Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2001 1:02:05 PM EDT
I got comfirmation today from your freinds at the BATF that I CANNOT bring my Oly AR15A2 into the states for Competition!!!  I wanted to go to some 3gun comps in the Michigan Area!!

Here is their second response....their first was very confusing to say the least.

Thank you for your inquiry.
>
> Unfortunately your semi automatic configuration Olympic Arms AR 15A2
> firearm is classified as non-sporting and thus a non-resident can not
> temporarily bring the firearm into the United States for lawful hunting or
> sporting purposes.
>
> We trust the above information will be of assistance to you.  If you
> should have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact the
> Imports Branch at (202) 927-8320.
>
> Regards,
>
> FEA Directorate
>
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I TOTALLY dissagree with the BATF on this (no surprise here).  I think the AR-15's MAIN function is as a 'sporting rifle'.  I bet that THAT is what most people do with their AR-15 rifles.  They take them and shoot them for the sport of it.  No different than a bolt action being taken to the range, or a pistol being taken to the range, or a revolver taken to the range, or a black powerder rifle . . . .
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh I almost forgot ( ok I actually did but am now making up for it).  In their first response they also said that I cannot bring my disassembled 30 rd mags into the states and reassemble them for competitions ( they are illegal here in Canada)...

Damn I just cannot win for loosing!

Mind you I talked to some guys that go regularly and they said that the border guards do not even check their guns when they cross the border ( they go every weekend) they only want to see their Y38 forms which state that they are taking their toys home with them!!

The question is ....DO I RISK IT!!???
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't remember anything in the Second Amendment about "sporting purposes."

Seems like IPSC shooting with semi-auto rifles is a "sporting" application for the AR.

If you get busted --and the border patrol is there to bust people-- it's NOT like a traffic ticket.

Technically, you're smuggling illegal firearms into the country. That's just one step down the list from smuggling drugs into the country.

Good chance of losing your right to own a firearm -- forever. What's that worth to you?

Yeah, it sucks. No doubt about it. So does prison.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top