Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 4:26:50 PM EDT
So I'm home alone and bored and start surfing around ARFCOM just to do something when I hear my dogs barking.  I didn't think nothing of it at first, but eventually I thought, sometimes when the dogs are barking, the next morning we'll open up the chicken coop to find a couple dead chickens.  So I let the dogs out to see if there was anything going on thinking it was probly just the neighbors.  When I get to the chickens, the door is open because noone had shut them up yet, and all the chickens are outside even though its dark outside.  I peek in to see theres a possum in there.  So I went to the house to get a gun.

I open my safe, tried to decide what gun to choose...my trusty .22 was missing a screw off the ejector from when I was cleaning it...my other .22 I had JUST cleaned up all spiffy in order to shoot some groups with it...the AR I didn't want to use because it would be a couple months before I would get to use it next and didn't wanna have to clean it, but I did think, "man this would be a good time to see about whether or not 5.56 is a good close quarters combat round"...so I chose the single shot 20ga.  

I grab it, ran out there, and looked in and he was in the corner.  I didn't wanna shoot him that close(8 feet) because I didn't wanna see its head explode.  So I went in the barn and grabbed some leather gloves, came back to the coop and grabbed the possum by the tail and took him out in the snow where he couldn't get too far without me getting a shot off.  I let him go and he scampered away...boom... stopped him right in his tracks at 15 feet.  I walked up and kicked him and he acted like he had a little bit a life left in him, he wasn't squirming around wildly like if he was dead.  So I back up 20 feet, take another shot which scooted it across the snow about 3 feet, and then took another one for good measure.

Then I quickly cleaned the shotgun, put it back in the safe, and came here to post my action adventure of the night....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
What??

NO PICTS!?!?

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So I'm home alone and bored and start surfing around ARFCOM just to do something when I hear my dogs barking.  I didn't think nothing of it at first, but eventually I thought, sometimes when the dogs are barking, the next morning we'll open up the chicken coop to find a couple dead chickens.  So I let the dogs out to see if there was anything going on thinking it was probly just the neighbors.  When I get to the chickens, the door is open because noone had shut them up yet, and all the chickens are outside even though its dark outside.  I peek in to see theres a possum in there.  So I went to the house to get a gun.

I open my safe, tried to decide what gun to choose...my trusty .22 was missing a screw off the ejector from when I was cleaning it...my other .22 I had JUST cleaned up all spiffy in order to shoot some groups with it...the AR I didn't want to use because it would be a couple months before I would get to use it next and didn't wanna have to clean it, but I did think, "man this would be a good time to see about whether or not 5.56 is a good close quarters combat round"...so I chose the single shot 20ga.  

I grab it, ran out there, and looked in and he was in the corner.  I didn't wanna shoot him that close(8 feet) because I didn't wanna see its head explode.  So I went in the barn and grabbed some leather gloves, came back to the coop and grabbed the possum by the tail and took him out in the snow where he couldn't get too far without me getting a shot off.  I let him go and he scampered away...boom... stopped him right in his tracks at 15 feet.  I walked up and kicked him and he acted like he had a little bit a life left in him, he wasn't squirming around wildly like if he was dead.  So I back up 20 feet, take another shot which scooted it across the snow about 3 feet, and then took another one for good measure.

Then I quickly cleaned the shotgun, put it back in the safe, and came here to post my action adventure of the night....

Lemme get this straight you didn't want to see his head esplode at 8 feet but felt it was ok to shoot him at 15 feet, kick him, shoot him at 20 feet, and finaly shoot him again at 23 feet????

Wow man that aint right.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What??

NO PICTS!?!?

No pics either?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Kill'em all, Let the Opossum god sort them out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
that's what they make supressors  for.  when he's playing dead walk up and put two in it's brain pan.  that's what I do, but I live in the city kindof
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
ok ok... I'm going out to take pics....  i'll be back...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#8]
<--------------------

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#9]

well, even though its head did explode, atleast I didn't see it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't trust him , he's probably "playing possum"

Shoot him again  NOW!

GM
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never grabbed a possum by the tail.  are they strong enough to do a mid-air sit-up and bite your arm?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Dont take any chances.....SHOOT HIM AGAIN
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/chicken_little/possum.jpg

well, even though its head did explode, atleast I didn't see it.

Either that's a baby or you have size 14 feet!    
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#15]
you were lucky grabbing that possum. possums have been known to take down full grown grizlys, elk and even an occasional moose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top