Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2001 10:30:47 PM EDT
hey guys-

been thinking about picking up a 308 bolt action - any opinions on the sbs tactical light weight 20" with 10round mag or the ssg69 ( i hope that's the right designation)with 26" bbl and factory 6x42 scope?

thanks in advance
steve
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Without a doubt, stick with the SSG 69.  It is an outstanding all-around hunting/sniper/target rifle.  Steyr designed the SBS around the "economic" minded individual, and although it bears the Steyr name, very few professionals would validate it's ability to keep up with it's predecessor.  The best analogy I can give you is the H&K USP.  A fine sidearm; but definitely not a P7.
Did I mention that I actually have experience shooting both?  SSG 69, you won't regret it.  My only advise is to see if you can get a used one in excellent condition.  The prices are pretty steep.
***ptp
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks ptp,

that was my feeling too.  i can get one nib with the factory rings and a 6x42 scope for $1300.

i was leaning toward just getting a system out of the box.  

i have two usp's and no p7 so i can only guess at the translation.  but thanks for the info!

steve
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#3]
The SSG is a fine rifle.  I have owned both a SSG PI and a SSG P2K.  The old green SSG PI was probably my favorite.  I have a feeling that Steyr is phasing them out in favor of the SBS action.  I had a 10x Kahles scope at one time.  It was kind of a pain to zero.  It did not have normal click adjustments.  You had to turn the adjustment knob to one extreme and them loosen a locking device.  Then you kept turning the knob a guesstimated amount.  A lot of trial and error.  If the 6x is like that I would pass on the scope.  Anyway, the SSG is a winner.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#4]
The SBS can use any standard A-bolt rings/mounts basically giving you lots of aftermarket choices. With the SSG you are left with little choice but to use Steyrs factory scope rings. The only bad thing that I can say about the SBS is the stock. It is good at reducing recoil but it is too soft in the forgrip and it will touch the barrel if you mount a bipod. The McMillian stock is much better.

I've shot the P7 many times, I've always hated the "squeeze" cock design. It's just not comfortable to hold and the tiny ejection port made cleaning a hassle compared to most modern automatics. I like my USP's much better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top