eventually get a pre-ban at some point, but wonder if they're worth the money. Anyway, I figured it would be better to save up some money and wait for a good deal to come along. Anybdy think I'm nuts?
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I would have done as you did, save and get one later rather than trading one post-ban and the FAL.  However, you would have had a rifle that accepts Orlite mags.  What I don't get is why you are ready to dump the flash hider, necessary for nightshooting, because of accuracy, yet you cling to the chrome-lining which hurts accuracy as well.  You won't be in the jungle shooting full-auto, so why not go for the accuracy?  Finally, I don't like the M&A upper.  They're a known company, but Olympic offers standard chrome-moly barrels that are of match quality.  I think you did the right thing in lieu of the upper.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, do the math. By my account, you would have been trading about $1400-$1500 the Bushmaster and FAL are worth for a pre-ban Olympic Arms. Not a good deal in my book.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#3]
You did good. I 'd prefer the preban but two for one? I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you did the right thing. If I were you, I would get a pre ban when you can, but try to keep the others.

Rangemaster,
    My post bans all take Orlite mags. What you talking about?
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Gotta go with the group on this one, you did the right thing.

Pre-ban AR's are definately worth owning, but if I were you, I'd wait and save for a decent one, not some franken-gun made with questionable parts.

Now if you had said that the pre-ban was a complete Bushmaster/Armalite/Colt, that might be a different story depending on the condition.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Op-error: The Oly lower in question is pre-ban.  I wouldn't want to take a file to any pre-ban, especially if it touted itself to be "mil-spec" but wouldn't accept some military magazines.  But that's just me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top