Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2004 5:39:32 PM EDT
This is the 2nd time in probably 4 years I have paid it late, I wonder if I tell them I am going to cancel my card they will waive my 25 buck fee.

is it worth trying?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. I've done it on a couple of occasions. especially around the holidays when the mail gets a little slow.  I'm not talking weeks, just a day or two but they have always let it slide.
I should also add that my balances have always been small and my beef was that paying a $25.00 late charge on a 16.95 balance just ain't right.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes it will work call them and ask. They usally will give 2 late fee waives per year.

DrB.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Cut that sucker up and throw it away!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks, I think I am just going to say straight up hey I would like to do my credit carding with you guys but if you dont waive this fee I would like ot cancel my account.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1

or, at the very least, sign up for
ACH so you can pay at the last
minute (if you forget).
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I did the same thing once.  I called my card company and pleaded with them.  They looked at my history and waived the charges.  The guy told me that because I always pay off my balance that I am not really a favored customer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Busy buying parts for the AWB sunset I see
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#9]
you shouldnt even have to threaten them with canceling the account.  Just point out that you have an excellent payment record and that you would appreciate them removing the fee.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]
They have always waved the late fee for me when I asked.  I would immediatly cancel the card if they do not.  Theree are some really good cash back CC offers out there now.  I'm getting 5% cash back on all my Gasoline and Grocery purchases.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Citibank?

Quoted:
They have always waved the late fee for me when I asked.  I would immediatly cancel the card if they do not.  Theree are some really good cash back CC offers out there now.  I'm getting 5% cash back on all my Gasoline and Grocery purchases.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Definitely ask them to take off the charge.  Be very nice to whoever you talk to on the phone.  I've done this twice and I'm sure they have people call them every day.  Call ASAP.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2.

What will that do I will still have to pay my bill.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I set up electronic bill pay at my bank and set the minimum payment to go automatically each month.

Now no matter what happens they get their $15 bucks and I send them whatever else I owe when I set down to pay bills.

Problem solved!

thats really a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Citibank?

Quoted:

Yes, Citi platnum Dividend card.  5% cash back on Groceries, Gas, and Rx drugs.  1% on everything else. They send me a check for $100.00 every time the dividends reach that amount.  With gas prices over $2.00 a gallon that's pretty fast and often!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2.

What will that do I will still have to pay my bill.

Yes you will, but you won't have to worry about a another one. If you must have a card, get a visa debit card, it will do everything a credit card will.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you must have a card, get a visa debit card, it will do everything a credit card will.

Debit cards lack some of the protection of credit cards.  If someone sterals your credit card you are generally only responsible for the first $50.00.  Debit card is linked directly to your bank account, and the crook can clean it out.  Good luck getting the bank to give you any of that money back.

Simply. With a credit card the bank is the victim.  with a Debit card you are the victim.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Im looking at getting that same card, I need to get rid of 1 or 2 to free up wallet space for new ones though.

I had a few cards that were always late it seemed.  Some of them send the bill and I only have a week and a half or so before the due date.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I called when I got hit with a late fee of %25 of the balance on the card and I was pissed since thier own electronic systems delays the payment a couple of days.  Got the fee waived, and the intrest rate reduced to 0% again for another 9 months.  Give 'em hell.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you must have a card, get a visa debit card, it will do everything a credit card will.

Debit cards lack some of the protection of credit cards.  If someone sterals your credit card you are generally only responsible for the first $50.00.  Debit card is linked directly to your bank account, and the crook can clean it out.  Good luck getting the bank to give you any of that money back.

Simply. With a credit card the bank is the victim.  with a Debit card you are the victim.

They have protection if they have VISA or MC logo.  Only applies to credit-style purchases.   They get your PIN and you are hosed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

This is the only viable option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top