Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2003 7:27:30 PM EDT
what the diffrence between Static IP addyand a Dynamic IP addy?

Im finally taking the plunge...

< in case anyone cares.... this post was interupted by an overflowing toliet! .. if you still care ... a bissell carpet steamer/cleaner will pick up water of the bathroom floor FAST !!  (one gallon at a time) >

now back to my question....

what the diffrence between the two... All I know is that the static IP is $54.95 and the dynamic IP is $26.95 < SBC-yahoo DSL >

why is the static ip more $$ and how does it affect me..

thanks ..

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If I understand correctly the static IP is if you are gonna host a webcam or run a server of some sort. Mainly for business and hardcore gamers. I doubt it would be worth it for you.

$26 is great for DSL. I just got it through Bellsouth several weeks ago (love it!!!) and am paying $45.

What speeds are they promising? I seem to be average 1500 kbps. Pretty damned fast.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, i'd have to second Five0. Bellsouth's DSL has been great for me too!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Static IP would be used if you were hosting a website and needed the same IP address all the time.

Dynamic IP means that you could get a different IP address each time your DSL router is booted, or on a time interval determined by your ISP.

I have a dynamic IP address through my cable modem.  I suspect that a dynamic IP would work for you as well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
It is a whole new world with broadband. My children spend hours downloading anime videos. Files that would take hours on a 56K dialup only takes minutes. i've got cable modem @$40/month and the cable company threw in a free modem, I found the exact modem at CompUSA for $80. I would watchout for a sales on harddisks at your local computer store for your computer because you're going to need it. I would recommend Western Digital with the 3 year warranty.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Hehe..
He said DSL..Hehehe
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Once you go broadband...you'll never want to go back to 56gay
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless you are going to host anything, you don't need a static address.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually even if you want to host things use a Dynamic DNS provider.  The one I'm using is dyndns.org    It is kind of obvious where the redirect is coming from but it works real well, they give you username.homedns.org (or a host of other options with the same naming convention).  Installed a rather small client on my PC and it updates every 8 hours or so just in case my cable modem changes on me.

Of course if your provider blocks the common ports 80 for web pages, 21 for FTP you have to do a little more work.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for the replys...

asa far as promised speeds.. here are the specs..
[red]
26.95 package:
SBC Yahoo! DSL Standard Plus Package  More Info
(Most Popular, Best Value)
384 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps downstream/128 Kbps upstream [/red]

and the next package up is
[blue]
SBC Yahoo! DSL Deluxe Package  More Info
(Faster Upload Speeds)

768 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps downstream/256 Kbps upstream
[/blue]

so deal or dud ?  

edited to add:

ever notice how you never found the need to host something.... untill someone says you CANT ? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd get the one for $36.95. The minimum 364/128 of the bargin service seems a little low for my taste.
I switched to a dynamic IP went I got Earthlink/Covad.  The only problem I have had is that I occasionally loose my host mask in IRC which kind of pisses me off because I have to go back to IRC support to get reauthenicated.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]
The average homeuser really doesn't need the faster upload unless you upload a lot of pictures or large files.  Is it worth the price difference, I'ld say "No" but at about 34 cents a day go for it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#13]
One more thing, if you run a home router (which will never be turned off) you may just keep the same dynamic IP address for a long time.

I use a Netopia router here at home (overkill I know) on my Cable Modem and my IP address has not changed in the last 8 months. Since Earthlink Cable does not offer static addresses this is almost as good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top