BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 6:09:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quick thinking!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#2]
What? You're not supposed to do that? Oops!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#3]
New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Hunt perv
caught in a flash
By TRACY CONNOR
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Friday, August 26th, 2005

When a pervert exposed himself on a Manhattan subway last week, Thao Nguyen reached for her secret weapon - her camera phone.
The quick-thinking 22-year-old snapped a shot of the smirking sicko, took it to cops and then posted it on the Internet.

Word of her campaign to nail the flasher raced through cyberspace, and more than 45,000 people had viewed the photographic evidence by last night.

"I just hope they catch him," Nguyen told the Daily News.

"Maybe someone will recognize him. Maybe it will stop other people from doing it," she said. "Maybe other women will use their camera phones to stop crime."

Nguyen's transformation from quiet Web developer to feisty crimefighter happened on an uptown R train the afternoon of Aug. 19.

She was on her way back to work after a job interview when a middle-aged, blond-haired man dressed in a black shirt and jeans sat down across from her.

"He kept staring at me," she said. "I could feel his eyes on me. I wanted to avoid eye contact so I looked away, but I could see his reflection in the window.

"I saw him massaging himself and then he unzipped and pulled it out. I thought, 'I can't believe he's doing this in the middle of the day!' "

The subway car was mostly empty and Nguyen felt nervous, so she pulled out her Samsung P777 cell phone, equipped with a 1.3 megapixel digital phone.

"I turned on the camera," she said. "He was still masturbating. I aimed it and quickly took the shot. As soon as I took it, he zipped up and got off the train."

Nguyen said she was disgusted by the incident and immediately reported it to a police officer at the 34th St. station.

The next day she filled out an official complaint, and the following day a detective had her look at hundreds of photos of ex-cons.

None of them was the culprit, but Nguyen wasn't about to give up. She posted the degenerate's photo on the Web sites Flickr and Craigslist, and bloggers began linking to her site.

Her photo and story drew a few juvenile snickers, but most of the comments have been positive. One Netizen wrote: "You go, girl!" Another commented, "I hope his mom sees it." The NYPD, which confirmed Nguyen had filed a complaint, also was impressed.

"It's great she took the picture; it'll help with the investigation," said NYPD Detective Kevin Czartoryski, who warned that a woman should be careful if the flasher sees her taking the picture.

"If it can be done in a safe manner, it'd be helpful to locate the suspect," said Czartoryski, a NYPD spokesman. "Common sense should be used when deciding if a picture can be taken."

Nguyen isn't the first straphanger to use her cell phone to catch a criminal.

In May, two Catholic schoolgirls took a photo of a man en flagrante on the F train and showed it to a cop, who nabbed the pervert.

Nguyen said even if her tormentor isn't caught - and charged with public lewdness, a misdemeanor that carries up to three months in jail - she's glad she took action. "He made me feel creepy," she said. "I want to embarrass him."

If you recognize the man in the picture, call the Daily News at (212) 210-1574 and let us know.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:58:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The subway car was mostly empty and Nguyen felt nervous, so she pulled out her Samsung P777 cell phone, equipped with a 1.3 megapixel digital phone.

I guess firearms aren't the only thing reporters and editors are clueless about.  That 1.3mp phone must be like one of those fully automatic revolvers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#6]
We need some owned pics of thei guy..
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey you're on camera, why stop now?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Smile, you're on Candid Camera ya sick bastige!
Post it on the Jumbotron in Times Square. That outta get a quick response. Otherwise just keep the pic on the net and the slob will get his pic taken by NYPD with a nice number on his chest.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#10]
she is probaly a gilted EX, out to get him.. she stalked him on the train, waited till no one was on, then said.. come on.. just 1 more quickie for old times sake..

then as soon as he drops trow, she snaps the pic, and says GOTCHA!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess firearms aren't the only thing reporters and editors are clueless about.  That 1.3mp phone must be like one of those fully automatic revolvers.

Integrated 1.3 Megapixel Digital Camera
Capture 1.3 megapixel photos with digital zoom, multi-shot and more, and e-mail or send them to compatible phones

From here
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Integrated 1.3 Megapixel Digital Camera
Capture 1.3 megapixel photos with digital zoom, multi-shot and more, and e-mail or send them to compatible phones

From here

Read it again: so she pulled out her Samsung P777 cell phone, equipped with a 1.3 megapixel digital phone.

Hilarious, I wonder how long it will take to catch this perv?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Read it again: so she pulled out her Samsung P777 cell phone, equipped with a 1.3 megapixel digital phone.

Hilarious, I wonder how long it will take to catch this perv?

I see.

The pic was good thinking, hopefuly someone sends a link to his mother or wife
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yo, Vinnie...here's your next collar!

I'll take it!  I need one by the end of the month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top