Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2007 4:05:23 AM EDT
I am looking to get a sprayer to paint older garden tractors with enamel as well as primer. What is the best basic setup? Cup gun, HVLP, LVLP etc????  Ease of use/cost is as important as quality of finish.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:24:40 AM EDT
[#1]
HVLP AFIK.  It saves on paint, prevents overspray, and helps the environment.

I'm not familiar with LVLP.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:27:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I am partial to a cup gun. Personally I would go with a Binks No. 7. I have used a GRACO spray gun and was unimpressed. One thing with a cup gun that is not a bad idea is to wrap a strip of cloth or sock around the rim of the cup to help prevent any drips. Shouldn't be a problem with a new seal but it only takes one drop to screw things up.

ETA: A good HLVP system would be nice but for the extra cost and limited use I am not sure I would go with that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:26:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Whats a "Good" HVLP setup cost? I have seen them awful cheap on Ebay, get what you pay for I am sure. Will probably go with a basic $50-$75 cup gun anyway. Will check out the Binks you mentioned. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#4]
The Binks will cost a couple a hundred but I use mine every day for my job.  You will probably find a much better price on a slightly used one like on Ebay.

I don't know a lot about HVLP setup's but like an earlier poster said they will save paint and over spray. I personally think you would be better off getting a good quality cup gun instead of a cheap HVLP setup.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 on the Binks.  Another thing you need to watch is moisture in your supply air.  I don't know what your setup is, but down here on the coast, we fight moisture all year long.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
+1 on the Binks.  Another thing you need to watch is moisture in your supply air.  I don't know what your setup is, but down here on the coast, we fight moisture all year long.  

Another very important part of spraying. Luckily we have a good dryer to get all of the moisture out but if you don't have one you will likely have to go with a desiccant dryer. They can get pretty pricey and require you to change out the media fairly often.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another very important part of spraying. Luckily we have a good dryer to get all of the moisture out but if you don't have one you will likely have to go with a desiccant dryer. They can get pretty pricey and require you to change out the media fairly often.

Most of the painting we do is with airless these days.  So moisture is not a problem as much as it once was.  We use cup guns for touch up.  You can get the dessicant inline moisture filters that work quite will.  You do have to monitor them because once they get "wet" the start to restrict the airflow.  Another thing about them is you always seem to have one less than you need to finish the job.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#8]
HVLP with an inline filter should work just fine.

Sata, Binks, Devilbiss. Sata is definitely expensive, but may be worth it depending on how much you plan to use it. You would be fine with either of the other two as well. Also, my local O'Reilly Auto has a cup gun for like $120. It's a decent gun, I've used one on several projects. Pretty much the same thing as you are seeing on ebay for $50ish I'm sure. If you won't use it too much, it might be an alright option.

In most cases, you will want a different tip in the gun for primer vs. paint. Primer usually requires a larger tip, at least for my applications. Most people have seperate guns for paint and primer, unless you're just a weekend hobbyist like me. Luckily I have a friend who is a body man so he just lets me borrow his paint guns when I need them. However, it is a bit nervewrecking when he gives me $1k worth of paint guns and says "Don't mess them up."
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
HVLP with an inline filter should work just fine.

Sata, Binks, Devilbiss. Sata is definitely expensive, but may be worth it depending on how much you plan to use it. You would be fine with either of the other two as well. Also, my local O'Reilly Auto has a cup gun for like $120. It's a decent gun, I've used one on several projects. Pretty much the same thing as you are seeing on ebay for $50ish I'm sure. If you won't use it too much, it might be an alright option.

In most cases, you will want a different tip in the gun for primer vs. paint. Primer usually requires a larger tip, at least for my applications. Most people have seperate guns for paint and primer, unless you're just a weekend hobbyist like me. Luckily I have a friend who is a body man so he just lets me borrow his paint guns when I need them. However, it is a bit nervewrecking when he gives me $1k worth of paint guns and says "Don't mess them up."

Im sure you'd let him shoot your 1K AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top