Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2012 4:30:02 PM EDT
The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for an Oscilloscope for use on my cars. I really need to read the wave coming off of my crank position sensor and I don't own a scope yet.

Any recommendations? I don't own a lap top so that's not an option. I've seen a few things suggested for what seem to be a reasonable cost, but I was wondering if anyone had some specific suggestions.

Update:

My DSO Quad came in the mail today. I think it'll be ideal for my purpose. Here's a pic.

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Fluke makes one but I'm sure it's pricy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I just did a quick check and those are in the thousands. I'm not looking for anything that nice.

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
check amazon / ebay for USB portable O'Scope.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just did a quick check and those are in the thousands. I'm not looking for anything that nice.  

Buy once cry once.

Only other ones I'm familiar with are the old school blue screen CRT types.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Let's see what might work-

-Do you need it to work while driving (as in powered by 12V or battery)?

-Do you need to reference the crank signal to some other signal (as in two channels or more)?

-Do you plan to use this for other purposes other than just crank signals?  

-Do you need to make printouts or screen captures of the waveforms?

As a first guess, one of the older Fluke Scopemeters would probably be a decent choice.

Some of the PC based tools nowadays are fairly decent, also.

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#7]
aren't a  few CPS's  used known working a lot cheaper; or new for that matter?
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
O-Scope app for a android or IPhone?
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

-Do you need it to work while driving (as in powered by 12V or battery)? Maybe?

-Do you need to reference the crank signal to some other signal (as in two channels or more)? Not sure, but it may be nice.

-Do you plan to use this for other purposes other than just crank signals? Not really.

-Do you need to make printouts or screen captures of the waveforms? No. I can take a pic or video of the unit if I must.

As a first guess, one of the older Fluke Scopemeters would probably be a decent choice.

I'm no EE, but I can read a book. My CPS is not acting correctly and rather than continue to throw parts at the car I would like to read the signal to verify a good wave starting at the sensor and working my way back to the ECU. At this point I've ran new wires to the sensor, replaced the sensor etc. I now need to see what the problem is.

It may be nice to log the 8v power feed, along with the sensor signal at the same time. I'm not good enough to know if logging the ground at the same time would help too.

ETA: One of the guys on a car site I'm on recommended this scope. Is it all I need? It seems awfully cheap.

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you ever consider visually inspecting your reluctor wheel for damage?  If your circuits and sensor are new, that's the logical next step. A gasket is a lot cheaper than a reliable scope. Then again, there are these guys that accept money to fix cars.  Most of them are experts. Typically it's cheaper to pay guys like me to fix your problem than to throw needless money at it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

-Do you need it to work while driving (as in powered by 12V or battery)? Maybe?

-Do you need to reference the crank signal to some other signal (as in two channels or more)? Not sure, but it may be nice.

-Do you plan to use this for other purposes other than just crank signals? Not really.

-Do you need to make printouts or screen captures of the waveforms? No. I can take a pic or video of the unit if I must.

I'm no EE, but I can read a book. My CPS is not acting correctly and rather than continue to throw parts at the car I would like to read the signal to verify a good wave starting at the sensor and working my way back to the ECU. At this point I've ran new wires to the sensor, replaced the sensor etc. I now need to see what the problem is.    

It may be nice to log the 8v power feed, along with the sensor signal at the same time. I'm not good enough to know if logging the ground at the same time would help too.

ETA: One of the guys on a car site I'm on recommended this scope. Is it all I need? It seems awfully cheap.

The scope you were recommended actually would be fine if you wanted to see just the waveform from the CPS but it is single channel (so you can't see how the pulse from the CPS compares to say the cam sensor) and also uses the ground where it is plugged in as a ground reference (so the issues that the poster above raises won't be detected by this unit).

My nutshell response is that you probably would be better served by borrowing a scope if possible along with someone who has some experience with how they can lie to you.

Checking the grounds is probably where I'd go next if you've already replaced the sensor.  Not just looking at them but taking them apart, cleaning, and retorqueing them.  Also follow the wires to look for bad connections.

A scope might help you track down your problem but it could lead you down the wrong path also.  

ETA:I was referring to CSM's reply about grounds.  Even if you aren't Cummins powered, try his ideas next.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Cheaper to rent or borrow.
It isn't like you are going to be using it all the time.

ETA:  Apparently they are cheap as hell now, I didn't know they made little digital ones like that.
I want one!
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Did you ever consider visually inspecting your reluctor wheel for damage?  If your circuits and sensor are new, that's the logical next step. A gasket is a lot cheaper than a reliable scope. Then again, there are these guys that accept money to fix cars.  Most of them are experts. Typically it's cheaper to pay guys like me to fix your problem than to throw needless money at it.

I may need to inspect that next. I'm not a professional, but there isn't anyone around here I would trust with the car who would charge less than the car is worth.

I've checked all grounds and connections thoroughly. I was wanting to try a scope before throwing another computer at it or pulling the pan.

I had some hall effect pickup issues this summer with another car. A scope would have come in handy on that one too...

My father is an electronics guy so I may see if I can borrow one of his fancy pants scopes. I've always been a bigger fan of buying what I need rather than borrowing from another person though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Update in OP.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for an Oscilloscope for use on my cars. I really need to read the wave coming off of my crank position sensor and I don't own a scope yet.

Any recommendations? I don't own a lap top so that's not an option. I've seen a few things suggested for what seem to be a reasonable cost, but I was wondering if anyone had some specific suggestions.

Update:

My DSO Quad came in the mail today. I think it'll be ideal for my purpose. Here's a pic.

What are the specs on that? How many channels?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Update:

4 channels two analog and two digital.

here is the site

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:57:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Update:

4 channels two analog and two digital.    

here is the site

The built in function generator is kind of cool!
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Browsing that site, found this........

Little hydro generator. Pretty cool, but don't know what it's realistic applications would be. I guess you can hook it up to your garden hose!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top