Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 3:33:15 PM EDT
my town has recently added a bunch of roundabouts and one way streets. i know you can take a free left hand turn when it involves a one way street. however i thought that only applied while on a one way street and turning onto a one way street. i see people all the time turning from a 2 way street onto a one way while the light is still red. which is correct?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:39:55 PM EDT
Turning from TWO way street to ONE way street, I think you can turn RIGHT when the light is still red (watch for cars, pedestrians and "No Turns on Red" sign), but you have to wait until the light turns green if you were turning LEFT.  Otherwise, you might get rammed by a car going the opposite direction, right?

I think that's how it works.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:45:09 PM EDT
i travel all over the place and here is my suggestion.

If in doubt wait for the light to change. Perfectly legal, reduce your chance of getting hit or hitting a pedestrian. May piss off the guy behind but so what.... he's probobly not carrying [:D]

mike
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:56:02 PM EDT
You are correct. You may make a left turn on red only when turning onto a one-way street from a one-way street.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:56:28 PM EDT
i wait for the light to change before turning left from a 2 way onto a 1 way.

i have turned left on red from a 1 way onto a 1 way.

just wondering how long before one of these idiots is gonna cause a wreck.

May piss off the guy behind but so what.... he's probobly not carrying
View Quote

[lol]

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:11:06 PM EDT
left or right one-way to one way on red is ok per Uniform Vehicle Code.

I don't know of any place where left after stopping at a red light from a 2 way street is legal unless posted OK to do so.  That sounds just a little too risky in most circumstances.  It's not that hard to wait for a cycle or have a left arrow come up.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:30:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Cougar8045:
You are correct. You may make a left turn on red only when turning onto a one-way street from a one-way street.
View Quote

This is correct.
Top Top